Whatever happens in realignment in the near future, I like what UConn has done to raise its profile | The Boneyard

Whatever happens in realignment in the near future, I like what UConn has done to raise its profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm going to say this now before any announcements are made, or not made, about conference realignment. UConn has obviously been raising its profile (more research, adding/upgrading facilities, increasing enrollment, expanding staff, harder to get in, etc.). It is now a top 20 public university. Even if this does not translate into getting a seat at the big boy table (the P5), all these improvements will be good for the state and the people that call it home.

So, thank you powers-that-be who have made this commitment to our flagship university.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I'm convinced that Herbst and Manuel are doing more than monitoring the situation this go around.

Maybe it is just wishful thinking and I have had my tinfoil hat on for too long. But maybe the reason the Michigan AD search is taking so long is that Manuel has been already been selected for the position, but he/they know a big conference realignment announcement is in the making shortly. He wants to wait until that is finalized before he official leaves for Michigan. Talk about going on a high note and proverbially "dropping the mic"--if he could have his last act as UConn AD be a press conference announcing UConn is joining a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
Maybe it is just wishful thinking and I have had my tinfoil hat on for too long. But maybe the reason the Michigan AD search is taking so long is that Manuel has been already been selected for the position, but he/they know a big conference realignment announcement is in the making shortly. He wants to wait until that is finalized before he official leaves for Michigan. Talk about going on a high note and proverbially "dropping the mic"--if he could have his last act as UConn AD be a press conference announcing UConn is joining a P5 conference.
Man, I like your thinking...however delusional it might be!

(And, yes, it is delusional.)

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm going to say this now before any announcements are made, or not made, about conference realignment. UConn has obviously been raising its profile (more research, adding/upgrading facilities, increasing enrollment, expanding staff, harder to get in, etc.). It is now a top 20 public university. Even if this does not translate into getting a seat at the big boy table (the P5), all these improvements will be good for the state and the people that call it home.

So, thank you powers-that-be who have made this commitment to our flagship university.

I totally agree that I love what the university has done. However, as sad as it may be, our sustained success and improvement are hugely contingent on conference realignment.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Tangentially, Congress approved a moderate but significant increase in the NIH budget. Even though it's years overdue, that could help some of the new research faculty get funding.

Reaction Score
How about Manuel: "I am going to join the Big 10, AND I'M TAKING UCONN WITH ME!"

Reaction Score

If Warde pulled that off - announcing UConn is joining the B1G and then leaving for Michigan, UConn fans should throw him a parade stretching from Storrs to Bradley and I'll pitch in a crowdfunding effort to buy him a ticket from Bradley to DFW (or Willow Run) on the most luxurious charter jet possible.

Reaction Score
While we're being delusional, if I'm the lone winner of powerball Saturday evening, I'll donate half of the after tax winnings to: RENT expansion, on campus Ice forum construction & the endowment fund. THAT should gussie up the resume.

Reaction Score
coachcap said:
While we're being delusional, if I'm the lone winner of powerball Saturday evening, I'll donate half of the after tax winnings to: RENT expansion, on campus Ice forum construction & the endowment fund. THAT should gussie up the resume.

Better man than me...if I am the lone winner the last thing on my mind will be conference realignment.

Reaction Score

Isn't there a way of donating that money and deducting it off your taxes? Anyway, good luck.

Reaction Score
I totally agree that I love what the university has done. However, as sad as it may be, our sustained success and improvement are hugely contingent on conference realignment.

I know. I'm in the camp that recognizes the funds necessary for the sustained success and improvement to date does not get raised (public and private) without the success of the athletic program (pretty much starting in 1988 when the men won the NIT and then the dream season year of 1990 and Gino's first trip to the final four in 1991). Therefore, that is why I check this board multiple times daily for realignment news. I am afraid, as are the rest of us who get it, that the money and political will needed to continue UConn's improved profile will dry up if we miss the P5 bus.

I hope we have good news soon. I hope.

HopeIsAGoodThing-WiserIE.jpg

Reaction Score
If Warde pulled that off - announcing UConn is joining the B1G and then leaving for Michigan, UConn fans should throw him a parade stretching from Storrs to Bradley and I'll pitch in a crowdfunding effort to buy him a ticket from Bradley to DFW (or Willow Run) on the most luxurious charter jet possible.

If that happens I'll give him a piggy back ride to Ann Arbor, even if it kills me (which it probably would).

Reaction Score

Nah - you need to do it FIFA style. Line some pockets.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Southington already had a $1 million winner in this PowerBall. No way we strike it rich here twice! Gotta dream though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom