What would the state do to get an NFL team? | The Boneyard

What would the state do to get an NFL team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They should be making all the same moves/concessions to get UConn into the B1G, because this is as close as its going to get and now is the time.

I just looked at the Google satellite image of Storrs (I'm an alum but its been 25 years) - there are plenty of sites for a future stadium. Lets get some roads built.

Reaction Score
State does not need to do anything. Fans need to buy season tickets, show up to home games and travel to away games. AD needs to do its part to help make that happen.

When I was living in Tucson - I went to an Wisconsin vs. Arizona game in late September. There were about 15,000 Wisconsin fans there. I will guarantee you that if we start traveling like that ACC/B1G will be begging us to join.

Reaction Score
Hartford is NOT getting an NFL team. Kraft only talked about it to milk more money out of Mass to get Gillette Stadium built. The Giants, Jets, and Pats would all claim CT as their territory and they will block any move. Plus, the NFL is more obsessed trying to get a team back in LA, even if no one if LA seems to care. It’s all about the TV’s.
As for Storrs, as much as an on-campus stadium would be awesome from a student perspective, it is not feasible unless I-384 was extended from Manchester to Storrs. Route 195 and US 44 cannot handle the traffic a +50K stadium would generate. I would much rather see a ‘new’ Gampel with 12K on campus for basketball (and hockey, now that BB will have a practice facility). Of course, I sometime wonder how easier all of this would be if UConn was located in a more central, acessible location, say where CCSU is…

Reaction Score
Actually, the Patriots did come close to moving to CT. The lease was favorable for the Patriots, but the NFL objected and Kraft went with loyalty to Massachusetts. One of his sons was saying that the Hartford deal was better.

Reaction Score
CT already had AWESOME pro football with the Hartford Colonials (RIP) of the UFL.

Best team that basically never was lol

Reaction Score
People: the "pro" team would be your UConn Huskies.

Reaction Score
Point6 is saying that the value of UConn in the B10 is similar to having an NFL team. Wouldn't the state pull out all the stops if we could get an NFL Team? Then why not work harder to get UConn in the B10?

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure what that means - work harder to get into the B1G. If they're not calling, there is no spot.

Reaction Score
State does not need to do anything. Fans need to buy season tickets, show up to home games and travel to away games. AD needs to do its part to help make that happen.

When I was living in Tucson - I went to an Wisconsin vs. Arizona game in late September. There were about 15,000 Wisconsin fans there. I will guarantee you that if we start traveling like that ACC/B1G will be begging us to join.
Chicken and Egg. Who wants to travel to see UConn play Tulane? ECU? I doubt Wisconsin would get too many people to travel to those games. (Arizona is also convenient here--its the Midwest's answer to the East Coast's Florida. Retirees all go there).

The other thing: it's not just success of the program, it's longevity. Students care about important football. There's only been a decade of that at UConn. The longer UConn continues to play real football, the more the fanbase will grow. That's why, at this stage, being in NCUSA kills them. Nobody cares about seeing Memphis come to town.

Reaction Score
Chicken and Egg. Who wants to travel to see UConn play Tulane? ECU? I doubt Wisconsin would get too many people to travel to those games. (Arizona is also convenient here--its the Midwest's answer to the East Coast's Florida. Retirees all go there).

The other thing: it's not just success of the program, it's longevity. Students care about important football. There's only been a decade of that at UConn. The longer UConn continues to play real football, the more the fanbase will grow. That's why, at this stage, being in NCUSA kills them. Nobody cares about seeing Memphis come to town.

I will do Tulane each time. New Orleans is too much fun. ECU and the outer banks would work in September/October for a long weekend.

Reaction Score
I will do Tulane each time. New Orleans is too much fun. ECU and the outer banks would work in September/October for a long weekend.
Great! In all sincerity, we need more people like you who not only have the money to, but also are are willing to, make a weekend of UConn playing a 2-10 team that is hours away and requires a flight.

Reaction Score
The only way I'm going to watch UConn in New Orleans is if we are playing Boise in the NNBE Championship game.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
The only way I'm going to watch UConn in New Orleans is if we are playing Boise in the NNBE Championship game.

That better happen soon because I read an SI article today that says the Pac 12 has no immediate plans to expand but if/when they do, Boise and SDSU will get strong consideration. It's like this CR stuff is never going to end.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Why would the PAC-12 add Boise.. seriously? Does it give you a nationwide fan base, like BYU? Is Boise Idaho a prime recruting territory? Did Eastern Washington sudden become a top 10 media market when I wasn't looking?

Frankly I'd be more worried about Houston and SMU...

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
They should be making all the same moves/concessions to get UConn into the B1G, because this is as close as its going to get and now is the time.

I just looked at the Google satellite image of Storrs (I'm an alum but its been 25 years) - there are plenty of sites for a future stadium. Lets get some roads built.

A stadium in Storrs ain't happening. Ever. There may be land, but there is no infrastructure and TONS of local opposition. You would also eliminate the southern part of the state from attending. East Hartford is the perfect spot.

Reaction Score
A stadium in Storrs ain't happening. Ever. There may be land, but there is no infrastructure and TONS of local opposition. You would also eliminate the southern part of the state from attending. East Hartford is the perfect spot.
Sorry, but you can't tell me that if UConn had a home game in Storrs vs a top 25 OSU or Michigan tbat the southern half of the state wouldn't be attending due to an extra 20 minute drive.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but you can't tell me that if UConn had a home game in Storrs vs a top 25 OSU or Michigan tbat the southern half of the state wouldn't be attending due to an extra 20 minute drive.

Infrastructure. Infrastructure. Infrastructure.
You would need a TON of it to support a stadium out there. Not only is it costly, but local opposition would be huge. No way it's gonna happen.

Reaction Score
Why would the PAC-12 add Boise.. seriously? Does it give you a nationwide fan base, like BYU? Is Boise Idaho a prime recruting territory? Did Eastern Washington sudden become a top 10 media market when I wasn't looking?

Frankly I'd be more worried about Houston and SMU...

Boise has become a national brand. They would improve quality, and they would attract viewers. A Boise-BYU combo would be a nice addition.

The PAC ain't adding Houston & SMU anytime soon. They can do much better than that.
Perhaps if they perform really well in the next decade & the B12 loses some teams, it might go after them, but not right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom