What would FSU's Sec record be? | The Boneyard

What would FSU's Sec record be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If they played in the SEC East....5-3? I think they lose to South Carolina, Auburn, Missouri

Reaction Score
After watching this game fsu would definitely finish in last place in the sec. No doubt about it.

Reaction Score
I know for a fact they'd beat at least UF and Auburn this year. After that it's a crapshoot.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Get ready for ESPiN's ACC propaganda push

Reaction Score
FSU won the national championship not the ACC

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
FSU won the national championship not the ACC

In fact, the ACC almost cost them the title. Playing teams like Maryland and Pitt does not prepare you whatsoever for playing a top tier SEC team. Auburn played Georgia, Texas A&M, LSU, and Alabama.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's a ridiculous question. This year, they would have won the SEC east for sure. They were better than Mizzou or USC. But it really depends on who you play in the other division. Auburn for example, had an easy schedule in that regard. They did not play Mizzou or USC in the regular season, and got Georgia at home. Bama was even more lucky, not playing any of the three, or Florida.

FSU had a nervous freshman QB, or this game wouldn't have been so close. OU took down Bama as well. A lot of parity this year, MSU and OSU were both about as good as well.

Reaction Score
After watching this game fsu would definitely finish in last place in the sec. No doubt about it.
Yeah they suck, vastly overrated. Nick Saban and company would have beaten them 56-0.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
It's a ridiculous question. This year, they would have won the SEC east for sure. They were better than Mizzou or USC. But it really depends on who you play in the other division. Auburn for example, had an easy schedule in that regard. They did not play Mizzou or USC in the regular season, and got Georgia at home. Bama was even more lucky, not playing any of the three, or Florida.

FSU had a nervous freshman QB, or this game wouldn't have been so close. OU took down Bama as well. A lot of parity this year, MSU and OSU were both about as good as well.

The SEC isn't about who you are better than in a 1 game scenario. The SEC is great because you may have to beat South Carolina, Ole Miss, and LSU in consecutive weeks with 1 or two being on the road. It is a true meat grinder. I would guess FSU would lose 1-2 games in the SEC this year. Auburn played 5 very good to excellent teams, while FSU played 2 (and I'm counting Duke as 1). Aubrun beat Bama and Missouri in back to back weeks. What 2 game stretch did FSU, Ohio State, or Oklahoma have that is even close to that?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The SEC isn't about who you are better than in a 1 game scenario. The SEC is great because you may have to beat South Carolina, Ole Miss, and LSU in consecutive weeks with 1 or two being on the road. It is a true meat grinder. I would guess FSU would lose 1-2 games in the SEC this year. Auburn played 5 very good to excellent teams, while FSU played 2 (and I'm counting Duke as 1). Aubrun beat Bama and Missouri in back to back weeks. What 2 game stretch did FSU, Ohio State, or Oklahoma have that is even close to that?

They just beat Duke and Auburn back to back. :) I agree with the premise. But this year, all four of the top teams avoided each other except for one game. The west was much tougher than the east, with LSU and A&M being probably the 4th and 5th best teams.

As for FSU. This stretch seemed tough at the time. Look at the scores. The reason I think FSU would have no more than one loss in the SEC this year was that they blew out everyone. That includes Florida from the SEC east by the way, 37-7. UF lost to USC, Mizzou and LSU by a combined 35 points...all on the road. FSU played them @ Gainesville.
Sat, Oct 5
5-0 (3-0)
Sat, Oct 19
6-0 (4-0)
Sat, Oct 26
7-0 (5-0)
Sat, Nov 2
8-0 (6-0)

Reaction Score

Agree with you but only up to a point, beyond that I will say that IMO the National Champion Florida State Seminoles have more future NFL players on their roster than any team in college football. Maybe, and I say MABEY they would have lost a game playing in the SEC this year, but no one has the talent they have. They even have two kids coming in next year that could play in the NFL now.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Anyone with eyeballs can tell you that Maryland and NC State were garbage. I don't care what they were ranked at the time. Miami was a pretty good team this year. That stretch does not impress.
Agree with you but only up to a point, beyond that I will say that IMO the National Champion Florida State Seminoles have more future NFL players on their roster than any team in college football. Maybe, and I say MABEY they would have lost a game playing in the SEC this year, but no one has the talent they have. They even have two kids coming in next year that could play in the NFL now.

I strongly disagree that they have more talent than Alabama or LSU. Those 2 rosters are just stacked with future NFL players. LSU had 11 early entries last year, and looks to have another 7 or so this year (in addition to the Seniors leaving).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

FSU just beat Auburn. Don't understand how you can say they would do worse than Auburn in league play.

Reaction Score
Old Miss is no better than Miami. It's not like they destroyed Georgia Tech (7-5) in their bowl or anything, nor did LSU destroy Iowa (8-5) in theirs.

The SEC is a better league than the ACC, sure, but there is way too much hype around it's depth. Auburn played Florida State and Florida State won. And the other SEC challenger who maybe had a say (Alabama) got punked by Oklahoma.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Old Miss is no better than Miami. It's not like they destroyed Georgia Tech (7-5) in their bowl or anything, nor did LSU destroy Iowa (8-5) in theirs.

The SEC is a better league than the ACC, sure, but there is way too much hype around it's depth. Auburn played Florida State and Florida State won. And the other SEC challenger who maybe had a say (Alabama) got punked by Oklahoma.

Again, you and waquoit are pointing to 1 game scenarios (in meaningless bowl games no less). FSU would have absolutely been one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the SEC, but my opinion is that they would have lost a game or 2 along the way. Auburn should have. Ole Miss isn't that great of a team, but playing Ole Miss in conjunction with teams like A&M, Georgia, and Bama make it an extremely tough conference to go through.

If you want to focus on Bowls, let's look at who the SEC plays (it is almost always a higher placed team from another conference.

Ole Miss (SEC #7) beat Georgia Tech (ACC #6)
Texas A&M (SEC #5) beat Duke (ACC #2)
Miss St (SEC #8) beat Rice (CUSA #1)
Nebraska (B1G #5) beat Georgia (SEC #6)
LSU (SEC #4) beat Iowa (B1G #3)
South Carolina (SEC #2) beat Wisconsin (B1G #3)
Missouri (SEC #3) beat Ok State (Big 12 # 2)
Vanderbilt (SEC#9) beat Houston (AAC #5)
Bama and Auburn both lost to the #1 team from the ACC and Big 12

That's 7-3 with most games coming against teams that finished higher in their respective conferences.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If they played in the SEC East....5-3? I think they lose to South Carolina, Auburn, Missouri

I need to study your avatar for a couple of days and get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom