What teams are improved/worse from a year ago? | The Boneyard

What teams are improved/worse from a year ago?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's still very early in the year...but here's a quick rundown of how the top 10 appears relative to last year around this time. I'm basing this off of eye test, box scores, recaps read, and player personnel.

1. Notre Dame-probably better from a year ago...still not healthy though with Mabrey out.

2. UCONN-not as good as last year

3. Oregon-probably about the same...nearly lost at home to Syracuse early though.

4. Louisville-nearly lost to ASU...definitely don't look as potent without MHE.

5. Baylor-I think they're a step behind where they were last year. Close call against ASU and questions at PG spot. Also questions about who gets rotation minutes.

6. Mississippi State-haven't played anyone good yet, although they've been dominant early. Could be better or worse than a year ago.

7. Maryland-likely improved from a year ago

8. Stanford-improved from a year ago

9. Oregon State-improved from a year ago

10. Texas-not as good as last year. Nearly lost to Quinnipiac tonight and player personnel isn't as strong.

11. Tennessee-Probably about the same. Too early to tell a whole lot though.

Reaction Score
UConn might not be as good today as they were at the end of last year, but all we did was swap out Kia and Gabby in the starting lineup for two #1 recruits, which no offense to Gabby and Kia #1 recruits they were not. I think we'll be OK.

Reaction Score
Texas is missing Joyner Holmes with an injury so too early to tell

Reaction Score
It's really early, which we all know. I care not at all what we look like now. Rate how good we are on March 15.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I think it's too early to tell. They clearly miss Gulich's inside presence on both ends of the floor, but Slocum clearly gives them something they didn't have last year.

Definitely agree on this one. They stumbled badly out of the gate last year and so far they seem to be hitting on all cylinders this season.

Reaction Score
I’m interested to see how Tennessee is come conference play. They started really well last season, but outside of a Texas win, none of the games were special. Same comes for teams like Houston and Tulane. Houston was said to be improved and looked like it when they lost by 1 to Cal, but since then have had nothing but inconsistency. Tulane is 3-0 and playing Cal at the moment so we’ll see what they can manage. Notre Dame will be better when they have Mabrey back. Miami seemed better when they beat Marquette, but then got thrashed by an Iowa State team that is definitely better offensively than last year with Joens. I’ll be keeping an eye on how they perform throughout the year as well.

Reaction Score
UConn might not be as good today as they were at the end of last year, but all we did was swap out Kia and Gabby in the starting lineup for two #1 recruits, which no offense to Gabby and Kia #1 recruits they were not. I think we'll be OK.
How someone is rated coming out of high school is not as important as it is cracked up to be. It also depends on how good the class is. You underestimate Gabby and Kia. They were both drafted high by the WNBA, which might not be the case with their replacements.

Reaction Score
It's still very early in the year...but here's a quick rundown of how the top 10 appears relative to last year around this time. I'm basing this off of eye test, box scores, recaps read, and player personnel.

1. Notre Dame-probably better from a year ago...still not healthy though with Mabrey out.

2. UCONN-not as good as last year

3. Oregon-probably about the same...nearly lost at home to Syracuse early though.

4. Louisville-nearly lost to ASU...definitely don't look as potent without MHE.

5. Baylor-I think they're a step behind where they were last year. Close call against ASU and questions at PG spot. Also questions about who gets rotation minutes.

6. Mississippi State-haven't played anyone good yet, although they've been dominant early. Could be better or worse than a year ago.

7. Maryland-likely improved from a year ago

10. Texas-not as good as last year. Nearly lost to Quinnipiac tonight and player personnel isn't as strong.

11. Tennessee-Probably about the same. Too early to tell a whole lot though.
Very well done I disagree with only one of your comments. No way Oregon St is better without Gulich. They are better and deeper at guard but not as a team. Hit L’ville right on the nose. Much less potent without Hines-Allen

Reaction Score
Gabby and Kia played like #1 recruits

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom