What we’ve learned about UConn women’s basketball through five games | The Boneyard

What we’ve learned about UConn women’s basketball through five games

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By Daniel Connolly and Megan Gauer Dec 23, 2020, 11:29am EST

Takeaways from the Huskies’ start to the season. Despite a delayed start to the year, UConn women’s basketball kicked off its season with a furious stretch of five games in 11 days. With no exhibition games, these were our first opportunities to see a new-look Huskies team that featured seven new faces and four returners in different roles. This is what we’ve learned about UConn during its first five games:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Oops...Double oops
They forgot Elvina!
How can you analyze the personnel and leave out the
(virtually) only upper-class presence and the glue performer

I must admit, its easy to be dazzled by the youth
But Mama E is (at least) worthy of consideration; No?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Another listing by the 5's

Good news is Evina is not forgotten in this one

Evina Westbrook: After going nearly two years without playing a competitive basketball game, the redshirt junior has looked more and more comfortable on the floor each game, both physically and in how she’s able to impact the game. When she’s at her best, Westbrook is facilitating, looking to get to the rim, crashing the boards and spearheading the Huskies’ defense. Most recently against Villanova, she stuffed the stat sheet with a season-high 17 points, eight rebounds, five assists and four steals in 37 minutes.

Reaction Score
We have learned that they have not played a good team yet.

So true. I wanna see what we do against Baylor. After that game, I will feel a lot better. Right now, I have seen what the team can do and do well. I wanna see what happens when we face a team that matches our UConn squad, position for position. Same level of talent. A team that is going to basically smack us in the face. I wanna see which one of our players is going to step up and go punch for punch and which one takes a step back. I wanna see who is going to be that badass out on the court.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So true. I wanna see what we do against Baylor. After that game, I will feel a lot better. Right now, I have seen what the team can do and do well. I wanna see what happens when we face a team that matches our UConn squad, position for position. Same level of talent. A team that is going to basically smack us in the face. I wanna see which one of our players is going to step up and go punch for punch and which one takes a step back. I wanna see who is going to be that badass out on the court.

and scheduling 4 game seasons would be much easier.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
“We’ve played five games, and now we need to get back in the gym,” Auriemma said. “We practiced October and November or whatever you want to call it. What you found out in practice wasn’t really true a lot of times. What we found out these last five games, that’s true.

Now when we go to practice we can point out on film and from their recollection, I don’t care what happens in practice. You know I tell you every day in practice that we have to get better at this, well here is an example of why.’ “These five games have given us a lot of information to work with. Now we have to get back in the lab, so-to-speak, and start putting that information to use.”

Reaction Score
We have learned that they have not played a good team yet.

True, yet Parkway Drive scored like 29 against them, so we learned that defense does need some work. I think it has already gotten better based on the Villanova game.

Reaction Score
Sorry, meant Park Lane. I think Parkway Drive is a metal-core band. LOL

Yup...

Reaction Score
Why to the highlighted quotes above give me a vision of Geno leaning over a cauldron of boiling liquid wearing rubber gloves, goggles and a white coat laughing maniacally and screaming "It's alive!" ;):)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom