What WBB transfer has been most impactful this year | The Boneyard

What WBB transfer has been most impactful this year

Reaction Score
I'll go with Roshunda Johnson at Miss St. She has been a great addition. Okla State is really missing her. She could've really helped them this year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm not familiar with each and every transfer this year, but..............I am familiar with Jessica Shepard (formerly of Nebraska) of Notre Dame. She's making a huge impact on her team. Without her (if her waiver request been denied), I doubt ND would be much better than a .750 team this year. They are 25-2/13-1. They are ranked #5 in the AP, and #4 in the USA Today Coach's poll.

With Sheppard, they are a legitimate contender (and a possible #1 NCAA Tournament seed according to Charlie Creme), without her, I don't think so. The starters would have had to play 35+ minutes a game every night, they have a young bench, thus they cannot afford to lose anyone else this season to injury. ND would have lost some of the close games they won. As it is ND only dresses 8 scholarship players along with 2 walk-ons (if I'm not mistaken).

Sadie Edwards is having a pretty decent year for the USC Trojans. She's a starter averaging 13.7 ppg in 25 games this season. She averaging 37 minutes a game this year. She wanted more playing time, got it.

As cferraro04 suggests in the post just below, Natalie Butler has made quite an impact on her new team, and definitely belongs in the conversation. So much so that not only is she setting records for consecutive double-doubles recorded, she as lead her team to a 21-7 /10-4 record this year (4th place in the A-10), and will very likely either earn or get an invite to the NCAA tournament.

Last year George Mason finished 13-17/6-10. I'd call that a 180 degree turn-a-round. I don't think it would be much of a reach to attribute a great deal of their success this season to the addition of Butler. I'm very happy for Natalie. She's had a rough road to travel during her college athletic career. She's having a senior year (experience) she'll never forget. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I'll say 6'4" RS-Jr. Jatarie White at Texas "wins this award" for "Transferring Done Right."

My selection is limited to players in their first year of eligibility at their new school and a marked improvement of performance from before and after the transfer.

Jatarie is averaging 10.6 ppg (shooting 52%) and team-high 5.8 rpg as the Longhorns' starting center—a position they really needed to fill—after logging just 2.9 ppg & 2.9 rpg as a sophomore at South Carolina behind Alaina Coates and A'ja Wilson. Her impact is more based on fit than simply "transferring down."

She went from a logjam in the post to a black hole.

Texas is having a very good year with her addition, and now that Joyner Holmes is easing her way back into the fold, they should only get more and more dangerous as March approaches.

Jatarie White was considered one of the top young players in her class early in high school. Others surpassed her, and some critiqued her as being one of those "post players who thinks she's a point guard" type, but she's back to an elite level.

Texas was one of her finalists first time around, so she was't simply going wherever the wind was blowing that year (as often seems to be the case with transferring).

I give Jatarie White's transfer an 'A' grade.

I would have given her an A+ but she actually transferred further away from her hometown, so this fairytale lacks that proverbial detail ;-P

Reaction Score
Erica Ogwumike leads Rice at 17.3 ppg and a whopping 9.3 rpg w/ decent shooting %'s. But she is simply picking up where she left off, as she was already a star in her 1 year at Pepperdine.

Another noteworthy transfer story is 6'3" RS-Jr. forward Megan Huff leading a 17-10 Utah with 14.5 ppg (50% shooting) and 7.9 rpg. She originally went to Hawaii on a volleyball scholarship spending two years there as a two-sport athlete and ultimately gave up volleyball during her sophomore season to focus on hoops where she earned Big West Conference Sixth Player of the Year both seasons (averaging 9.7 ppg and 6.5 rpg as a soph).

Reaction Score
Jessica Shepherd and Megan Huff have been all you could ask for. Jatarie White as well. Forgot about them. All huge impacts.
I was going to mention Jennings at SC but her consistency isn’t there yet

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have to say Jessica Shepard. With all the injuries, I can't imagine where ND would be without her.

She's helping them go from an also ran (if they didn't have her) to a #1 seed if they continue to play well.
As I commented earlier, ND would NOT have the record they have now if not for the play and availability of Sheppard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Is Cooper better at PG or SG

She'll be a SG as her scoring ability is better then her descision making IMO, and I also can't see playing PG next year with Ty Harris solidly in that position as well as Henderson and possibly Cuevas-Moore for a fifth year.

Reaction Score
My most impactful first year transfer with new team next year?
Destiny Slocum Or State

YUP! I can't wait to see Slocum/Ionescu go head to head for two years. Two dynamic players.

Reaction Score
Cooper's only year at TN she was foul prone and a turnover machine.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
You won't be kidding next year when Te'a is making jaw dropping moves on the court.
Is this meant to be some sort of droll commentary on the incident that led to her departure from Tennessee? ("jaw-dropping" admits of multiple interpretations ...)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You won't be kidding next year when Te'a is making jaw dropping moves on the court.
That sounds nice, but it's probably not a good idea for a player to be dancing on the court when she should be playing basketball.

Reaction Score
I won't pick one particular transfer, but the five we have playing for RU this season. They have taken us from a 6 win season last year to 19 wins this season so far. Having Tyler Scaife back is certainly a decisive factor too, but we start at least 2 of the transfers every game and often 3. We would be lost without them!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom