What's next for Team USA's backcourt? | The Boneyard

What's next for Team USA's backcourt?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"But at least one of the top 20-something point guards in the U.S. pool seems likely to be included on this team, too. The top candidates at this camp were Dallas' Skylar Diggins-Smith, Atlanta's Layshia Clarendon and Los Angeles' Chelsea Gray."

What's next for Team USA's backcourt?

I have two words for USA Basketball: Moriah Jefferson

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I am hoping that Dee and Sue both make the 2020 team....for their experience and leadership.
I'm 'kinda' hoping that they come off the bench...when/if things go sidewise. We definitely need some
youth at guard....the 2018 World Championship roster might be THE place to see our 2020 guards.
Moriah's name on a list of candidates would be a welcome sight.

Reaction Score
I am hoping that Dee and Sue both make the 2020 team....for their experience and leadership.
I'm 'kinda' hoping that they come off the bench...when/if things go sidewise. We definitely need some
youth at guard....the 2018 World Championship roster might be THE place to see our 2020 guards.
Moriah's name on a list of candidates would be a welcome sight.
I think Sue & DT unless they have an injury or begin to lose it as they continue to age, will be valuable members of the team. What they both bring (especially together) is unmatched.
As to Moriah I think as often happens here, many of us get carried away. She's an excellent young developing pro player who will continue to improve. Being part of the U Conn culture and her role in that history will surely serve her well. I just don't see her now or likely even in the next two years to be the next or second in line, to be a serious consideration.
Bronx23

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Sue & DT unless they have an injury or begin to lose it as they continue to age, will be valuable members of the team. What they both bring (especially together) is unmatched.
As to Moriah I think as often happens here, many of us get carried away. She's an excellent young developing pro player who will continue to improve. Being part of the U Conn culture and her role in that history will surely serve her well. I just don't see her now or likely even in the next two years to be the next or second in line, to be a serious consideration.
Bronx23
I have to disagree with your assessment on Moriah being ready for a USA basketball. When you consider the players that are in contention for a guard position: Layshia Clarendon, Chelsea Gray, Skylar Diggins, and Odyssey Sims , & Kmac (I sure I'm missing someone) Moriah is right there in the mix and actually ahead in certain categories like on ball defense and the ability to break down the other team's defense.

Reaction Score
2018 is an excellent opportunity to break in young guards. Sue and DT should be there as long as they are healthy. Diggins-Smith would be on my team for sure and I would be tempted to make Gray the other additional guard.

Jefferson is terrific when healthy and could get her chance someday. She has the tools.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
At this point, if they don't take Skylar, I worry it will never happen. I will admit my blatant homerism but I honestly think she is the best choice.

And I don't want to hear anyone talking about how she's not enough of a passer for USAB.

Last WNBA season, SDS had 6.1 assists per 36 minutes and a 31.3 assist percentage. Sue Bird's career stats in those categories are 6.1 ast/36 and 32.0 ast%.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
At this point, if they don't take Skylar, I worry it will never happen. I will admit my blatant homerism but I honestly think she is the best choice.
And I don't want to hear anyone talking about how she's not enough of a passer for USAB.
Last WNBA season, SDS had 6.1 assists per 36 minutes and a 31.3 assist percentage. Sue Bird's career stats in those categories are 6.1 ast/40 and 32.0 ast%.
I agree with you. USA basketball should just add KLS and Skylar and call it a day for 2018 World Championship as replacements for Catch and Whalen.
Oops... Forgot and had to edit my own post. KLS is looking a surgery this summer for her foot maybe. That's enough to take her out of consideration.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom