When does Olympic team get announced? | The Boneyard

When does Olympic team get announced?

Reaction Score
<12 weeks from opening ceremonies (if they happen) ... shouldn’t the team be announced soon ???
  • Sure things:
    • Sue
    • Diana
    • Stewie
    • Griner
    • EDD
    • Aja
  • Other front line?
    • Tina
    • Fowles
    • Nneka
    • Pheesa
  • other G?
    • Loyd
    • Plum
    • Ionescu
    • C Gray
    • Angel
    • Diggins
    • McBride
?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Going to be interesting. Don't know about EDD. She still hasn't reported to camp because of her back surgery. My thoughts on the guards are Diggins, Gray and Lloyd??? I think. Glad I don't have to pick.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
As far as guards are concerned, Gray and Diggins are no-brainers if they're healthy, IMHO. I guess I'd want to see how Ionescu looks coming back - she's played all of 2.5 pro games, which seems like a stretch to make an Olympic team.

Reaction Score
As far as guards are concerned, Gray and Diggins are no-brainers if they're healthy, IMHO. I guess I'd want to see how Ionescu looks coming back - she's played all of 2.5 pro games, which seems like a stretch to make an Olympic team.
Loyd needs to be on the team, at least one guard needs to be able to play defense. Sue and Diana can run the team, don't need 2 more point guards.

Reaction Score
Stewart had maybe played 25 games in the WNBA prior to the olympic break in 2016. The committee seems to like adding a young player who appears to be the future of a particular position. Assuming she is healthy, I think Ionescu should be considered. She'd have the first half of the WNBA season to get a bit of experience, similar to Stewart. And thankfully, we have vets who can do the heavy lifting. She and Bueckers are the best young talent at the PG position, IMO.

Its a tough decision, but I'd go with:

Bird/Ionescu/Gray
Taurasi/Diggins-Smith
Delle Donne/McCoughtry
Stewart/Wilson/Ogwumike
Griner/Fowles

Last in for me are Gray and McCoughtry. Others fighting for spots would be Loyd, Collier, Charles, and Ogwunbowale.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Other then being a UConn fan, would you think DT should make the Olympic Team? She's not the same player she was a couple of years ago and is a defensive liability. Sue Bird is still playing at a high level and she's more of the QB of the team and not relied upon to score points. she is capable of hitting three point shots.

Reaction Score
Stewart had maybe played 25 games in the WNBA prior to the olympic break in 2016. The committee seems to like adding a young player who appears to be the future of a particular position. Assuming she is healthy, I think Ionescu should be considered. She'd have the first half of the WNBA season to get a bit of experience, similar to Stewart. And thankfully, we have vets who can do the heavy lifting. She and Bueckers are the best young talent at the PG position, IMO.

Its a tough decision, but I'd go with:

Bird/Ionescu/Gray
Taurasi/Diggins-Smith
Delle Donne/McCoughtry
Stewart/Wilson/Ogwumike
Griner/Fowles
Collier and Loyd over Angel and Gray.
Last in for me are Gray and McCoughtry. Others fighting for spots would be Loyd, Collier, Charles, and Ogwunbowale.
Collier and Loyd over Angel and Gray. Don't need 4 PG.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The roster for the 2018 World Cup in Tenerife was:

Bird
Taurasi
Plum
Clarendon

Loyd
DelleDonne
Wilson
Tuck
Charles
Ogwumike
Stewart
Griner

As always, Bird was terrific running the team and she'll be expected to do the same in Tokyo. Taurasi was also really good as she always is playing for USA BB. Plum and Clarendon were shaky, not quite ready to play in that environment. Loyd was shaky at first but then settled down and played pretty well, particularly on defense. Her play in Tenerife should give USA BB confidence that she can perform on the Olympic stage. USA BB is going to have to pick 1 or 2 guards who have never played on the World Cup stage much less the Olympic stage. Chelsea Gray and McBride maybe?

Nneka didn't play well at all in Tenerife and last summer she was not herself because of back problems. I'm sure USA BB will be watching her closely during the upcoming season. Napheesa may be picked over Nneka. Everyone discounts Tina but she has been the most consistent post player for USA BB since her first World Cup in 2010. She just shows up and plays well. Fowles didn't play in Tenerife (injury) but the presence of Cambage for the Aussies may guarantee her a spot on the team if healthy. Stewart, Griner and Wilson will be there, as will EDD if healthy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Other then being a UConn fan, would you think DT should make the Olympic Team? She's not the same player she was a couple of years ago and is a defensive liability. Sue Bird is still playing at a high level and she's more of the QB of the team and not relied upon to score points. she is capable of hitting three point shots.
Interesting take since DT's numbers last year in the bubble were pretty close to her career numbers in the W, her two games in the playoffs were even better, and can't knock her international experience.

