OT: What was Cora thinking? | The Boneyard

OT: What was Cora thinking?

Reaction Score
Why would you bring in a guy who pitched the last two games when Whitlock and Ottavino are available for the 8th and 9th with a two run lead. On the phone with my brother when the inning started and we both sighed at the same time. The guy seems to be a good manager but his bullpen management is suspect at times.

Reaction Score
Why would you bring in a guy who pitched the last two games when Whitlock and Ottavino are available for the 8th and 9th with a two run lead. On the phone with my brother when the inning started and we both sighed at the same time. The guy seems to be a good manager but his bullpen management is suspect at times.
It won’t matter because Sox are walking it off here.

Reaction Score
Ottavino lol. Did you watch any games the second half of the season ? He rode the hot hand and got burnt, what are ya gonna do. Whitlock came in and was nails, thank god.

Reaction Score
Bullpen management definitely needs improvement. Plenty of questionable moves his last 2-3 weeks but his guys love playing for him and that’s all you need in the bigs. He’s solid and gets them ready, and they can swing the bats. Never know.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
As UConn fans we are all well versed in “teams of destiny” and while I don’t buy that per se, I do think it’s advantageous to face diversity as a group. The Red Sox obviously had a lot of ups and downs but finished hot. The WildCard game was a huge momentum builder.

The Rays meanwhile took over first place on July 31st and we’re never really challenged after that. Complacency does tend to set in

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I thought there were a few questionable moments. I thought E-Rod, who pitched way better than I anticipated, could have stayed in longer. I think he was at 80ish pitches. I would ride the hot hand as long as I could.
I didn't like the Travis Shaw pinch hit, though it obviously worked. The guy had 1 at bat all series. I would have let Dalbec hit.
I feel like Brasier has pitched every day for the last month. I realize he missed most of the season, but he can't go every day.
I am glad he left Whitlock in. Sale was warming in the pen, but I didn't want to see him.

Bottom line, it all worked and now the team gets a few much needed days off before the next series. Go Sox.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Questions Questions and 2nd guessing
But in the end they move on
Isn't that the name of the game?
Wish my Cubbies had these type of questions at this time of the year

Reaction Score
I thought there were a few questionable moments. I thought E-Rod, who pitched way better than I anticipated, could have stayed in longer. I think he was at 80ish pitches. I would ride the hot hand as long as I could.
I didn't like the Travis Shaw pinch hit, though it obviously worked. The guy had 1 at bat all series. I would have let Dalbec hit.
I feel like Brasier has pitched every day for the last month. I realize he missed most of the season, but he can't go every day.
I am glad he left Whitlock in. Sale was warming in the pen, but I didn't want to see him.

Bottom line, it all worked and now the team gets a few much needed days off before the next series. Go Sox.
I thought ERod shoulda been left in a little longer. Weird that he deals for multiple innings and gets taken out after a blooper and Brasier comes in and gives up three shots and he keeps him in there.

When I saw Sale warming, all I could say was, "No...please...no". He was seriously disappointing in that last outing. What got me most was that he showed no fire... after Game 1 when the Rays we're all eating popcorn on field during the game, stealing home and having a good ol' laff-fest about it. I expected Sale to not necessarily drill someone (although I wouldn't have hated seeing Areola taking one in the back), but he wasn't even interested in being aggressive. He showed more anger with the White Sox when he didn't want to wear the throwbacks...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Cora's bullpen management is fine. The bullpen arms need to be improved. They were masterful in going through everyone on the staff except for Matt Barnes on Sunday, and were lucky to patch together four innings last night. My only question about last night is why Houck only went 1 inning.

Whatever. While the Sox have overachieved all year, they were not expected to compete for the title this year. I do not expect them to get to the World Series, but they were not expected to get through Tampa either. They are playing with house money, and I'm enjoying it.

Reaction Score
I never thought they would survive and advance to ALCS. The bullpen can use the rest now and hopefully Devers and JD can heal. Hernandez has been a huge and welcome surprise.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I thought ERod shoulda been left in a little longer. Weird that he deals for multiple innings and gets taken out after a blooper and Brasier comes in and gives up three shots and he keeps him in there.

When I saw Sale warming, all I could say was, "No...please...no". He was seriously disappointing in that last outing. What got me most was that he showed no fire... after Game 1 when the Rays we're all eating popcorn on field during the game, stealing home and having a good ol' laff-fest about it. I expected Sale to not necessarily drill someone (although I wouldn't have hated seeing Areola taking one in the back), but he wasn't even interested in being aggressive. He showed more anger with the White Sox when he didn't want to wear the throwbacks...
Everything you wrote about Sale could have been said about E-Rod as well and he went out and pitched 5+ pretty strong innings in his follow up appearance.

Sale is coming back from Tommy John and is only a two pitch pitcher right now. He is actually better suited for 'pen duty for the time being.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He did it because Brasier is his most effective right handed reliever at present. Ottavino has been hit hard lately, and Barnes hasn't been good in weeks. He obviously doesn't trust either of those two, since they have one inning each in 5 postseason games. Brasier pitched one inning Sunday, and Whitlock got 4 outs Sunday. Brasier struck out the side in his one inning Friday. He was the obvious choice, he just didn't have it.

He has made a few mistakes, but mostly I think he brings in guys to get an out or two too frequently. Then you get a 13 inning game and you burn your intended starter for the next game. Davis on Sunday for example. But that's a nit. The guy is 14-5 all time in the postseason. He's doing something right.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
He didn't seem very sharp. I was getting a little anxious watching him.

He wasn't. He should be considered for a start this series, or long relief. He has filthy stuff, but he's not really a short reliever.

Reaction Score
Not about pitching, but don’t you think the Sox could use a better defensive right fielder?

Lord I think I can cover more ground than that guy.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Cora had a bad night, but his offense and the rays shaky 9th inning d saved him.

If they were willing to close with sale, Whitlock was the only option for the 8th

And asking Houck to come back last night was bad. It was too much for his arm and it showed

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not about pitching, but don’t you think the Sox could use a better defensive right fielder?

Seriously? He's one of the better defensive RF in the game. Lead the AL in OF assists from RF with 16. Next best was Gallo at 9. He did have too many errors, but he also lead the AL in innings at the position and he plays in what is, by far, the hardest RF in MLB. RF in Fenway is absolutely nasty.

Sox need to resign that guy, because Verdugo is better in LF.

Reaction Score
Cora had a bad night, but his offense and the rays shaky 9th inning d saved him.

If they were willing to close with sale, Whitlock was the only option for the 8th

And asking Houck to come back last night was bad. It was too much for his arm and it showed
What would give you any confidence in Sale to close ?

Reaction Score

I thought not pinch running for Vasquez initially when he got to 2nd was the worst decision. If you're gonna pinch run for him when he gets to 3rd, why not when he's on 2nd? No way he was scoring on a single to the outfield.

Oh, and if he brought in Sale, I would have been out buying a new TV today!

Anyhow, all's well that ends well!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know what Cora was thinking. I mean why not offer more than one brand of coffee?

1634055094005.png

"It's the only brand I sell."

Reactions: DCT

Husky25

Reaction Score

Fenway's right field is among the hardest outfield positions to play in Major League Baseball. Opposing fans like to make fun of the 302 foot foul line, but about 14 feet to the left, the fence is 370 from home plate and it is 380 to straightaway right field.

There is a reason Manny Ramirez was shifted to left field after playing right field in Cleveland from the jump.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom