What offenses & defenses do the best WCBB coaches use? | The Boneyard

What offenses & defenses do the best WCBB coaches use?

Reaction Score
As a kid, I was a basketball junkie, nearly memorizing Pressure Basketball by my avatar, and I've read all the lockers on the top floor of the BB HoF, where all the great strategies are set out. But I've grown lazy: I watch the ball and hope it goes in (if UConn shoots it). There are folks here--and I don't mean to overlook anyone, but Coco, Jordy and a lot of others--actually pay attention to the way the game is played.

I do appreciate UConn's read-and-react Motion offense; and I can (sort of) see the difference in ND's Princeton offense. But generally, I'm content to notice if a team is playing man or zone on defense, and on offense watch the flight of the ball.

So, all you strategy junkies, what do the other best coaches have their teams usually (obviously it will vary with opponent and their own personnel) play on offense and defense?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not very technical - I'm lucky if I can recognize man-to-man and zone. But I want to add to your final remark (that it varies) that it can vary a lot based on personnel. Vivian was famous for her match-up zone defenses, yet seldom has used it at Rutgers; conversely, while she has used her "55" full court press to great effect at Rutgers over the years, you rarely see it recently. It requires a player that not only has great athleticism, lanky but also with a very high basketball IQ - Carson was an example - to play the main position. Rutgers hasn't had so many players that fit the bill lately.

Having been a Rutgers fan, I can't speak much to offense. Vivian's offensive sets - at their best - can result in some nice plays. But they are based on "reads" and I don't feel like players have ever been good at "reading". I know it is more complicated than that, but Viv's frustration - even when the teams were good - with the plays on the court always suggested to me that the players never understood exactly what she wanted them to do. One of my few issues with Viv is that the offense "should" be better with the personnel she has had over the years.

While I wouldn't have known what to call it, I can say that there are certain elements in the UConn offense that I saw 20 years ago and still see today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog
Top Bottom