The thing with USA basketball for star pro players is buying into the fact that you may actually be the fifth option and least talented player on the court at any given moment and the team is more important, and the team needs are more important than anything you usually do on the court on your pro teams. Some people don't get that, or it takes them a few outings to get that. That is part of why USA is so loyal to their players who do get that, and who show loyalty back by always being available even for the less glamorous world championships. Specific to that, I thought Angel was a prime example of a player who bought in immediately and cheerfully took a back seat to others whenever she was called. Her defense and energy was infectious.

Would like to see Sabrina get a shot, but suspect they will wait for next year's worlds since she is coming off injury. Not sure about other guards but suspect Loyd to be on the team. The WC has often been where USA sends out new talent and that competition is actually next year, not 2 years away as it normally is.

Reaction Score
Interesting take since DT's numbers last year in the bubble were pretty close to her career numbers in the W, her two games in the playoffs were even better, and can't knock her international experience.

The thing with USA basketball for star pro players is buying into the fact that you may actually be the fifth option and least talented player on the court at any given moment and the team is more important, and the team needs are more important than anything you usually do on the court on your pro teams. Some people don't get that, or it takes them a few outings to get that. That is part of why USA is so loyal to their players who do get that, and who show loyalty back by always being available even for the less glamorous world championships. Specific to that, I thought Angel was a prime example of a player who bought in immediately and cheerfully took a back seat to others whenever she was called. Her defense and energy was infectious.

Would like to see Sabrina get a shot, but suspect they will wait for next year's worlds since she is coming off injury. Not sure about other guards but suspect Loyd to be on the team. The WC has often been where USA sends out new talent and that competition is actually next year, not 2 years away as it normally is.
Both Diggins, and Gray are scoring guards, not what is needed in International play as PG. Stewie, Griner, A'Ja, Edd, Tina if she makes the team and Diana, Sue is a good 3 point shooter, and gets the ball to the right people.

Reaction Score
I'll guess
  • Sue, Diana, C Gray, Loyd, Plum, Diggins
  • Stewie, EDD
  • Griner, Aja, Tina, Fowles
Bubble: McBride, Nneka, Ionescu, Pheesa

Reaction Score
At least 5 players from 2016 won’t be back:
Whalen
Catchings
Maya
Angel
Augustus

7 still under consideration
Bird
Diana
Stewie
EDD
Griner
Fowles
Tina

Reaction Score
At least 5 players from 2016 won’t be back:
Whalen
Catchings
Maya
Angel
Augustus

7 still under consideration
Bird
Diana
Stewie
EDD
Griner
Fowles
Tina
The seven returnees, if healthy, should be given spots. I would add:

SDS
Loyd
Ionescu
Nneka
Wilson

The only reason Collier isn't on my team is there must be some young blood at guard so I gave 3 "young" guards a shot. If Fowles or EDD can't go then Collier would slide in there. If two players can't go then Arike would be next in line.

Reaction Score
The seven returnees, if healthy, should be given spots. I would add:

SDS
Loyd
Ionescu
Nneka
Wilson

The only reason Collier isn't on my team is there must be some young blood at guard so I gave 3 "young" guards a shot. If Fowles or EDD can't go then Collier would slide in there. If two players can't go then Arike would be next in line.
The 2018 Fiba world championship team with minutes played
Stewart- 26.8
Taurasi- 21.9
Loyd- 21.5
Charles- 20.0
Nneka- 15.6
Wilson- 14.8
Plum- 13.5
Clarendon 12.0
Tuck- 11.5
Bird- 20.2
EDD- 14.1
Griner- 20.7
Stewie,Taurausi, Loyd, Charles, Bird, Griner, Nneka, Wilson, and EDD if healthy are locks, Fowles also. Diggins and Sabrina are the last 2. Same coaches Staley, Seattle, and Lynx coaches.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The 2018 Fiba world championship team with minutes played
Stewart- 26.8
Taurasi- 21.9
Loyd- 21.5
Charles- 20.0
Nneka- 15.6
Wilson- 14.8
Plum- 13.5
Clarendon 12.0
Tuck- 11.5
Bird- 20.2
EDD- 14.1
Griner- 20.7
Stewie,Taurausi, Loyd, Charles, Bird, Griner, Nneka, Wilson, and EDD if healthy are locks, Fowles also. Diggins and Sabrina are the last 2. Same coaches Staley, Seattle, and Lynx coaches.
I don't see Charles as a lock, she hasn't been the same player she was back then.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Sabrina Ionescu isn't part of the group they will be selecting from unless that recently changed? She should be in my opinion though.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. Let her get some Olympic experience to ease the transition in the unlikely circumstance that Diana and Sue aren’t immortals.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'll guess
  • Sue, Diana, C Gray, Loyd, Plum, Diggins
  • Stewie, EDD
  • Griner, Aja, Tina, Fowles
Bubble: McBride, Nneka, Ionescu, Pheesa

Hmm. Some extra considerations and thoughts:
  • If the U.S. 3x3 team qualifies for the Olympics, Plum & A. Gray will be in that effort, not 5x5
  • Is EDD going to be healthy enough/ready to go for the Olympics?
  • With Angel out, Loyd is virtually a lock, particularly for defensive purposes
  • Ionescu is going to play a lot of years on this team, but I don't see the Committtee dropping her in the 5x5 out of nowhere. If she was going to get a gig, I thought it was on the 3x3, but Plum is there.

So, these names come out pretty easily:
  • Guard: Sue, Diana, Loyd, Diggins-Smith
  • (Big) Wing: Stewie, EDD (If EDD can't go, look for Napheesa Collier)
  • Centers: Griner, Wilson, Fowles

3 out of 5: Players the Committee Could Add:
  • Guards: C. Gray, K. McBride
  • Big Wing: Pheesa (particularly if EDD is not up to snuff)
  • Centers: Tina, Nneka

Looking ahead:
  • Guards: Ionescu for sure. Ogunbowale will get shots (no pun intended)
  • (Big) Wing: Phee's time will come
  • Center: I think Breezy Bri Turner will make this team and sooner than one thinks. Rebounding and defense go a long way.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As I posted above, the 2018 World Cup team is the relevant starting point for roster decisions, not the 2016 Olympics roster. Although the WC was almost 3 years ago, its the most recent of the two major international events.

Bird
Taurasi
Plum (Gray)
Clarendon (McBride/Diggins-Smith)
Loyd
DelleDonne/Collier
Wilson
Tuck (Fowles)
Charles
Ogwumike/Collier
Stewart
Griner

I struck the names Plum, Clarendon and Tuck because they won't be on the Olympic team. Plum will play 3x3 if USA qualifies; if not, I don't see her making the Olympic team as she played like she was in over her head in Tenerife.

Who else from the WC roster would you remove? The only other player who didn't play especially well (from my perspective as a spectator) was Nneka. I was surprised because she was terrific in Istanbul and I thought should have been on the 2016 Olympic team (no need to dredge up that discussion). Nneka's season in the Wubble was so-so but there was a lot going on including back problems. Does USA Basketball give Nneka another shot or do they go with Napheesa?

Fans always want to say goodbye to Tina even though, as I've said repeatedly, Tina has been USA Basketball's most consistent post player since 2010. Her efficiency has gone south in the WNBA but on the big stage for USA Basketball she has played really well. Fowles and Griner will be on the team because of Cambage so we can write in Fowles for Tuck.

In the past USA Basketball has put together a roster that includes 1 back-up point guard to Sue. The thinking likely was that Diana could play the point if necessary. Does that change because of Sue's age? If not, I'm thinking Gray gets the nod over Diggins-Smith. I say that because Gray's game seems to fit better with what USA Basketball wants to do and she would bring a different size and style than Sue much like Whalen did. Gray also has more experience playing internationally than Diggins-Smith and has a better resume. We wouldn't be having this discussion had Gray chosen to try out for the 2018 World Cup but that's a whole other story. If USA chooses to go with 2 back-up point guards then it will be Diggins-Smith. (This assumes Ionescu is not added to the roster.)

The other guard spot if no Diggins-Smith? I'd go with McBride. If EDD is not healthy? Napheesa and Nneka are both on the team.

Reaction Score
i think the team will be: Sue, Diana, Stewie, Griner, Aja, Fowles, Pheesa, EDD (if healthy), Diggins-Smith, Lloyd are all locks.

While Neeka and Tina are on the outside looking in. I think the WNBA season will influence if they make the team.

Stewie and Pheesa are decent ball handlers, so they can bring up the ball if needed.

McBride is a hot and cold shooter, she’s not particularly making waves in Minnesota. The Aces didn’t particularly highlight her on offense either. Grey does not have a 3-point shot. So, I don’t see them making the team at this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom