When are we going to get a coach who can sustain excellence? | The Boneyard

When are we going to get a coach who can sustain excellence?

Reaction Score
My wife asked this question yesterday. In one of the Courant articles yesterday on Geno's start at UCONN, it stated that Geno's record after his first game was 1-0. That is a 100% win percentage. It's been all downhill from there. He hasn't sustained that 100%!!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My wife asked this question yesterday. In one of the Courant articles yesterday on Geno's start at UCONN, it stated that Geno's record after his first game was 1-0. That is a 100% win percentage. It's been all downhill from there. He hasn't sustained that 100%!!!
Well it hasn't been all downhill. The last few years his winning percentage has been increasing. :rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well it hasn't been all downhill. The last few years his winning percentage has been increasing. :rolleyes:
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around (potentially) going 100-1 to get from 900 to 1000. I don't know why that micro record is more daunting that Geno's overall record, but it just makes my jaw drop.

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around (potentially) going 100-1 to get from 900 to 1000. I don't know why that micro record is more daunting that Geno overall record, but it just makes my jaw drop.
That is truly remarkable. Really rarefied air.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around (potentially) going 100-1 to get from 900 to 1000. I don't know why that micro record is more daunting that Geno's overall record, but it just makes my jaw drop.

Of course we have all been around for the last 99 wins, but it hit me the same way. It was just yesterday when the players were running around, all smiles, with their 900 glasses on.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
let's not count tomorrow night's chickens before they hatch. gotta have some suspense to savor the win (if and when it comes)....
;);)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This quote, that I stumbled on in looking for Geno's favorite perfection quote, says a lot and includes a friend he'll see Tuesday night:

"And when the game does start, says Coale, "the magic of Connecticut lies in how hard they play. Everyone wants to talk about how great their players are—and they are—but you don't beat people by the margin that they beat people unless you are incredibly disciplined to compete on every possession."

AURIEMMA OFTEN talks about the quest for the perfect game—he is fond of Vince Lombardi's line, "Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"—and this year he has found a particularly receptive audience. "Everybody here accepts the quest for the perfect game," says Moore. "We know we're not going to get it. We're going to make mistakes. But we go into every game thinking we won't have breakdowns. We're going to run hard, get every rebound we can, make every shot that we take."
Making A Run at Perfection

As a player you arrive at UConn knowing your team leadership absolutely expects you to buy into that quest for perfection. Every player knows, or hasn't been paying attention, that your coaches and your team mates expect you to stretch your effort beyond what you have believed is possible. But every player also knows that they can write their name into the story of the greatest dynasty in women's college sports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
let's not count tomorrow night's chickens before they hatch. gotta have some suspense to savor the win (if and when it comes)....
I said "potentially" but I'll add a "we're doomed" here just for you coach!

Reaction Score
This quote, that I stumbled on in looking for Geno's favorite perfection quote, says a lot and includes a friend he'll see Tuesday night:

"And when the game does start, says Coale, "the magic of Connecticut lies in how hard they play. Everyone wants to talk about how great their players are—and they are—but you don't beat people by the margin that they beat people unless you are incredibly disciplined to compete on every possession."

AURIEMMA OFTEN talks about the quest for the perfect game—he is fond of Vince Lombardi's line, "Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"—and this year he has found a particularly receptive audience. "Everybody here accepts the quest for the perfect game," says Moore. "We know we're not going to get it. We're going to make mistakes. But we go into every game thinking we won't have breakdowns. We're going to run hard, get every rebound we can, make every shot that we take."
Making A Run at Perfection

As a player you arrive at UConn knowing your team leadership absolutely expects you to buy into that quest for perfection. Every player knows, or hasn't been paying attention, that your coaches and your team mates expect you to stretch your effort beyond what you have believed is possible. But every player also knows that they can write their name into the story of the greatest dynasty in women's college sports.
We all like to warn that: The Perfect is the Enemy of the Good

often (falsely) attributed to Plato (believe me, I searched and searched, stupidly wasting hours, because it didn't make sense for Plato to say that), and not even an accurate version of what appears to be the original: Il meglio è nemico del bene (The better is enemy of the good)

but this entire, brief Wikipedia article is fascinating
Perfect is the enemy of good - Wikipedia

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just a thought.

Dmitry-Itskov-diagram-web.jpg

Reaction Score
This is what blows me away more than anything. Since the loss to ND on 3/12/13, UConn is 166-2 with both losses in overtime. That's truly amazing.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
After reading the title of the thread, I thought it was about Notre Dame. :D

Apologies to the simian.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So the last time we lost a game in regulation was 12 March 2013.

No one on the current team has ever lost a game in regulation.

Is a loss a loss or is a loss in regulation worse in the mind of a player than a loss in overtime?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The impossible ability of improving on perfection.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A little suspense and a little respect for their opponent. No matter their record. That's what makes for satisfying victories.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
got_mojo.png

Reaction Score
Naw this is one moment the truth shall prevail, chickens or eggs. Even Sherri knows the truth--and after the game shall be cheering with the Geno Fans as she is.

Reaction Score
Is a loss a loss or is a loss in regulation worse in the mind of a player than a loss in overtime?
Do you want the standard answer, then feel good answer, the logical answer (not from me), or the REAL answer---
With Geno any loss is a bad loss. With players the BAD Emotional loss is the Ot loss since you were given a 1st, 2nd and 3rd chance to win-and didn't . Of course spinners can spin a win into a loss and loss into a win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom