When is the first official practice? | The Boneyard

When is the first official practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Good question. The NCAA changed the practice calendar a few years ago and allowed women's basketball teams to begin practice 40 days before the first regular season game (still no more than 30 practice days). Geno has yet to take advantage of that rule change so I would expect the first official practice to occur after he returns from training camp in Vegas.

Reaction Score
In recent years, the first day of official practice has been the day after First Night (formerly The SuperShow) which, I believe, is on October 18th………so that would make Saturday, October 19th the first day of official practice.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In recent years, the first day of official practice has been the day after First Night (formerly The SuperShow) which, I believe, is on October 18th………so that would make Saturday, October 19th the first day of official practice.

I don't think that will be true this year. First Night was scheduled without regard to the day of practice for the men's or women's teams. The NCAA changed the calendar for when men's teams can begin practice (similar to women's rule) and the UConn men's first official practice was Sat. Plus, Oct 19 would be too late as the first exh game would be 11 days away and the first regular season game less than 3 weeks away. I expect practice to begin the week after Geno and his players return from Vegas (w/o Oct 7).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Today is Media Day in Storrs so we should hear when the first official practice will be. In the past the first official practice has been about 4 weeks before the first game (Nov 9) which would have practice beginning ~ Oct 10-12.

Reaction Score
I don't think that will be true this year. First Night was scheduled without regard to the day of practice for the men's or women's teams. The NCAA changed the calendar for when men's teams can begin practice (similar to women's rule) and the UConn men's first official practice was Sat. Plus, Oct 19 would be too late as the first exh game would be 11 days away and the first regular season game less than 3 weeks away. I expect practice to begin the week after Geno and his players return from Vegas (w/o Oct 7).

I did think Oct 19th was a bit late to have the first official practice, but not having heard anything to the contrary, I assumed UConn would follow what they’ve done in years past.
What you say makes more sense, UConnCat, especially with the rule change this year (official practice will probably start sometime during the second week of October).

With Media Day today, hopefully we’ll know more tomorrow.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The rule change was last year for the women. Maybe 2 years ago.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I did think Oct 19th was a bit late to have the first official practice, but not having heard anything to the contrary, I assumed UConn would follow what they’ve done in years past.
What you say makes more sense, UConnCat, especially with the rule change this year (official practice will probably start sometime during the second week of October).

With Media Day today, hopefully we’ll know more tomorrow.

Rich Elliott says 1st practice is Oct 19 while Carl Adamec says it'll be "in a couple of weeks." Sounds like Geno wasn't available to the media yesterday.

I still think Oct 19 is late but who knows. BTW, many teams have started this week.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I am paraphrasing Geno here, but he said something very close to " I expect our season to extend in to April, so I am not in a big hurry to start practices much before First Night..."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I am paraphrasing Geno here, but he said something very close to " I expect our season to extend in to April, so I am not in a big hurry to start practices much before First Night..."

Yes, he did say that when the rule was changed to allow practice to begin 40 days before the first regular season game rather than 30 days before. Geno has always started practice about 4 weeks before the first game. October 19 would be 3 weeks before the first game against Hartford which, like I said, seems just a bit late.

We'll know for sure practice has begun when the players announce they're off Twitter until April.

Reaction Score
Today is Media Day in Storrs so we should hear when the first official practice will be. In the past the first official practice has been about 4 weeks before the first game (Nov 9) which would have practice beginning ~ Oct 10-12.

Question about the picture behind Stef... Looks like they picked a player from each championship team to make up the montage. From what I can make out...

95- Rebecca
00 - Shea
09 - Tina
10 - Maya
13 - ??

Who did they select for 2013? is that Kelly?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Question about the picture behind Stef... Looks like they picked a player from each championship team to make up the montage. From what I can make out...

95- Rebecca
00 - Shea
09 - Tina
10 - Maya
13 - ??

Who did they select for 2013? is that Kelly?

I believe the last 3 faces on the right of the poster are:

Tina
Maya (very hard to make out) I see from Media Day covg that this figure is actually KML
Stef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer