What's Your Most Depressing Game in Past Few Years? | The Boneyard

What's Your Most Depressing Game in Past Few Years?

Reaction Score
I was talking to a friend about memories from the glory days--game vs Michigan, road trip to ND etc. and we listed most depressing games that left a scar. Mine was October 2017 vs Memphis where I invited friends from work and a cousin who went to U of Georgia. A competitive game at halftime turned into a 70-30 debacle. 70 points! To make matters worse, we somehow forgot the beer and wine, so all we had was a bottle of vodka and some Sprite as a mixer. Food was ok. After the game--car battery was dead. Waited 1 hour to get a jump from a nice cop.

Reaction Score
This is totally in retrospect and is based on what happened to the program after this game, but a very depressing game that I saw live was at Vanderbilt in 2011. It was Pasqualoni's 1st year. There was so much UConn talent on the field and it was a winnable game. It was very apparent that the coaching staff had no clue how to implement a game plan. The players were incredibly frustrated/confused with coaching decisions and the sideline was like a Chinese fire drill. It was truly a precursor to the impact of Hathaway's screwed up hire. It started the downfall of the program

Remember the 2011 had: Andrew Adams, Geremy Davis, Dwayne Gratz, Ryan Griffin, Byron Jones, Sio Moore, Blidi, Nick Williams, Trev Williams, Shemar Stephan, Smallwood, and Reyes. Those are the guys who actually played in the NFL. There were many more that got training camp invites.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This is totally in retrospect and is based on what happened to the program after this game, but a very depressing game that I saw live was at Vanderbilt in 2011. It was Pasqualoni's 1st year. There was so much UConn talent on the field and it was a winnable game. It was very apparent that the coaching staff had no clue how to implement a game plan. The players were incredibly frustrated/confused with coaching decisions and the sideline was like a Chinese fire drill. It was truly a precursor to the impact of Hathaway's screwed up hire. It started the downfall of the program

Remember the 2011 had: Andrew Adams, Geremy Davis, Dwayne Gratz, Ryan Griffin, Byron Jones, Sio Moore, Blidi, Nick Williams, Trev Williams, Shemar Stephan, Smallwood, and Reyes. Those are the guys who actually played in the NFL. There were many more that got training camp invites.
But RE can't recruit!!

Reaction Score
Outside the box answer but whoever the FCS team we beat in Diaco's last year. We had a decent year the previous season, there was all this talk we were ready to break out, this game was supposed to be our coming out party giving them a beatdown to show we were back as a good team. Then it looked just like every other fcs game is the past 5+ years and I knew we were in major trouble

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Riding the high of beating Houston a few years ago and driving down to see us get hammered Temple was a definite letdown.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
The most depressing game is the last loss, and when they pile up on top of each other, as they have over the past 8 years, the depressing feeling becomes overwhelming. I search for little morsels of improvement only to become more depressed because they are only illusions.

Reaction Score
I remember going to the Iowa State game in 2011. Close loss but the night got worse when I got home and heard Syracuse & Pitt announced that day they were bolting for the ACC. The bottom really fell out for the Big East that day. And for us.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
For me, reading the naysayers on the Boneyard daily is a game within the game. And its depressing.....

Reaction Score
Boise State last year. Record setting defensive collapse on national TV.

Reaction Score
I was talking to a friend about memories from the glory days--game vs Michigan, road trip to ND etc. and we listed most depressing games that left a scar. Mine was October 2017 vs Memphis where I invited friends from work and a cousin who went to U of Georgia. A competitive game at halftime turned into a 70-30 debacle. 70 points! To make matters worse, we somehow forgot the beer and wine, so all we had was a bottle of vodka and some Sprite as a mixer. Food was ok. After the game--car battery was dead. Waited 1 hour to get a jump from a nice cop.
Losing like we did last week to a bad South Florida team.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

That Memphis game sucked. In retrospect, that game and the Missouri game were such a sign of things to come.

The crazy thing is that we were really close to being 4-8 in 2017. That seems impossible now.

Reaction Score
2016 in general.. got to a bowl after a thrilling upset of Houston at home in 2015 and figured perhaps a bowl return was ready to go.

Maine - Barely escaped by 3 on a last second field goal (Maine was a 6 win 1AA team that year)
@Navy - Diaco's clock management costs the team a shot at a winning TD
Virginia - Seemed ok at the time, but UVA was bad, 2-10 bad and it took UVA missing a FG to sneak out a win
Syracuse - UConn plays with the Orange, but can't cover Etta-Tawo and loses (Syracuse finishes 4-8)
@Houston - UConn gets hammered
Cincinnati - The high point.... except the Bearcats were dreadful, firing their coach after a 3-9 season
-- Even at this point the club looked like two poor coaching efforts away from 5-1, at 3-3 there are still bowl hopes

@USF - Hammered
UCF - UConn controls the game in the first half, but comes away with three short FGs. A freshman McKenzie Milton and UCF dominate the second half to come back for the win
--- Now the wheels really fall off

@ECU - A dreadful team hammers UConn from start to finish 41-3
Temple - Donovan Williams at QB, new offensive coordinator, the silver unis. UConn falls behind 21-0 in the first quarter and the team visibly gives up, I leave disgusted by half time.
@BC - Let's make it three straight and 14 straight quarters without a TD, 30-0
Tulane - Tulane ends a 14 game AAC losing streak by hammering UConn at home..

Probably the only game that wasn't even slightly disappointing was Cincinnati. Even Virginia was one of those where you were frustrated the offense couldn't do anything to put the game out of reach.

Ultimately for me the end of any hope for Diaco came in the Temple game and just seeing the team visible demonstrate they didn't care anymore. I can handle being a fan of a bad team (obviously as I still attend every game), but I can't handle watching a team that no longer felt like fighting, so that was it for me.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
For some reason that Stony Brook game always comes to mind, when I realized an FCS team had the best player on the field and that our program was really falling off.

Reaction Score
For some reason that Stony Brook game always comes to mind, when I realized an FCS team had the best player on the field and that our program was really falling off.
Wagner also. Their LB got hurt trying to sack Beaudry.

Reaction Score
This past game vs. USF... Didn't seem like there was a full team effort... like we laid down in the 2nd half..... when were supposed to show a little more fight
I don’t know this is because it is so recent, but I don’t remember being as depressed as I was after last week. I know improvement isn’t linear, but it appeared to me that we could be regressing. I’ll feel better if it appears to have been only a blip.

At least the tailgate was great, as always.
6D14A9D0-58C0-464F-A0D0-3F100F6DAE29.jpeg

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom