What school's initials form a five letter palindrome? | The Boneyard

What school's initials form a five letter palindrome?

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Hint - The are not in Uzbekistan

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
palindrome

Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
pal·in·drome
(păl′ĭn-drōm′)
n.
1. A word, phrase, verse, or sentence that reads the same backward or forward. For example: A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!
2. A segment of double-stranded DNA in which the nucleotide sequence of one strand reads in reverse order to that of the complementary strand.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Good one.

The Jaguars of IUPUI are facing off against one of my favorite mascots in all the land—the Leathernecks of Western Illinois—for the Summit League championship in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. (I wonder when was the last time that both South Dakota and South Dakota State were shut out of the conference championship game.)

i
vs.
i

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I've been watching the Western Illinois vs. IUPUI game. Just this: The USF team that UConn beat by 56 last night would, if matched against either of these two win by another 56! I think our local junior college could keep it close against them. Parity? Not here, not today.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I've been watching the Western Illinois vs. IUPUI game. Just this: The USF team that UConn beat by 56 last night would, if matched against either of these two win by another 56! I think our local junior college could keep it close against them. Parity? Not here, not today.
But it's a close, dramatic game. The Leathernecks could've iced it with some free throws, but went 1 of 4 in the past 40 seconds. And now IUPUI just took the lead with 2 free throws with 3.7 seconds left.

Whoa, and now a turnover. What a heartbreaker for Western Illinois.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Holy mackerel! Buzzer-beater 3 by the Leathernecks to send the game to OT.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Holy mackerel! Buzzer-beater 3 by the Leathernecks to send the game to OT.

Coach should be strung up. The only thing that could work for WIU was a three, but IUPUI "defended" the arc with only two players. Dumb beyond belief.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Coach should be strung up. The only thing that could work for WIU was a three, but IUPUI "defended" the arc with only two players. Dumb beyond belief.

I'm always amazed at how bad teams are at defending this time-and-score situation. I call it the Maryland-Duke scenario, from their title game in '06 when MD had to have a 3 and Duke gave MD's best shooter just enough room to shoot.

IUPUI had 2 or 3 players in the lane as the WIU player shot the 3. Why are you in the lane? To get the rebound after the buzzer aounds? Smh

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I'm always amazed at how bad teams are at defending this time-and-score situation. I call it the Maryland-Duke scenario, from their title game in '06 when MD had to have a 3 and Duke gave MD's best shooter just enough room to shoot.

IUPUI had 2 or 3 players in the lane as the WIU player shot the 3. Why are you in the lane? To get the rebound after the buzzer aounds? Smh

Exactly. It's inexplicable, but so often done.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

So?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

If I need to spell it out, the difference between the top half-dozen teams and the rest of the top 25 is a wide, wide, gulf. But the much less discussed difference between the bottom handful of teams in the polls and the "everybody else" in WCBB is even larger; it's a chasm.

Reaction Score
IUPUI

Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis

Had to look up "palindrome.":)
Not only didn't I have to look it up, I can even use it in a sentence. OK, to be completely honest, I can quote someone else using it in a sentence.

The scene: Simpsons episode where the bus driver has an accident on the way to school and can't drive the bus until he does something to be able to drive the bus again (can't remember exactly). After school, the bus pulls up and Bart is surprised by who's driving.

Bart: Principal Skinner? Where's Otto?
Principal Skinner: That's one palindrome we won't be hearing for a while.

Plebe

Reaction Score
If I need to spell it out, the difference between the top half-dozen teams and the rest of the top 25 is a wide, wide, gulf. But the much less discussed difference between the bottom handful of teams in the polls and the "everybody else" in WCBB is even larger; it's a chasm.

I agree USF is better than these teams, but I don't think the gulf is that wide. Consider the fact that USF managed to lose games to the likes of Long Beach State and Memphis this year. Consider as well the fact that Western Illinois lost by only 3 at Missouri and IUPUI won a true road game at Purdue.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I agree USF is better than these teams, but I don't think the gulf is that wide. Consider the fact that USF managed to lose games to the likes of Long Beach State and Memphis this year. Consider as well the fact that Western Illinois lost by only 3 at Missouri and IUPUI won a true road game at Purdue.

South Florida would have a hard time beating a bottom dwelling team from the MEAC by 56...much less the top two teams in the summit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The palindrome for Bolton is Notlob!

Plebe

Reaction Score
South Florida would have a hard time beating a bottom dwelling team from the MEAC by 56...much less the top two teams in the summit.
We actually have comparable data here. USF hasn't played any MEAC teams, but here are their results vs. teams outside the RPI top 200:
  • Beat #249 St. Francis of PA by 49
  • Beat #260 Butler by 15
  • Beat #296 North Florida by 34
  • Beat #307 FIU by 50
  • Beat #322 Arkansas State by 19

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
We actually have comparable data here. USF hasn't played any MEAC teams, but here are their results vs. teams outside the RPI top 200:
  • Beat #249 St. Francis of PA by 49
  • Beat #260 Butler by 15
  • Beat #296 North Florida by 34
  • Beat #307 FIU by 50
  • Beat #322 Arkansas State by 19

I stand by my statement :D

The MEAC team I root for is NCA&T.. Local school. They hosted UCLA in December... Only lost by 40. They wouldn't lose to South Florida by 50

Reaction Score
The palindrome for Bolton is Notlob!
Yeah, but it's supposed to be the same word, both ways. If you spell Notlob backwards and it comes out "Notlob," it's a palindrome. Which it's not. And a palindrome is not the same as a paladindome, which is the modern home where the star of Have Gun Will Travel" lived.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom