What's with fair catching KOs? | The Boneyard

What's with fair catching KOs?

Reaction Score
Twice we fair caught KOs with no opponent within 15 yards of the receiver. Both could have made ten yards before contact. That's one less first down you need to get to FG range.

Is Bob Diaco the new special teams coach? It's just another example of coaching scared or very conservative. It is very frustrating to watch. Hope they reassess this next week.

Reaction Score
I think fair catching a kick is just a bizarre rule. Not sure why you would ever do it but I saw many teams do it last year. I admit I don’t get it unless the guy is kicking from his 10 or something. You rarely see a ko guy gain zero.

Reaction Score
You don't want someone who doesn't know how to return to attempt to return it then fumble...
Yep, coaching scared, TEs were catching the ball, their job is catching and running after the catch. Just extremely conservative messaging to your own team.

Reaction Score
Get the ball on the 25. No penalties no injuries. No balls.

Reaction Score
Yep, coaching scared, TEs were catching the ball, their job is catching and running after the catch. Just extremely conservative messaging to your own team.
I don’t know. I’ve seen a lot of teams do it. I think it’s dumb. I think teams haven’t really figured it out well yet.

Reaction Score
You’re up three with under two minutes to go. You need to get one first down to seal the game regardless of field position. Not worth the extra ten yards and potentially fumbling the ball and giving a short field. Not to mention they were in onside recovery formation so there was really only one row of blockers to get to and they put some air under the kick. I know we’re in everything the team does is wrong mode, but this is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Reaction Score
You’re up three with under two minutes to go. You need to get one first down to seal the game regardless of field position. Not worth the extra ten yards and potentially fumbling the ball and giving a short field. Not to mention they were in onside recovery formation so there was really only one row of blockers to get to and they put some air under the kick. I know we’re in everything the team does is wrong mode, but this is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Yep. Something about a couple rugby passes across the field and scampering up the opposite sidelinE would just be a thing of beauty to watch though, wouldn't it?

Reaction Score
Twice we fair caught KOs with no opponent within 15 yards of the receiver. Both could have made ten yards before contact. That's one less first down you need to get to FG range.

Is Bob Diaco the new special teams coach? It's just another example of coaching scared or very conservative. It is very frustrating to watch. Hope they reassess this next week.

It appeared that Donovan Williams was caught a little bit surprised by the short kick. He then bobbled the kick after signaling for fair catch. I think he made the right call asking for fair catch.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It's a new rule. Can fair catch outside of the endzone and get the ball on the 25. Unless you have a very good return unit or there's a pretty short kick, it's not really worth the risk

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom