"What it takes to play for UConn" according to Geno | The Boneyard

"What it takes to play for UConn" according to Geno

Reaction Score
We all probably know this, but it's not a bad reminder -- if Geno isn't actively recruiting someone, there's probably a reason:
<<Of the entire pool of high school players, Auriemma estimates they whittle the list down to 10 or so recruits that are not only good enough to play at UConn but also check all the boxes off the court. "By the time they get to be seniors, 10 of them can play for you after you strip away all the knuckleheads you don’t want on your team, or the selfish kids you don’t want on your team, or the kids that think going to classes is optional, so you don’t want them on your team,” Auriemma said at the UConn Coaches Show on Monday.>>

Reaction Score
The article basically is saying what I said last week to all kinds of grief. He even cited Stanford as the main competition for the kids we want, as I did. It is about culture and Geno's approach does preclude a whole lot of kids who are great players and maybe want to be met halfway. Few people like "my way or the highway". They are 18 year old kids. I think Geno does accommodate the players more than he admits to though. He's a disciplinarian but he obviously cares a lot for the kids. He has fun with the kids. His bark is worse than his bite but there is no doubt who is in charge. I can see a lot of kids understanding and even wanting that. Someone has to be in charge in order to achieve excellence. Someone has to push at least some.

Reaction Score
The article basically is saying what I said last week to all kinds of grief. He even cited Stanford as the main competition for the kids we want, as I did. It is about culture and Geno's approach does preclude a whole lot of kids who are great players and maybe want to be met halfway. Few people like "my way or the highway". They are 18 year old kids. I think Geno does accommodate the players more than he admits to though. He's a disciplinarian but he obviously cares a lot for the kids. He has fun with the kids. His bark is worse than his bite but there is no doubt who is in charge. I can see a lot of kids understanding and even wanting that. Someone has to be in charge in order to achieve excellence. Someone has to push at least some.
I “Liked” what you originally said and felt that these comments from Geno were what you were trying to express. Unfortunately a couple of the words/phrases you used were hot buttons for some.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom