What would you like to see in new arena? | The Boneyard

What would you like to see in new arena?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I recently visited Ingalls Arena. I noticed the unusual shape and the acoustics and figured they're related.
I was just curious to see what your thoughts were of the arena outside of the location.

Reaction Score
Good sight lines for all seats, a designated place for the band, sufficient concession and bathroom facilities, great acoustics so that the crowd noise is amplified, easy to get to on campus for students...and MOST of all a minimum capacity of at LEAST 5500!

Reaction Score
Maybe a small balcony section in the student section behind the goal that UConn shoots at twice. Seem like they're right on top of the visiting goalie.

Reaction Score
This logo

BTC-Outlined-1-Color-Logo.jpg

Reaction Score
Even if UConn got into the B1G we still don't know if they would leave HE.
There wouldn't be that choice to make...UCONN would be a member of the B1G and they have hockey as a league sport..case closed.

Reaction Score
Good sight lines for all seats, a designated place for the band, sufficient concession and bathroom facilities, great acoustics so that the crowd noise is amplified, easy to get to on campus for students...and MOST of all a minimum capacity of at LEAST 5500!
... and a good sized SRO

Reaction Score
Kind of a crazy thought, but perhaps worth mentioning. Notre Dame and the Compton Family Arena hosted the Midwest Regional. Any possibility of Storrs and the new arena hosting a regional?

Reaction Score
Kind of a crazy thought, but perhaps worth mentioning. Notre Dame and the Compton Family Arena hosted the Midwest Regional. Any possibility of Storrs and the new arena hosting a regional?
It will have to be big enough to even be in the mix (BC, Providence and BU comparable) and there needs to be enough hotel rooms available near by as well. They would have a much better shot with the XL Center.

Reaction Score
Vintage architectural elements from old arenas. Maybe a vintage facade. We all know the interior won't be vintage. Unless it's emulating ceiling/bowl design.

Maybe lots of glass to remind us of how we used to play outdoors. Glass all the way around, allowing views of the ice.

Reaction Score
Virtually no shot unless the rules are changed for the tournament to go back to campus sites. The only reason ND got the bid is because there were literally no other applicants for the Midwest regionals. The NCAA has had lots of major attendance issues with the Midwest sites, since there's no good place to hold it at a "neutral" site. Grand Rapids, Toledo, Fort Wayne, Green Bay, etc. have been abject disasters. The two eastern sites have never had attendance problems, so they'll only go to campus sites if the rules formally change.

That said, it would be a good idea for UConn to bid to host with XL as the site. I think even if they're still using it as a formal home site, the NCAA would give it a look. It's certainly more accessible as a one-day drive for the Massachusetts schools than Bridgeport. Less accessible from NYC, but there aren't that many coming from there anyway. And if UConn were able to make it to the tournament, they'd be automatically placed there.

Reaction Score
Virtually no shot unless the rules are changed for the tournament to go back to campus sites. The only reason ND got the bid is because there were literally no other applicants for the Midwest regionals. The NCAA has had lots of major attendance issues with the Midwest sites, since there's no good place to hold it at a "neutral" site. Grand Rapids, Toledo, Fort Wayne, Green Bay, etc. have been abject disasters. The two eastern sites have never had attendance problems, so they'll only go to campus sites if the rules formally change.

That said, it would be a good idea for UConn to bid to host with XL as the site. I think even if they're still using it as a formal home site, the NCAA would give it a look. It's certainly more accessible as a one-day drive for the Massachusetts schools than Bridgeport. Less accessible from NYC, but there aren't that many coming from there anyway. And if UConn were able to make it to the tournament, they'd be automatically placed there.
There were a few games this year that I had to travel from my firehouse NYC instead of leaving from home...Hartford is an easier drive from NYC than you think..

Reaction Score

I have no facts; but, am surprised about Grand Rapids. I caught some AHL games years back and always found them to draw well. They game in #5 in the AHL for 2014/5 with 8K per game average. Plus, downtown GR is getting boost from Grand Valley moving a lot of their grad programs just across the river from downtown and Michigan St building their medical school just north of downtown. Couple of bars downtown, too; but, the city is in the middle of Michigan's bible belt, which cuts down on the nightlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom