What the heck is going on with Uconn | The Boneyard

What the heck is going on with Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lol no updates from any of the Uconn "beat writers" ? throw us a bone here or something other than drummond was the BE player of the week, like that took more than 3 seconds to copy and paste the link

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Rudy Gay was in town last night, think he was playing some pick up with the team.

They also have a game tomorrow and Kevin Ollie just got back from a trip somewhere (recruiting?) ... he's excited to see the kids today. Take nothing for granted.

All per twitter. More in 20 minutes.

Reaction Score
Rudy Gay was in town last night, think he was playing some pick up with the team.

They also have a game tomorrow and Kevin Ollie just got back from a trip somewhere (recruiting?) ... he's excited to see the kids today. Take nothing for granted.

haha proves my point that the fans are more in tune and knowledgeable than the beat writers, surprising I know.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Would be interested in who you're following...

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Donny Marshall was here a few days ago working with the team...If you find that "newsworthy" maybe I should be a beat writer!

Reaction Score
KO has a reference to God in every third tweet or so.
I have no issue with that, but I think there's no way he gets hired as head coach if he is viewed as a vocal proponent of his religion.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I have no issue with that, but I think there's no way he gets hired as head coach if he is viewed as a vocal proponent of his religion.
Wow, our next HC needs to be a non believer?

Reaction Score
I don't think many of the recruit's parents would have a problem with a God fearing coach. He's not preaching he's just not ashamed of his beliefs. After the recent coaching events this is considered an issue??

Reaction Score

dont a lot of southern football coaches all reference god in a lot of their speeches?.. i doubt his faith has any affect on his coaching ability

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

I see no issue with this ... it's all over sports. Heck, you ever see a Giants post-game locker room? Full-on bended knee prayer with half the team, led by the head coach.

So long as he's not pushing his agenda on anyone, I can't see why they wouldn't hire him. He's just vocal about his own faith.

Reaction Score

Frank, how many screennames are you going to go through?

Reaction Score
He does tweet his faith every other time ish. I have no beef whatsoever with him being a devote man- many of the "good" kids that play in college have families where faith is very important to them (JL's dad has a sports ministry) so i am not sure it precludes him from being a head coach and might even appeal to the players.

That said- JC has a mean streak and is tough as nails and that is why many kids come to UCONN vs other schools. It would be a 180 degree turn going from a hard to a devote man who also happens to be a super nice human. Do nice coaches finish first? Not sure I can name too many.
So his tweets have given me a moments pause in that regard as well. Love KO as a person- don't get me wrong- but the coach- not the lord- is who the parents of kids trust to get their kids into the NBA.

I am not sure what any of this means - or if it has any correlation whatsoever to how he coaches and his interaction with the players- but it is interesting that his tweets raised the same question I asked myself after following him for several months.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
He does tweet his faith every other time ish. I have no beef whatsoever with him being a devote man- many of the "good" kids that play in college have families where faith is very important to them (JL's dad has a sports ministry) so i am not sure it precludes him from being a head coach and might even appeal to the players.

That said- JC has a mean streak and is tough as nails and that is why many kids come to UCONN vs other schools. It would be a 180 degree turn going from a hard to a devote man who also happens to be a super nice human. Do nice coaches finish first? Not sure I can name too many.
So his tweets have given me a moments pause in that regard as well. Love KO as a person- don't get me wrong- but the coach- not the lord- is who the parents of kids trust to get their kids into the NBA.

I am not sure what any of this means - but it is interesting that his tweets raised the same question I asked myself after following him for several months.

Interesting to think about ... but I'm not sure his tweets on faith and God are a true indication of what his coaching style may or may not be. For all we know, he could be just as hard on the players as Calhoun is (although unlikely). He does preach that nothing is given to you and hard work is required for success ... so I'm not overly worried about him being too soft.

Reaction Score
Hey, I'm ok with KO and his faith. Maybe God will look favorable on him and his team. I know I will take a few miracles and ask no questions!!

Reaction Score
Lets hope thats not an issue...he's a man of faith, and respects it, and has no problem telling others. Good for him!

But Wow...what a world we live in if a guy won't get a head coaching job because he is viewed as a vocal proponent of his religion.

That's almost ridiculous to think, and very very sad

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think KO would insist on hard work from kids and not tolerate anything less.

I rather have the situation with KO as a controversy, than deal with pedophiles and boosters paying kids or setting up prostitutes. And personally I don't feel it's controversial if he doesn't proselytize.

And on that note, I would say no news is good news. I bet fans at Cuse and PSU and Miami would prefer silence.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Hasn't been an issue yet with recruiting. Ko got Daniels. Ko said the team is doing much better in practices this week per twitter

Reaction Score
Lol no updates from any of the Uconn "beat writers" ? throw us a bone here or something other than drummond was the BE player of the week, like that took more than 3 seconds to copy and paste the link

Do you do anything other than bitch about writers?

Reaction Score
Interesting to think about ... but I'm not sure his tweets on faith and God are a true indication of what his coaching style may or may not be. For all we know, he could be just as hard on the players as Calhoun is (although unlikely). He does preach that nothing is given to you and hard work is required for success ... so I'm not overly worried about him being too soft.
I agree- just an interesting topic- not a problem.

Reaction Score
looks like we got way off topic. It seems like obviously today they had an open practice or least were able to show up and ask questions so that may of been why there was such a long drought in new information, however u think maybe someone somewhere could break down the Arkansas game maybe?

Reaction Score
I don't think many of the recruit's parents would have a problem with a God fearing coach. He's not preaching he's just not ashamed of his beliefs. After the recent coaching events this is considered an issue??

I am with you big time. All you have to do is pick any random news day; and you will get way more than your fill of the horrible things people do to one another(often with little or no reason), to easily decide that, at least, the young men playing basketball for UConn will have a leader who has(or is at least attempting to) his moral/ethical perspective in good order. It's not about preaching or any one/exclusive approach to religion/theology. It's just about setting an example in a world that is sorely in need of all of the good examples it can get its' hands on.

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE RAZORBACKS!!!

Reaction Score
IMO, it is ridiculous to think that Ollie being a strong faithed man is going to have any sort of effect on his coaching future. First of all, many of the kids who he'll be talking to are likely to be religious as well-it will probably help more than hurt. Also, I saw a clip of the Giants lockerrom after a win where Tom Coughlin led the team in prayers. He's one of the toughest coaches in the league, so I don't think there is any correlation between religion and toughness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom