What I've learned from this past season. | The Boneyard

What I've learned from this past season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
That we lost a lot more than we realized in graduation and leaving early. That group was together for 3-4 years and had time to grow together. Boat needed a runningmate and purvis had shown flashes but wasn't able to put it together. Same with hamilton, although hamilton was a monster on the boards. Brimah is unable to stay on the floor due to his inexperience, lack of bulk/weight, and his lack of lateral quickness. Even with his inability to get rebounds our team played better with him on the floor bc he stopped anyone driving to the lane. Nolan played 10000 times better towards the end of the season. He played good defense and rebounded better. Also was confident to take and make his shots. Rock has shown flashes of what he can do. I love his no bs attitude. He needs to learn where to be on the floor, lose weight, and get quicker laterally. Facey showed a great touch, great bounce, and could rebound. He was just to skinny/inexperienced to play the four. Omar showed flashes of what he can be and at times was the most aggressive one at attacking the rim. Sam needs to not dribble the ball so hard and not look so scared with it. He ls quick enough to get to the rim when he wants to. On defense he can be really go but at times he seems to get lost/lazy.

For this team to get better for next year, they're going to have to put work in during the offseason, in the weightroom and on the court. Also they're going to need to spend time together and get even closer. Most of all they can't play scared. They need to be bullies and not to be intimidated. They need confidence.

Ollie did the best he could without an inside game. Daniels playing the four last year was huge. He knew how to play the position on the defensive end and was able to be a mismatch on the offensive end. This is why imo we ran so much on the perimeter this year. You could see so much frustration with the squad from him. I think because they run it everyday that they know what to do and should help out boat. The pick and pop game and the setting a screen to get a mismatch is what we did last year. If purvis/adams can do this with hamilton and facey I think we will be scoring points. He has three consecutive 20 win seasons and a national championship in his first full year. He has a pass for several more years. The recruiting will come. He's improved every year and needs his "Chris smith" guy like calhoun got.

Also you can't say the fans do not supportthis team. The turnout has been great all year and you saw and heard it during the AAC tourney. Let's keep it going from here on out

If there are any spelling errors or sentence errors, I'm on the phone. My bad

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
also I hope Ollie let's the kids just play, not AAU style, but teaches them where the spots are, the pick and pop game, etc... so he doesn't have to call a play every time down... they kids will be comfortable enough with each other that they'll know what to do

Reaction Score
Agree. I knew we would miss DeAndre but had no idea his loss would have this much impact. With such a weak field, this team with DD could have made some noise.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Agree. I knew we would miss DeAndre but had no idea his loss would have this much impact. With such a weak field, this team with DD could have made some noise.
yeah, he would've been a monster this year... I'm hoping the kids put a lot of time in the gym during the offseason... there were so many glimpses of what the players can be during this year

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Adams- 6'2 160
Purvis- 6'4 205
Hamilton-6'7 190---Nolan- 6'10 217, Facey- 6'9 206, Rock- 6'8 260, Enoch- 6'10,220- unless we get another big, one of them is the 4
Brimah- 7'0 230

Would this be our biggest lineup since kemba and dyson?

Reaction Score
also I hope Ollie let's the kids just play, not AAU style, but teaches them where the spots are, the pick and pop game, etc... so he doesn't have to call a play every time down... they kids will be comfortable enough with each other that they'll know what to do

We need to do SOMETHING besides "swing the ball around the perimeter for 30 seconds before jacking up a contested jumper" stuff. While every team has its peaks and valleys we executed quite well last year in the half court, unfortunately we got to experience the other end of the spectrum this year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We need to do SOMETHING besides "swing the ball around the perimeter for 30 seconds before jacking up a contested jumper" stuff. While every team has its peaks and valleys we executed quite well last year in the half court, unfortunately we got to experience the other end of the spectrum this year.
yeah like i said bc we had no inside game, hopefully it improves

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't think KO will be spending much time on this, but the 30-second NIT clock favors a Purv-led offense vs a Boat-led offense. You know he wants to attack every trip down. And maybe we won't see any dumb fouls 31 seconds into the opponent's possession.

Reaction Score
Yeah Deandre would have made this team look ALOT better. Giffey was BIG also. His shooting, defense, and rebounding was very big.

Reaction Score
Adams- 6'2 160
Purvis- 6'4 205
Hamilton-6'7 190---Nolan- 6'10 217, Facey- 6'9 206, Rock- 6'8 260, Enoch- 6'10,220- unless we get another big, one of them is the 4
Brimah- 7'0 230

Would this be our biggest lineup since kemba and dyson?
6'2 160 is way too skinny for a Division I basketball player. That gives a BMI of 20.5. The average American male has a BMI of 23-25. A six foot tall man should be around 180 lbs. That physique is the last thing that UConn needs. I am sorry to be so blunt, but to see UConn get pushed around this year, they need some physical strength.

Reaction Score
That we lost a lot more than we realized in graduation and leaving early. That group was together for 3-4 years and had time to grow together. Boat needed a runningmate and purvis had shown flashes but wasn't able to put it together. Same with hamilton, although hamilton was a monster on the boards. Brimah is unable to stay on the floor due to his inexperience, lack of bulk/weight, and his lack of lateral quickness. Even with his inability to get rebounds our team played better with him on the floor bc he stopped anyone driving to the lane. Nolan played 10000 times better towards the end of the season. He played good defense and rebounded better. Also was confident to take and make his shots. Rock has shown flashes of what he can do. I love his no bs attitude. He needs to learn where to be on the floor, lose weight, and get quicker laterally. Facey showed a great touch, great bounce, and could rebound. He was just to skinny/inexperienced to play the four. Omar showed flashes of what he can be and at times was the most aggressive one at attacking the rim. Sam needs to not dribble the ball so hard and not look so scared with it. He ls quick enough to get to the rim when he wants to. On defense he can be really go but at times he seems to get lost/lazy.

For this team to get better for next year, they're going to have to put work in during the offseason, in the weightroom and on the court. Also they're going to need to spend time together and get even closer. Most of all they can't play scared. They need to be bullies and not to be intimidated. They need confidence.

Ollie did the best he could without an inside game. Daniels playing the four last year was huge. He knew how to play the position on the defensive end and was able to be a mismatch on the offensive end. This is why imo we ran so much on the perimeter this year. You could see so much frustration with the squad from him. I think because they run it everyday that they know what to do and should help out boat. The pick and pop game and the setting a screen to get a mismatch is what we did last year. If purvis/adams can do this with hamilton and facey I think we will be scoring points. He has three consecutive 20 win seasons and a national championship in his first full year. He has a pass for several more years. The recruiting will come. He's improved every year and needs his "Chris smith" guy like calhoun got.

Also you can't say the fans do not supportthis team. The turnout has been great all year and you saw and heard it during the AAC tourney. Let's keep it going from here on out

If there are any spelling errors or sentence errors, I'm on the phone. My bad
Good thoughts. Great post. Thank you.

Reaction Score
I don't have a Synergy subscription but I'm willing to wager that the PPP on Deandre/Shabazz pick and rolls past year were way better than any play we ran this year. For that reason alone they were extremely valuable.

caw

Reaction Score
6'2 160 is way too skinny for a Division I basketball player. That gives a BMI of 20.5. The average American male has a BMI of 23-25. A six foot tall man should be around 180 lbs. That physique is the last thing that UConn needs. I am sorry to be so blunt, but to see UConn get pushed around this year, they need some physical strength.

I would bet Adams is closer to 175-180 now than 160. He looks much bigger than when he was at Cushing.

Reaction Score
Never saw Boat get pushed around

Reaction Score

This in a good point. We really seem to reset all the time and call a play, even when there are driving possibilities before the other team is fully into their D. I think Ollie may have learned too much from Larry Brown because SMU played the same way, and they had driving opportunities as well before UConn was set.

Other teams, not SMU, took advantage of this UConn teams propensity to set their defense a halfbeat too late.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This in a good point. We really seem to reset all the time and call a play, even when there are driving possibilities before the other team is fully into their D. I think Ollie may have learned too much from Larry Brown because SMU played the same way, and they had driving opportunities as well before UConn was set.

Other teams, not SMU, took advantage of this UConn teams propensity to set their defense a halfbeat too late.
I do like it when ollie tries to exploit a mismatch. He had purvis and Samuel try and post of on moore but the ball never arrived. Last year they were able to set a screen and get a switch and either pick and pop, pick and roll l, or get get the big on little/little on big

Reaction Score
I would bet Adams is closer to 175-180 now than 160. He looks much bigger than when he was at Cushing.
That would certainly be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky