What will the future of the NCAA men's tournament look like? I AGREE with Coach K here. | The Boneyard

What will the future of the NCAA men's tournament look like? I AGREE with Coach K here.

Reaction Score

Amid all the uncertainty, former Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski asks that college sports leaders take pause until "we can see the future better."

You don't change something now not knowing -- Is there going to be an NCAA? If there will be an NCAA, what will it be? Before you start messing around with [the tournament], understand what it is. It's a treasure. It's not something where you flippantly say, 'Let's go to 96 [teams].' Everyone, just keep quiet and recognize the treasure we have."

Reaction Score
I noticed Sankey didn’t mention the FDU win or the St Peters run or the Loyola Chicago run or Princeton getting to the Sweet 16, or the fact that 2 of last year’s Final Four were from mid-major leagues. Kind of shows that there is quite a bit of depth in the ranks of mid-majors. But of course, that would defeat his argument.

I go the opposite way. Back to 64. Reduce the at-large numbers so crappy mid-tier major conference teams go to the NIT where they belong or stay home.

Reaction Score
It's the Big 2 conferences that want more of their teams in the tournament.

They've made a mess of college football and now they want to take more money away from the smaller schools.

It really has nothing to do with Cinderella's or what makes the current system to much fun.

It's about money. SEC commissioner Sankey is disgusting. They have absolutely ruined regional rivalries for the sake of profits and ESPN has been a willing accomplice.

Reaction Score
It's the Big 2 conferences that want more of their teams in the tournament.

They've made a mess of college football and now they want to take more money away from the smaller schools.

It really has nothing to do with Cinderella's or what makes the current system to much fun.

It's about money. SEC commissioner Sankey is disgusting. They have absolutely ruined regional rivalries for the sake of profits and ESPN has been a willing accomplice.
Absolutely. You couldn't be more correct. It's always about the $

Sankey is like a curse on college sports but appears to have willing accomplices in his schools' Athletic Directors and their Presidents. He seems to have thought about nothing other than how to "make my league bigger and have more control so I can make more money for my league's teams for which they'll handsomely reward me."

Long time friends that are major donors and leaders on a fund-raising body at a major SEC school are so turned off they have cut their donations and stated recently that they've had enough with the absurd direction in which college sports are heading and withdrawing their support.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom