What's On geno's Mind These Days | The Boneyard

What's On geno's Mind These Days

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, there is Baylor and there is Notre Dame!

"Sometimes deep and meaningful. Sometimes light and breezy. Sometimes cutting. It has been little surprise over the years that when the UConn women go on the road against their biggest, baddest opponents, Auriemma’s pre-game introduction often is met with an assortment of boos, hisses and clever signs.

Not Baylor. No, not Waco. On Dec. 18, 2011 and again on Jan. 13, 2014, the Huskies’ Naismith Hall of Fame coach and provocateur received a Texas-sized welcome at Ferrell Center. There’s little reason there won’t be a repeat Thursday night when No. 1 UConn visits the No. 8 Bears.

So what’s up with the Baylor love?
“A church-affiliated school that actually takes their mission seriously to be nice to people,” Auriemma said. “Not like some schools that we play.”

And there is more. Jeff Jacobs: A new year’s resolution to savor the dominant

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Best snippet

Auriemma asks if I know what Notre Dame’s record is in BCS/CFP games. Yes, it’s 0-6, all double-digit losses. He seems content. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Reaction Score
I remember watching a game a few years back and there was a lot of cheering when Geno’s name was announced before the game. I think the announcers were right that night when they said those fans recognize great women’s basketball. Baylor is well coached and—though they’ve had slip ups even with great talent in recent years for who knows why—they are always a tough team. I enjoy watching UConn play them.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

"Sometimes deep and meaningful. Sometimes light and breezy. Sometimes cutting. It has been little surprise over the years that when the UConn women go on the road against their biggest, baddest opponents, Auriemma’s pre-game introduction often is met with an assortment of boos, hisses and clever signs.

Not Baylor. No, not Waco. On Dec. 18, 2011 and again on Jan. 13, 2014, the Huskies’ Naismith Hall of Fame coach and provocateur received a Texas-sized welcome at Ferrell Center. There’s little reason there won’t be a repeat Thursday night when No. 1 UConn visits the No. 8 Bears.

“A church-affiliated school that actually takes their mission seriously to be nice to people,” Auriemma said. “Not like some schools that we play.”

I wonder if Geno forgot about the Baylor University scandal that culminated , in 2016, with the firing of the football coach and university president. The prominent law firm hired to investigate the matter found the school and its administration did too little to protect the students from a culture of assault and cover ups. The faith based school hired former Whitewater prosecutor Ken Starr to be president and chancellor after his much lauded effort to expose the Clinton - Lewinsky scandal. However , it was found that he lacked the same zealous effort when it came to sexual assault scandals on his own campus. Kinda ironic! I am certain that the leadership of the school was disappointed, to say the least, with the performance. They have taken the appropriate steps to heal the institution, and should be given credit for their actions. Too bad it took so long to be publicly exposed. I suppose it is the common flaw that binds most large institutions to be unable to see their own faults and excise them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

8:01 mark of this video. Masterful!

Reaction Score
Here's a quote from the Jeff Jacobs article.

“It has always amazed me,” Auriemma said. “Ever since we’ve gone down there (to Waco), I remember walking in the gym the very first time we played them, thinking, ‘I’d like to bring them home with me. These people are great. They appreciate me.’ I don’t know (why). It’s a good question.”

...that Geno, he's such a kidder. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom