What's up with Georgia? | The Boneyard

What's up with Georgia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Undefeated, ranked #8, and losing badly to 6-5 Illinois.

Reaction Score
Undefeated in name only. Have not played anyone of any substance.

Reaction Score
They have closed the gap a bit; down 36-29 at the half.

I think they win this game easily in the second half, but I do not think they deserve their ranking and I think SEC play will expose them. So far they have only played Rutgers (won by 6) and Georgia Tech (by 10), they are an inflated undefeated #6. I think both Maryland and Penn State would beat them soundly.

Reaction Score
70 to 59 Georgia is no longer undefeated. No more cupcakes for the bulldogs. Weak SEC continues to disappoint.News at 11.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I misread, #6, not #8, even more astounding. Illinois is ranked #192 per Sagarin. They were down 31-13 at one time, then I thought I saw a close score in second half and assumed Georgia would pull it out, but they lost by 11.

Reaction Score
This further shows how biased the national polls are. Georgia at #6. LOL!!! SEC rules. Tenn has 3 losses already and are ranked #10. What a joke. Could you imagine if Uconn lost to a team outside the top 25 or 30. Tenn lost to a team in the top 250 and the Illinoie are unranked!!!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
The polls are not biased. They're a pain to participate in. Dare ya to put together your top 25.

Reaction Score
The polls are not biased. They're a pain to participate in. Dare ya to put together your top 25.
Well, I can promise you it would not contain the poser Bulldogs who just lost to the 190 ranked team in the polls by 11.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Undefeated, ranked #8, and losing badly to 6-5 Illinois.
It's deja vu all over again with Georgia. Every year Landers goes with the total cupcake early schedule without playing a single ranked team through the first dozen or so games, and then gravity is restored as soon as they meet a quality opponent, or SEC play begins...whichever comes first.

Reaction Score
WTF losses happen to many teams outside of the top 5. It's also the 1st game after Xmas, and some teams can come back sluggish.

But it will indeed be hard to assess GA because of its weak OOC schedule. Their "best" wins are GaTech & Rutgers, and I wouldn't bet on either of those teams making the NCAAs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Georgia missed 40 FGAs and 10 FTAs, shooting 34% and 56%, respectively.

When I saw their high early season ranking, I thought to myself, "Did they get Kaela Davis early?" Then I remembered that they didn't get her at all. :)

Reaction Score
They're a pain to participate in. Dare ya to put together your top 25.

I disagree. I put together a preseason top 25 and started to update it every week. The only reason I didn't was b/c (a) my opinion didn't matter, and (b) I have an unrelated job that keeps me busy 60+ hrs a week. But if I were voting in a national poll on a subject related to my daily job, it would've been quite easy to do a top 25 every week.

The problem with polls are the number of voters who put 5 seconds of effort into it every week, thereby leading to crappy results.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
WTF losses happen to many teams outside of the top 5. It's also the 1st game after Xmas, and some teams can come back sluggish.

But it will indeed be hard to assess GA because of its weak OOC schedule. Their "best" wins are GaTech & Rutgers, and I wouldn't bet on either of those teams making the NCAAs.
This loss you nailed, I suspect. While Georgia probably wasn't really a viable #6 team, pollsters are not charged with assessing the strength of schedule - there are a lot of teams still in the top 25 with dreadful SOS right now, and yes, some of them are in the SEC. The loss doesn't define how Georgia will succeed or not in the SEC. Or the NCAA's.

While the NCAA's do not look good for Tech, it is too early to decide on RU. It looks like our defense is really, really good - our offense of course, not so much.

Reaction Score
After losing to Illinois State and Bradley, the Illini could lay claim to being no better
than the 3rd best WCBB team in the state of Illinois (maybe 4th if they don't beat
Northwestern).

As an Illinois alum, I'd like to think that the return of Adrienne GodBold to the
lineup was part of the reason for today's win, and that henceforth the Illini will
be a legit contender for a spot in the middle of the Big 10 conference (rather than
contending for second to last).

By the way, Iowa drubbed Texas in Austin. If the Longhorns are still ranked in the
next poll there should be a congressional investigation.

Reaction Score
This loss you nailed, I suspect. While Georgia probably wasn't really a viable #6 team, pollsters are not charged with assessing the strength of schedule - there are a lot of teams still in the top 25 with dreadful SOS right now, and yes, some of them are in the SEC. The loss doesn't define how Georgia will succeed or not in the SEC. Or the NCAA's.

While the NCAA's do not look good for Tech, it is too early to decide on RU. It looks like our defense is really, really good - our offense of course, not so much.

Then what are they charged with? If you don't look at who a team has beated and lost to how do you rank them? Why isn't Colorado ahead of Baylor?

Reaction Score

What offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits