What's the biggest event(s) you had planned that was cancelled? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What's the biggest event(s) you had planned that was cancelled?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not being able to travel for work has been a blessing and it's about to come around 180 degrees and be a punch in the face. Basically all 2020 business travel will compressed in to 5 1/2 months. I know my company isn't going to miss out on contractual obligations because some of us will have to travel a bunch. Already prepped the wife for me being gone quite a bit.
Other than that? Had a kid graduate HS a few weeks ago. Graduation ceremony has been delayed twice already and they are now shooting for mid-June commencement.
Had a June vacation set up to meet up with some friends for a get together. Had to cancel that since several of us would have potentially had to quarantine upon return.
Overall, not much of an inconvenience for me yet.
Any of your type travel replaceable by, say, Zoom meetings? Some is and will impact air and hotel business from business travelers.

Reaction Score
Any of your type travel replaceable by, say, Zoom meetings? Some is and will impact air and hotel business from business travelers.
We have had quarterly planning sessions replaced by Zoom meetings. Not that big a loss, we can do just as much via Zoom except for the info sessions in the bars. There were only a few people that I cared to spend time with anyway. The rest were done after a beer or two. Had some good sessions in Nashville and Denver and one was planned for Austin in March that was cancelled. We will probably never resume the number of meetings that we had.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Unfortunately no for a couple of reasons. Since part of my line in work is "engineering services" (Calling it training sounds wimpy), we do mostly hands on work with our customers showing them how to use new equipment and stuff. Safety aspect of trying to do it remotely and putting name on a certificate saying they are competent without hands on observation is a safety concern customers haven't been willing to overlook.
Also, getting computers from different networks and different security requirements with proprietary information is a real PITA when it comes to sharing information.

I was talking with one of my co-workers from my previous job last week. He had some time constrained stuff he had to do out on the west coast which required a group to travel out there. They needed high level approval from within his company to travel and high level approval from the customer. The team had to travel, quarantine for 14 days, do their work and upon home quarantine again. Basically losing 28 days total to get the work done.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
March madness with my college friends in Vegas cancelled.
This August I have a bucket list trip to Grand Canyon mule ride down to phantom ranch. Not likely I know but hoping to that still goes on.

Reaction Score
Big East Tournament. Bought 2 books from Xavier. Sucks. Every year I’ve tried to go something comes up. Maybe it’s just not meant to be.

Reaction Score
Our Summer Trip to CT
Ever getting my wife on a plane again will be a chore.

Reaction Score
Thats a biggie. Will you be replanning? or very private thing going forward?
Both sort of. Keeping the original date for the ceremony w/ a few people and moving the actual reception to April of next year.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Three week tour of Italy, Greece and the Balkans over Xmas/NY.

Reaction Score
My wedding
Sorry to hear about your wedding.

I understand your wedding was cancelled/postponed, but did you still get married? You know Justice of the Peace or something similar.

I'm married but I could see my wife hell bent on still making it official regardless of an audience. Not that I was a great catch, but her grandmother told her some stupid stuff like I wouldn't 'buy the cow if the milk was free'. Her grandmother was a big influence in her life, even with her mother around.

Sucks because the powdered milk was ruining our my romance, plus the ultimatum came. In her defense it was going on 5 years, but still I was angry at her grandmother for ruining a good thing.

(Sorry for the story, just that you brought back a memory from 40+ years ago.)

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
4 concerts, 3 weddings, trip to visit wife's family, and a vacation

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The two bands I play in lost 2 gigs each. A lot of work and prep wiped out. Plus we haven't been able to rehearse since 3/15 because each band is over 10 people. May not be able to begin again for another 2 weeks at least.

Our two sons, who live in CT, were coming down to Florida with the grandsons to visit. That got wiped out. They're using their vacation money to stay afloat financially. One was furloughed. He works in New York and no word when Cuomo will open things up. Car dealerships are deemed non-essential. The other was cut to part time (50%) working at home. No word from Lamont when he can go back in.

Reaction Score
Both sort of. Keeping the original date for the ceremony w/ a few people and moving the actual reception to April of next year.
Congrats on your wedding. Hope its a great celebration next year.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Why? I can understand you hating it if you're a hotel owner but in my experience it's awesome for travelers.

Vacation destinations I’m ok with.

It destroys housing prices in habitable, workable cities.

It’s very much like Uber. Too much of a good thing screws everything.

Reaction Score
SO defended her PHD a few weeks ago. No graduation. She's actually happy it's canceled but I'm a little bummed.

2 weddings postponed. One that stings is my brother's.

24 day Trip to Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam as her grad present postponed.

State playoffs cancelled + no aau season.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Never seen Clapton. I'm 26 so never really got too into him, though there's no denying he's talented
I think the post asks if you have ever seen Clapton around town in Columbus because he lives there and I'll add have you ever seen Jason Day out and about in Columbus? He's a pro golfer who lives in Columbus, too.

Reaction Score
I think the post asks if you have ever seen Clapton around town in Columbus because he lives there and I'll add have you ever seen Jason Day out and about in Columbus? He's a pro golfer who lives in Columbus, too.
Ah gotcha, I live in CT but a college friend lives in Columbus so was going out there to see him and a few bands we like

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
My nephew's wedding.
My sons law school graduation.
We made a bucket list trip to Macchu Picchu, the Galapagos Islands and Rapa Nui in December 2019. My heart goes out to those of you who've had to cancel your wedding or those who had a big trip cancelled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom