What's wrong with this idea ... | The Boneyard

What's wrong with this idea ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Football (with strong Basketball games). Be the Pass-happy Fun League. The AFL of the mid to late 1960s: Force them to pay attention. Let's stop moaning.

It ain't about academics. (I know we need to be AAU ... sheesh) It might be about Markets (and that's why Tulane is preferable to UL Monroe); the current BE looks like the same footprint the guy who put together the USFL dreamed in 1982. Pissing on a 4 Time Zone conference never made sense to me ... cause if I am traveling to UConn games, San Diego is a helluva more interesting than Ames, Iowa. And Olympic Sports? Have the Cross-Country team run at the Park in the Bronx like they always have & the Women's Crew go row in that lake near Cornell. Who need freaking conferences? Money is the key.

The Aresco-Marinatto theme SHOULD have been: Get the Best Conference Games going (in Football) outside the Big Four.

• That's why Boise was important.
  • If ANY school wants to spend $2m on a Head Coach; and can guarantee that they can go to 30,000 attendance in 2014/and a TV rating in their Home market beyond those in the local hospital's ICU; and can demostrate Boosters who can throw Cash at Football - i.e. Memphis - You are in.
  • Big Cities not covered need to be thought about: that's why Northern Illinois has more appeal than Hattiesburg.
  • Any TV executive (all veterans, for sure, of the USFL & XFL) that wants to throw Cash at an untouched market ... we will listen to. That's how we get Tulane; isn't it?
If we have a hunting license (meaning a TV Contract that pays 5 times more than the MWC; 7 times more than the CUSA), we re-look at this again this time next year. The MWC & the CUSA have virtually NO Exit Fees.

Why am I writing this? Because I don't believe the B1G nor the ACC is giving us an Invite in the next half-decade. This is basically Pro Sports at this point. What Content can we Provide?

Warde Manual? The Modern-day Punching Clown. I understand that Cincinnati, USF, UConn have Voting Control now for the BE NOW. How about striking a deal NOW with Cincinnati to get somethings UConn wants. Let's stop listening to the Asshats that just nixed our participation in the BE Tournament. F- em. Do something.

Reaction Score
What's wrong? UConn's fan base isn't going to get excited about Tulane and the rest. The curiosity aspect of UConn football seems to be waning at just the wrong time. For or better or worse this is the league were in so I agree if you want to restore excitement over UConn football its going to have to be wide open, high scoring and fun to watch.

I'm going to continue to go to games. I'll learn to enjoy games against Memphis and I'm actually looking forward to Houston and SMU cause those were great programs when I was a kid and their names mean something to me. It will not however, be like games against SU, PITT, AND RU, but it is what it is. If the money ends up being close to ten million a year from TV we will stay afloat and that is all I care about at the moment.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'm beginning to think that it has been indicated to the UConn's upper echelon (read: Susan Herbst) that there will be a spot for UConn when the music stops playing. There is no time table and no definitive promise but I think that the B1G has indicated that UConn is xth in line where x is relatively sure to be reached in an indeterminate number of years. This is why no one talks about UConn and why Lousiville got the call from the ACC ahead of us.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Just in case anyone didn't notice. Our also ran conference status has effectively removed us from the latest CR scuttlebutt.

Of course it means nothing with respect to any realignment decisions, but the out of sight, out of mind effects are already setting in.

So important to get out of this mess.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm beginning to think that it has been indicated to the UConn's upper echelon (read: Susan Herbst) that there will be a spot for UConn when the music stops playing. There is no time table and no definitive promise but I think that the B1G has indicated that UConn is xth in line where x is relatively sure to be reached in an indeterminate number of years. This is why no one talks about UConn and why Lousiville got the call from the ACC ahead of us.
Mmmn, not so sure that the university would pass on guaranteed millions more, better scheduling and prestige today for a vague promise "in an indeterminate number of years."

Reaction Score
I'd love to think that, but in your opinion why does uconn have to be xth number member instead of 15th and added now?

Reaction Score
Just in case anyone didn't notice. Our also ran conference status has effectively removed us from the latest CR scuttlebutt.

Of course it means nothing with respect to any realignment decisions, but the out of sight, out of mind effects are already setting in.

So important to get out of this mess.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

That's why it's so important to win and win often. That's how you stay visible in a lesser conference.

Unfortunately getting out of this mess depends on people making decisions that may never get made, that really aren't directly about us.

UConn is a second order effect. We're what the ACC is going to call in order to replenish. We're what the B1G may call if 2-3 or more other schools decline.

Having a Top 25 program changes that. Winning in the double digits changes that.

Reaction Score
I'd love to think that, but in your opinion why does uconn have to be xth number member instead of 15th and added now?

Because there are so many other better options, unless of course you are talking about the ACC. In which case, we are their best or second best option.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Because I think UConn is on the right track. AAU is important to the B1G and I think that UConn moving towards that status is a big positive. I also think that the sentiment of Rutgers athletic dept being raised up as a bona fide B1G member also bodes well for UConn. That tells me that the B1G is willing to help grow a program. Also UConn is in the #30 market which does not include Fairfield County. #30+ FFLD County means eyeballs. Our strong showing on SNY helps. I think UConn has to a) continue to raise it's academic profile and apply for AAU while b) maintaining it's athletic success (which may be the tricky part). I won't say the B1G has us in the bag but we are definitely on their radar. I think the B1G would prefer UVA and UNC but Unc will snub them. That means if UVA says yes, we'd be the next most likely partner. If UVA says no, or the exit fee is prohibitive, we'll have to wait a while. Remember that UVA and UConn are the only members of Universitas 21 in the US. It's not AAU but it could be a selling point to overcome our current lack of AAU status, which again, is important to the B1G.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Agree totally on the AFL comparison, agree to disagree on the cross-country model being a good idea.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agree totally on the AFL comparison, agree to disagree on the cross-country model being a good idea.

That's where I am. The west coast is nowhere. No exposure to be had. But a wide open offense opens eyes and turns on TV sets. It certainly also adds people in the seats. It will also attract offensive talent. It is a no lose proposition at this point, and I think UConn is going this direction.

Reaction Score
Football (with strong Basketball games). Be the Pass-happy Fun League. The AFL of the mid to late 1960s: Force them to pay attention. Let's stop moaning.

It ain't about academics. (I know we need to be AAU ... sheesh) It might be about Markets (and that's why Tulane is preferable to UL Monroe); the current BE looks like the same footprint the guy who put together the USFL dreamed in 1982. Pissing on a 4 Time Zone conference never made sense to me ... cause if I am traveling to UConn games, San Diego is a helluva more interesting than Ames, Iowa. And Olympic Sports? Have the Cross-Country team run at the Park in the Bronx like they always have & the Women's Crew go row in that lake near Cornell. Who need freaking conferences? Money is the key.

The Aresco-Marinatto theme SHOULD have been: Get the Best Conference Games going (in Football) outside the Big Four.

• That's why Boise was important.
  • If ANY school wants to spend $2m on a Head Coach; and can guarantee that they can go to 30,000 attendance in 2014/and a TV rating in their Home market beyond those in the local hospital's ICU; and can demostrate Boosters who can throw Cash at Football - i.e. Memphis - You are in.
  • Big Cities not covered need to be thought about: that's why Northern Illinois has more appeal than Hattiesburg.
  • Any TV executive (all veterans, for sure, of the USFL & XFL) that wants to throw Cash at an untouched market ... we will listen to. That's how we get Tulane; isn't it?
If we have a hunting license (meaning a TV Contract that pays 5 times more than the MWC; 7 times more than the CUSA), we re-look at this again this time next year. The MWC & the CUSA have virtually NO Exit Fees.

Why am I writing this? Because I don't believe the B1G nor the ACC is giving us an Invite in the next half-decade. This is basically Pro Sports at this point. What Content can we Provide?

Warde Manual? The Modern-day Punching Clown. I understand that Cincinnati, USF, UConn have Voting Control now for the BE NOW. How about striking a deal NOW with Cincinnati to get somethings UConn wants. Let's stop listening to the Asshats that just nixed our participation in the BE Tournament. F- em. Do something.

Don't lose track of the one goal - one driving force - that I can determine to be in effect. 've previously defined the current time we are in as the Second Great Migration....but if anybody can come up with another explanation that provides a rhyme or reason to what's happening, I'm all ears. But again, to me, the one single driving force to all of this mess, in the midst of the Second Great Migration we're in, is to obtain the most lucrative media rights deal you can possibly get for your university athletic product broadcasting on television. It's pretty darn clear that there are better revenue streams available in certain conferences, than in others, but we're not in one of those conferences.

We're actually in limbo, because we're in a conference that doesn't have any media contracts right now for primary and secondary media tiers after 2013, and we're in a pickle actually with football, because our previous leadership left teh future schedules so empty after 2009.

You would hope (I do) that the leadership at our university is well aware of this, and is pretty intensely focused on it on a daily basis. The Big East conferences offices, really have nothing else to be working on right now, except our media deals . The AD really has nothing else to do right now, other than get our out of conference schedules starting to fill up in the future.

I think that now that the western expansion plan is officially kaput for the Big East, that we'll have a media deal in place sooner than later, and we'll be able to look at exactly how we stack up when it comes to migratory patterns in the landscape.

Reaction Score
Let me point out this: The last time I put out a screed that we needed to stick to our knitting & do the best with what we have in front of us ... the B1G brought in Maryland & Rutgers within 48 hours.

So there is that ...

You simply don't know what twists this will take. We are not moving quickly because we don't have decades of history in Bigtime Football - and the Fanbase & Brand that go with that.

I do fear being on an NBCSports or Fox Regional channel that I can't find. But, frankly, aren't we really most interested in Pumping our Fanbase regionally. That's why SNY is so important (and NESN if we can open a door). Fairfield County needs to be brought in for greater fans & the ability for the Content Jesters to feed those demographics. AND ... the next generation of UConn fans needs to step up. Us 50 year olds have had a wonderful run; but, our next decade is dependant on the Stakeholders that are 15-35 to become more rabid than I was.

Reaction Score
We need to put ourselves out there and do more shameless self promotion. We were a bunch of haters when Rutgers did that, but they were doing it right. We weren't doing enough of it.
That simply cannot continue.

We had four good seasons that we could have capitalized upon, but not much happened.

Let me point out this: The last time I put out a screed that we needed to stick to our knitting & do the best with what we have in front of us ... the B1G brought in Maryland & Rutgers within 48 hours.

So there is that ...

You simply don't know what twists this will take. We are not moving quickly because we don't have decades of history in Bigtime Football - and the Fanbase & Brand that go with that.

I do fear being on an NBCSports or Fox Regional channel that I can't find. But, frankly, aren't we really most interested in Pumping our Fanbase regionally. That's why SNY is so important (and NESN if we can open a door). Fairfield County needs to be brought in for greater fans & the ability for the Content Jesters to feed those demographics. AND ... the next generation of UConn fans needs to step up. Us 50 year olds have had a wonderful run; but, our next decade is dependant on the Stakeholders that are 15-35 to become more rabid than I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom