What it looked like from 108 | The Boneyard

What it looked like from 108

Reaction Score
It looked alright. Nothing extraordinary, but good enough. UCF is limited. Their limits have limits. Two guys score in double figures, nobody above 11.6. It's going to be a real grind for them even when Taylor returns and if you asked me whether they look like a tournament team, the answer is a resounding no. Purely from a skills perspective, UConn looked like the team in the driver's seat and that's not usually the case.

But it might be more worthwhile to tell you what it didn't look like. It didn't look like a team that had quit on its coach, it didn't look like a program in free-fall, and it didn't feel like a building where mold was growing over the banners. The team had a pulse, the crowd would have been near full had the students been in session, and the overall vibes were good. It didn't look like a coach that was on the hot seat. It didn't look like a rudderless ship. There was purpose, energy, and fight. It was at the very least promising of a dignified exit that we'd all like if a transition is ever deemed necessary.

It didn't look like any of that because for most of the season it hasn't been any of that. For all of the (warranted) histrionics over Columbia and Monmouth and Coppin State, it's still really only two games - Arkansas and Auburn - that have shaped the narrative of this program and this team. Step back from those two eyesores and it's more or less the team we expected with a curve to accommodate the unexpected loss of Gilbert. They're a prideful, hard-luck group that is a piece or two away from being good. Throw those two losses into the mix and the coach has lost the players, there is no accountability, and it might be time to give up my season tickets until a change is made.

Now please don't misconstrue what I'm saying. Those two losses did happen. You don't get to remove the two worst samples from the data set. That's not how it works and algorithms are concocted based on the assumption that outliers exist for everyone. Big picture, things are not much different today than they were yesterday.

I'm not disputing the current narrative, I'm just asking you to consider the possibility that it could change. I know, that sounds obvious. But consider the circumstantial variables behind those two games: both were on a quick turnaround, both occurred in light of a tighter battle against two of the best/most talented teams in the country, and both were played far away from home during holiday break. It is my belief that a team like ours - one that is not deep, not experienced, and not particularly well-built compared to our opponents - is especially vulnerable to those sorts of situations. You could call this rationalization or hindsight if not for the fact that a lot of us saw those results coming. If we're going to say those games verify weaknesses in the team, I agree. I urge you to hold off on using them as evidence that the players aren't competitive or don't care.

Brief player notes:

Jalen - He just always leaves you wanting more. I'm not going to criticize him on a night where he plays 39 minutes and anchors a victory. I think it's too bad that he's stuck playing this many minutes because he's a high usage, high energy player. People rightfully complain when the offense grinds to a halt, but sometimes that's simply because Jalen needs to rest. Not only do we need him to play every minute, but we also need him to create virtually every possession. That's a tough ask, but you get greedy and demand it out of him as a fan because he makes it look so easy when it's going well. He's smooth. The pull-up jumper he hit in the second half to cap off a run was so reminiscent of Kemba/Shabazz. You could feel it coming after he had probed the hedge man the previous couple possessions to gauge the angle. Every game he does things that special players do for special teams. It's a matter of consistency.

Vital - I'm just going to repeat the obvious and credit him for his amazing energy on both ends. He was all over the place tonight as if he were shot out of a cannon. I think he's becoming more comfortable as a lead ball-handler and looking to attack the rim (nine free throws!) in situations where he would have shot a three earlier in the year. The moment from the game that will stick out to me though came after the whistle when he was fouled on the dunk attempt: he hit the ground HARD and you could tell he should have been hurt, but he literally didn't have time to be hurt because he was so busy worrying about how he was gonna get back at the dude who fouled him. I swear this happened where he was so alpha in that moment that he simply did not care that his tailbone had just splintered all over the floor. #doctor

Anderson - I think this kid gets a bad rap on this board, man. He's tough, he's experienced, and he isn't afraid to have the ball in his hands. He obviously has his limitations and shouldn't be playing so many minutes if not for the Gilbert injury, but there aren't too many programs in the country that are too good to have Antoine Anderson on the team. He could absolutely play for sweet sixteen team x as a reserve in the tournament.

Larrier - Honestly nothing really stood about about his game tonight. I know that is usually said as a negative, but I genuinely don't mean it as either a positive or negative in this circumstance. He kind of just did what he does.

Carlton - I have no complaints. He's tall which is helpful in basketball. I know that probably seems like something I'm saying as I'm dozing off, but seriously. Being tall and wide-bodied is good. In time, he can develop some skills and become a real solid player, but for now we're just asking him to catch the ball when it is thrown to him and do other things that tall people do. He's not a great athlete by any means and he's not the type of player who brings me to my feet when he's on the floor, but you need guys like this on a roster. Possibly a victim of being a freshman at the same time as...

Whaley - Wow. There are some kids, like Carlton, where you watch him, nod your head in approval, and say, "I like him but I can see why he's ranked where he's ranked." Then there are kids like Whaley where you wonder if somebody might have missed one. I mean, he's obviously still raw, but his tools on defense are off the charts. The length, the agility, the closing speed, the balance...they make players like him for posters like me. That block from behind he had late in the game on the UCF guard almost had me fainting. I don't think he's THAT raw on offense and would like to see him touch the ball more. Right now he is the kid on the roster that I pay to see. If I were a coach monitor, you know how they have dental monitors in that dumb commercial, my monitor would be going off right now and then I'd say let's get him to the nearest hall of fame coach immediately before someone dies. Dynamic talent, keep an eye on him

Diarra - Absolute foul machine, but I really like him. I prefer him to Carlton at this point. The way he accelerated off that floor for that dunk on the nice feed from Anderson (I think?) in the first half made me very hopeful. It was the sort of relaxed, explosive motion that we haven't had in a long while save for one year of Shonn Miller. This will be a litmus test for the staff because there are a lot of coaches, Hurley at Rhode Island would be a good example, that would turn this kid into a real player by his sophomore year. Reminds me of Hassan Martin.

Overall it was great to be back at Gampel. I choose to view this not as an abnormality but as a continued trend of some pretty solid basketball. I think KO and the staff have them more focused and attuned to both ends than they have been. The team, at large, seems more focused. They look like they have something to prove and won't be the laughing stock that people thought they'd be. Are they going to miraculously win the league and make the tournament? Probably not. But the one blessing in having a roster that isn't deep is that it allows the young guys to grow faster. Whaley, Carlton, Vital, and Diarra are getting more minutes than we expected and they're getting better fast. All it takes are a couple more good performances and all of a sudden you go from a broken program to a likable, talented nucleus that could make a modest run in March and then come back poised to re-join the top 25 conversation the following year. Go Huskies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Sleepless in CT. I liked that OP. Something has happened over the last four games that give me some hope. I have not been thrilled with KO, and not just this year, because I’ve felt his teams are always a Jekyll and Hyde of consistent intensity, making them unwatchable at times. But not so the last four games. They don’t have the talent or maturity right now to where intensity will always produce Ws, and their ball movement still is an issue, but if they can sustain the work ethic, they might wind up winning a few games that we might not have expected a few weeks ago.

I totally agree on Whaley. To some extent he is playing too fast. Some of the put backs he’s missing I think are a little rushed, but I think time will help.

Vital might have some shot selection issues, but his head is always in the game. And it’s true Adams is being asked to do too much, but I think he’s still plays faster than he needs too. Hoops is a guards game and the O will only look as good as the guards make it.

But all in all, if they can keep up the defensive intensity, they might not be so hard to watch. Some of the youngsters are coming along.

Reaction Score
Good win. But what is truly noticeable is just how far the quality of players we have has fallen. We maybe have 2-3 guys who would see the floor on most teams in the Calhoun era. That said, this was a solid team effort and they didn’t fold when UCF made a run.

Reaction Score
The crowd would of been near full had the students been back? Not sure i agree. The last few games i've been, the student section wasn't even half full. Outside Wichita State game, we've had problems selling tickets

Reaction Score
Vital - needs to stop showboating after every layup or three. Its a bad look. Otherwise he made smart decisions tonight which is usually his downfall. I def don't want him to be a ball handler though. Leave that to Anderson and Adams.

Adams- Solid game as it was hard for him to get his layups with Taco there. Kid needs more than a minute break. His pull up game is inconsistent which hurts his overall game.

Whaley needs to be on the court and gain experience. He needs to the play the 4. He is active and stays out of foul trouble. He needs to make a basket though. He missed so many tap in's and other close range shots.

Larrier is Larrier - bad dribbling but great mid range game.

Ollie relys on the 3 guard with Larrier at 4 too much. Three guard could work but not with Larrier at the 4. When Larrier got hurt and came out I liked then end line up. Need Larrier obviously but stay running off back screens at the three

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Anderson - I think this kid gets a bad rap on this board, man. He's tough, he's experienced, and he isn't afraid to have the ball in his hands. He obviously has his limitations and shouldn't be playing so many minutes if not for the Gilbert injury, but there aren't too many programs in the country that are too good to have Antoine Anderson on the team. He could absolutely play for sweet sixteen team x as a reserve in the tournament.

I don't mind Anderson, and wish he shot it better, but what was with that odd spin on his passes last night? He almost threw it into the backcourt on simple passes a few times. Has he been doing that all year and I never noticed it?

Reaction Score
Can't disagree with much of the OP about some fine individual efforts. But to me the team element is still missing, demonstrated by the limited number of assists.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It looked alright. Nothing extraordinary, but good enough. UCF is limited. Their limits have limits. Two guys score in double figures, nobody above 11.6. It's going to be a real grind for them even when Taylor returns and if you asked me whether they look like a tournament team, the answer is a resounding no. Purely from a skills perspective, UConn looked like the team in the driver's seat and that's not usually the case.

But it might be more worthwhile to tell you what it didn't look like. It didn't look like a team that had quit on its coach, it didn't look like a program in free-fall, and it didn't feel like a building where mold was growing over the banners. The team had a pulse, the crowd would have been near full had the students been in session, and the overall vibes were good. It didn't look like a coach that was on the hot seat. It didn't look like a rudderless ship. There was purpose, energy, and fight. It was at the very least promising of a dignified exit that we'd all like if a transition is ever deemed necessary.

It didn't look like any of that because for most of the season it hasn't been any of that. For all of the (warranted) histrionics over Columbia and Monmouth and Coppin State, it's still really only two games - Arkansas and Auburn - that have shaped the narrative of this program and this team. Step back from those two eyesores and it's more or less the team we expected with a curve to accommodate the unexpected loss of Gilbert. They're a prideful, hard-luck group that is a piece or two away from being good. Throw those two losses into the mix and the coach has lost the players, there is no accountability, and it might be time to give up my season tickets until a change is made.

Now please don't misconstrue what I'm saying. Those two losses did happen. You don't get to remove the two worst samples from the data set. That's not how it works and algorithms are concocted based on the assumption that outliers exist for everyone. Big picture, things are not much different today than they were yesterday.

I'm not disputing the current narrative, I'm just asking you to consider the possibility that it could change. I know, that sounds obvious. But consider the circumstantial variables behind those two games: both were on a quick turnaround, both occurred in light of a tighter battle against two of the best/most talented teams in the country, and both were played far away from home during holiday break. It is my belief that a team like ours - one that is not deep, not experienced, and not particularly well-built compared to our opponents - is especially vulnerable to those sorts of situations. You could call this rationalization or hindsight if not for the fact that a lot of us saw those results coming. If we're going to say those games verify weaknesses in the team, I agree. I urge you to hold off on using them as evidence that the players aren't competitive or don't care.

Brief player notes:

Jalen - He just always leaves you wanting more. I'm not going to criticize him on a night where he plays 39 minutes and anchors a victory. I think it's too bad that he's stuck playing this many minutes because he's a high usage, high energy player. People rightfully complain when the offense grinds to a halt, but sometimes that's simply because Jalen needs to rest. Not only do we need him to play every minute, but we also need him to create virtually every possession. That's a tough ask, but you get greedy and demand it out of him as a fan because he makes it look so easy when it's going well. He's smooth. The pull-up jumper he hit in the second half to cap off a run was so reminiscent of Kemba/Shabazz. You could feel it coming after he had probed the hedge man the previous couple possessions to gauge the angle. Every game he does things that special players do for special teams. It's a matter of consistency.

Vital - I'm just going to repeat the obvious and credit him for his amazing energy on both ends. He was all over the place tonight as if he were shot out of a cannon. I think he's becoming more comfortable as a lead ball-handler and looking to attack the rim (nine free throws!) in situations where he would have shot a three earlier in the year. The moment from the game that will stick out to me though came after the whistle when he was fouled on the dunk attempt: he hit the ground HARD and you could tell he should have been hurt, but he literally didn't have time to be hurt because he was so busy worrying about how he was gonna get back at the dude who fouled him. I swear this happened where he was so alpha in that moment that he simply did not care that his tailbone had just splintered all over the floor. #doctor

Larrier - Honestly nothing really stood about about his game tonight. I know that is usually said as a negative, but I genuinely don't mean it as either a positive or negative in this circumstance. He kind of just did what he does.

Carlton - I have no complaints. He's tall which is helpful in basketball. I know that probably seems like something I'm saying as I'm dozing off, but seriously. Being tall and wide-bodied is good. In time, he can develop some skills and become a real solid player, but for now we're just asking him to catch the ball when it is thrown to him and do other things that tall people do. He's not a great athlete by any means and he's not the type of player who brings me to my feet when he's on the floor, but you need guys like this on a roster. Possibly a victim of being a freshman at the same time as...

Whaley - Wow. There are some kids, like Carlton, where you watch him, nod your head in approval, and say, "I like him but I can see why he's ranked where he's ranked." Then there are kids like Whaley where you wonder if somebody might have missed one. I mean, he's obviously still raw, but his tools on defense are off the charts. The length, the agility, the closing speed, the balance...they make players like him for posters like me. That block from behind he had late in the game on the UCF guard almost had me fainting. I don't think he's THAT raw on offense and would like to see him touch the ball more. Right now he is the kid on the roster that I pay to see. If I were a coach monitor, you know how they have dental monitors in that dumb commercial, my monitor would be going off right now and then I'd say let's get him to the nearest hall of fame coach immediately before someone dies. Dynamic talent, keep an eye on him

Diarra - Absolute foul machine, but I really like him. I prefer him to Carlton at this point. The way he accelerated off that floor for that dunk on the nice feed from Anderson (I think?) in the first half made me very hopeful. It was the sort of relaxed, explosive motion that we haven't had in a long while save for one year of Shonn Miller. This will be a litmus test for the staff because there are a lot of coaches, Hurley at Rhode Island would be a good example, that would turn this kid into a real player by his sophomore year. Reminds me of Hassan Martin.

Overall it was great to be back at Gampel. I choose to view this not as an abnormality but as a continued trend of some pretty solid basketball. I think KO and the staff have them more focused and attuned to both ends than they have been. The team, at large, seems more focused. They look like they have something to prove and won't be the laughing stock that people thought they'd be. Are they going to miraculously win the league and make the tournament? Probably not. But the one blessing in having a roster that isn't deep is that it allows the young guys to grow faster. Whaley, Carlton, Vital, and Diarra are getting more minutes than we expected and they're getting better fast. All it takes are a couple more good performances and all of a sudden you go from a broken program to a likable, talented nucleus that could make a modest run in March and then come back poised to re-join the top 25 conversation the following year. Go Huskies.

Good stuff. Some quick thoughts on your thoughts.

Whaley: Yeah, he really is limited offensively from a recruiting perspective. Guys his size, level of athleticism etc. can often shoot effectively from 3 point range. He can dunk and make layups...but his effective shooting range is pretty close to zero. Still a good looking piece given what he does on D and rebounding.

Diarra: good build and athleticism. As he gains some savvy about leaving his feet on D, and scoring through contact, I think he can become a very effective PF.

Larrier: He's playing scared. The guy can flat out shoot, and has a beautiful midrange game. He elevates vertically on his shot as well as anyone we've had in a long, long time. Almost impossible to block his jump shot, which is why he gets it off when guarded. But he wants nothing to do with any contact around the basket. Not on offense or defense, and that limits him.

Vital: Bit of a punk really. A guy we would absolute hate on the opposing team. Good to have on your team. His shot is getting better, but dear God, he needs to not be what Johnnie Selvie would be if he were a SG. Pass the ball occasionally. Especially when they are doubling you because you have been torching them.

Jalen: finally back to playing like a PG. Took him about the same amount of time last season, after he was groomed to play SG. I guess I'd say he's not mentally flexible in that way. Two years in a row he was set up to be an off guard and had to revert to our lead PG. Two years in a row he's done it....but slowly. He should be better from here out, and so should our offense. Some nice feeds.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Although almost as long as War and Peace, a good read. Probably the longest post I've read on the yard.
I have to agree with you. Normally I stay away from posts that are numbered 1-35. Probably me getting older. However, I started to read Champs. Couldn't stop reading. The assessment of players is what I totally agree on. Hit the nail on the head from start to finish. Well done.

Reaction Score

Brief player notes:

You should recieve an honorarium for this. I appreciated the truth and objectivity.
Very thorough assessment.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Brief player notes:

When did Dogmania change his handle?

Reaction Score

Brief player notes:

The Providence and MSU second half doesn’t exist either, when MSU played horribly in the first half. I’m happy with what I saw last night but there are no illusions, especially when up against quality.

Reaction Score
Larrier: He's playing scared. The guy can flat out shoot, and has a beautiful midrange game. He elevates vertically on his shot as well as anyone we've had in a long, long time. Almost impossible to block his jump shot, which is why he gets it off when guarded. But he wants nothing to do with any contact around the basket. Not on offense or defense, and that limits him.

That is what my eyes tell me as well. It is justified to an extent, he almost had basketball taken away from him with the knee. He watched as Gilbert had basketball taken away from him for a second straight year. But if he wants to make the NBA (and I believe he has the skills) he needs to add some toughness to his game around the rim. But it ain't physical, it fear.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Vital - needs to stop showboating after every layup or three. Its a bad look. Otherwise he made smart decisions tonight which is usually his downfall. I def don't want him to be a ball handler though. Leave that to Anderson and Adams.

Adams- Solid game as it was hard for him to get his layups with Taco there. Kid needs more than a minute break. His pull up game is inconsistent which hurts his overall game.

Whaley needs to be on the court and gain experience. He needs to the play the 4. He is active and stays out of foul trouble. He needs to make a basket though. He missed so many tap in's and other close range shots.

Larrier is Larrier - bad dribbling but great mid range game.

Ollie relys on the 3 guard with Larrier at 4 too much. Three guard could work but not with Larrier at the 4. When Larrier got hurt and came out I liked then end line up. Need Larrier obviously but stay running off back screens at the three

Agreed on the bold especially. Larrier needs to be at the 3 as often as possible, and when we go three guards, he should probably be on the pine, as he was at the end of the game last night. We play 3 guards too much anyway. Polley should be getting some of Anderson's minutes, and I think you could play Larrier at the 4 with Polley at the 3.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That is what my eyes tell me as well. It is justified to an extent, he almost had basketball taken away from him with the knee. He watched as Gilbert had basketball taken away from him for a second straight year. But if he wants to make the NBA (and I believe he has the skills) he needs to add some toughness to his game around the rim. But it ain't physical, it fear.

This is giving me flashbacks to the Morris Mountain who refused to mix it up inside leaving Corny to do all the dirty work. To protect his knees, he said.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I choose to view this not as an abnormality but as a continued trend of some pretty solid basketball. I think KO and the staff have them more focused and attuned to both ends than they have been. The team, at large, seems more focused. They look like they have something to prove and won't be the laughing stock that people thought they'd be.
Definitely a solid win and one for our younger guys to be proud of and build from. With that said, win @ Tulane and I won't view it as an abnormality. They beat a putrid ECU team 5 days ago by a measly 5 points. Going to take more than 1 game where our guys played a full 40 for me to believe we're truly trending in the right direction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom