Wheels coming off in Durham | The Boneyard

Wheels coming off in Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I would love to hear some Duke fans give us their thoughts on the coach.
She did a good job at Maine...a good job at Michigan State...a special nod to her for MSU coming from double digits down
in the national semis to beat LadyVol.

But at Duke: no final fours...correct? Certainly they have had injuries but my from afar impression is that they
have underachieved under her watch. Toss in some seriously hideous losses to UConn.

When is her contract up? Do you renew her?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She did a good job at Maine...a good job at Michigan State...a special nod to her for MSU coming from double digits down
in the national semis to beat LadyVol.

But at Duke: no final fours...correct? Certainly they have had injuries but my from afar impression is that they
have underachieved under her watch. Toss in some seriously hideous losses to UConn.

Believe she just got a new contract extension!

Reaction Score
There have to be MAJOR issues there. You don't have somebody who has been as much a part of Duke wbb as Chloe Wells just pass up Senior Night. This may very well hasten the end for McCallie.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Does she have any eligibility left? I agree it's weird, but maybe there is more to the story.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, too, that the wheels are coming off, but if Wells' absence is a suspension because of something they're not telling us, then good for McCallie to suspend a player even though they're down a bunch. Good team behavior is good team behavior, no matter how many players down you are.

That said, I don't know if the absence was Wells' decision or the team's, so take this post as a big if.

Reaction Score
Wow. Huge reversal from the start of the season. This story is one for the record books. No one is invincible.
Every game, every day is a gift. Never take things for granted. Sure hope this is simply a matter of coincidences.
Duke, while not particularly liked by this poster, is a very good program with history, and usually a worthy opponent. Beating Duke helps define any team. Beating themselves would be tragic.

HGN

Reaction Score
Anyone heard from triaddukefan about his take on this matter ? Maybe he has some inside info on Wells absence and/or dismissal from the team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do think it may be hard for a senior who is injured and realizes her playing career is over to necessarily be a positive influence on the rest of the team - that is a traumatic event at a young age. It is possible continuing to attend team events was too painful for her. No idea if that is the case, but might be an explanation that would not reflect badly on either team or player.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I do think it may be hard for a senior who is injured and realizes her playing career is over to necessarily be a positive influence on the rest of the team - that is a traumatic event at a young age. It is possible continuing to attend team events was too painful for her. No idea if that is the case, but might be an explanation that would not reflect badly on either team or player.
True. When our very own Kirsten Walters finally had to give up her dream of playing, she couldn't be around the team. From what I remember reading it was too painful for her and she needed to get on with her life.

Don't know if that is the case with Wells though. With Walters it was 2 1/2 to 3 years of being on the fringes, dealing with injuries before she finally walked away. It's gotta be a tough decision.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
True. When our very own Kirsten Walters finally had to give up her dream of playing, she couldn't be around the team. From what I remember reading it was too painful for her and she needed to get on with her life.

Don't know if that is the case with Wells though. With Walters it was 2 1/2 to 3 years of being on the fringes, dealing with injuries before she finally walked away. It's gotta be a tough decision.

Triad will probably know better, but I believe Wells was actually attending games and sitting with the crowd. If it was too painful for her to just watch, I don't know if she would still be attending the games as a spectator.

Reaction Score
She did a good job at Maine...a good job at Michigan State...a special nod to her for MSU coming from double digits down in the national semis to beat LadyVol.

But at Duke: no final fours...correct? Certainly they have had injuries but my from afar impression is that they have underachieved under her watch. Toss in some seriously hideous losses to UConn.

Certainly you can visit their forum - "The Devil's Den".

There is a thread on Chloe's absence:
"Where was Chloe?" - but it doesn't really offer much more information than what we have here.

There are ongoing discussions about the coach. For what it's worth, my 2¢ is that if you remove the Connecticut games (UConn is Duke's Kryptonite) she's done well, except in the NCAAs. There are very few teams that have done better year in and year out than Duke in the McCallie years (Baylor and Notre dame come to mind; maybe Louisville as well?). Still, Final Fours and expected National Championships haven't happened and the fans are restless.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
There are ongoing discussions about the coach. For what it's worth, my 2¢ is that if you remove the Connecticut games (UConn is Duke's Kryptonite) she's done well, except in the NCAAs. There are very few teams that have done better year in and year out than Duke in the McCallie years (Baylor and Notre dame come to mind; maybe Louisville as well?). Still, Final Fours and expected National Championships haven't happened and the fans are restless.

In her 6.5 years at Duke, McCallie is 0-12 in games against #1 or #2 teams.

In her 6.5 years at Duke, McCallie is 7-20 (25.9 percent) against top five teams.

In terms of Final Four berths, UConn, Notre Dame, Louisville, Baylor, Stanford, and Oklahoma all have at least two Final Four berths in the time McCallie has been at Duke. UConn has 6, Stanford has 5, Notre Dame has 3, Baylor has 2, Oklahoma has 2, and Louisville has 2. During this time, Texas A&M, California, Tennessee, and LSU each have one berth in the Final Four (with Tennessee winning the title in 2008 and A&M winning in 2011).

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
My way or the Door and her non inclusive attitude toward her assistants. That plus
a inside first even if you cant make a lay up or hit from 10' Her tractor offense and a
total like of in game flexibility for starters.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
Certainly you can visit their forum - "The Devil's Den".

There is a thread on Chloe's absence:
"Where was Chloe?" - but it doesn't really offer much more information than what we have here.

Just for reference, if it appears there is a lack of activity on the Devil's Den, that forum and all the Scout.com forums were down for several days (unplanned) and nearly two weeks' worth of posts were lost when the forums were restored.

Reaction Score
My way or the Door and her non inclusive attitude toward her assistants. That plus
a inside first even if you cant make a lay up or hit from 10' Her tractor offense and a
total like of in game flexibility for starters.
Huh?

Reaction Score
In her 6.5 years at Duke, McCallie is 0-12 in games against #1 or #2 teams.

In her 6.5 years at Duke, McCallie is 7-20 (25.9 percent) against top five teams.

In terms of Final Four berths, UConn, Notre Dame, Louisville, Baylor, Stanford, and Oklahoma all have at least two Final Four berths in the time McCallie has been at Duke. UConn has 6, Stanford has 5, Notre Dame has 3, Baylor has 2, Oklahoma has 2, and Louisville has 2. During this time, Texas A&M, California, Tennessee, and LSU each have one berth in the Final Four (with Tennessee winning the title in 2008 and A&M winning in 2011).

May be a different way of looking at this is Duke is 7-1 against teams 3-5. That's not too bad!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
May be a different way of looking at this is Duke is 7-1 against teams 3-5. That's not too bad!
No, you misunderstood. Coach P is 0-12 vs. the top 2 teams and 7-20 vs, the top 5. You thought Camrncrz1974 meant 7/20, but he meant 7-20, so they are actually 7-8 (or 7/15) vs, teams 3-5. But you have a point, in that Duke really has an admirable record vs. teams 3-5, as .500 is pretty good against elite competition. But you gotta win some vs. the top 2 when you recruit better (or on a similar level) as them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom