What is your passion? | The Boneyard

What is your passion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been thinking a bit on what to write this week. I think for the majority of people around here, sports are a passion. Specifically - uconn football.

It's important that our players, coaches, and university officials all know what we're about. We want to win. We want to see our players succeed - in the game, and in life.

It sucks to see them fail. Sucks. Sucks. Sucks. It hurts worse, when the perception is that better effort, better focus, better TEAMWORK - would have them succeed, and not something else - like facing superior competition. I can't believe the things I read in the past week from so called UConn football fans - I think some people really need to look in the mirror and ask themselves what they are doing. Real people, with real lives, read the comments put on the things like websites and blogs. An anonymous shield, really gives people some muscles, it seems.

Sprint football is picking up in the Northeast again, among many other aspects of scholastic football - and it got me thinking. (for those that don't know - sprint football is a concept as old as Princeton v. Rutgers. It's football played exactly the same way as teh big boys do in division 1-A, just as fast, with kids that can run and hit with just as much heart and speed, but there is a 175 pound weight limit to all players. ) So the players that will never be able to compete, with the guys that we put on the field now, can still the play the game, and go play on the same playing fields that the big boys play - at places like Navy - and Army.......

Anyway, an ex-Seal, current high school JV coach (not me) wrote this and I think it sums up how I feel right now, very well:

It seems everyone I am surrounded by is looking for inspiration these days. I am surrounded by people in the workforce who have graduated, at a minimum, from the high school level. I would venture to say most of these older people are searching for something. I find this search fascinating. What happens to a person once they leave school? Most kids I knew had dreams and aspirations to achieve so many things once they graduated. Do you remember your dreams, your aspirations as a teenager? Did you fulfill them? Or do you find yourself searching for inspiration to start one of your dreams?

So I ask people, "What is your passion?" Most people do not know what their passion is. And the people who do know their passion, do not pursue it. This puzzled me as to why? What happened to their pursuit? Was it left behind at high school? College? Their parent's house?

I realized all of this while coaching football this year for XXXXX School. I was a head JV football coach. At the JV level, I teach the kids to:

#1. Bond as a team: The sum of the parts is greater than the parts themselves.

#2. To understand the definition of commitment.

#3. To understand the concept of not giving up.

Every high school is full of kids who can learn the team's offense and defense. But few teams have kids who are committed to the program, to forming a team relationship and having the attitude of never quitting no matter what the circumstance dictates. The teams that exhibit these traits always have a chance to win no matter what their talent level. Not only are these traits indicative of a successful season but also carry over into life. I try to teach each player there is life after football; football will comprise only a small portion of your life. So if my players exhibit the traits described above in everything they try, they will be very successful.

This year was a special year for the JV football team. I had a great group of kids who really came together as a team. Part of the reason was due to one individual named XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. He is a running back (or RB - a person who runs the ball on offense) and listed as 5 feet tall, 100 lbs. By far he is our smallest guy (he was so small, he had to use two hands to hold the football). He never missed a practice, never talked back to the coaches, never asked about playing time. XXXXXX was 3rd string and would not get much playing time and knew this. But he loved playing football so much, that if he could only play by coming to practice, then that's what he would do. He knew he was too small to play, but told me he did not want to have any preferential treatment because of his size. So I treated him like any other player.

Since he was 3rd string RB, it meant he ran the ball against our scout team (first string defense). He never hesitated to run right at our first string defense, and against my recommendation; I told him to dive down on the ground when he got near them because I was afraid he would get hurt. He would consistently run straight at guys who were 6 foot tall and 200 lbs, literally twice his size. Our defense would feel bad after some plays, but XXXXXXXX would always get up and walk back to the huddle and continue on. During many practices, we would run drills with the Varsity players (all Running Backs would perform the same drills together). Most drills involved tackling the other Running Backs. He would jump in front of other guys and call out the 1st string Varsity players. Quickly, the varsity guys were asking me, who is this guy? He never really got the best of them, quite the contrary; they usually got the best of him. I could not believe his resolve and was inspired by his love of the game.

During the season I made sure to play everyone each game at least one play. So XXXXXXXXXXXX did not get much playing time to say the least. He maybe got a couple of plays at most. But it did not matter to him. He got his fun in during practice.

Our last game of the year pitted us against our archrival. We had many players injured who could not play so in our pre-game meeting, I declared XXXXXXXXXXX our team captain in order to inspire the team. The team really got pumped up. Then I learned one hour before the game, our starting Running Back could not play due to an injury. Now I needed to name a starting RB (we were already missing several RBs due to injury). So when we went through our pre-game walk through, I inserted XXXXXXX into the starting line-up. The entire team got fired up. XXXXXXXX could not believe he would actually play in a game, but would start.

The first play of the game our player gets tackled very hard by the opposing team. The next play is the same result. It is obvious to me and the rest of the coaches weare too small and slow to keep up with the opposing team. We could be in for a long night. However, the next play changed the game, we scored a Touchdown on a long run. XXXXXXXX played the entire game, catching passes, carrying the ball, blocking for our other running backs and even scoring his first ever Touchdown. We won the game 46 to 6.

After the game I spoke to the opposing coach. He could not believe his team lost (their worst loss of the season). I could not believe we won (our best game of the season). It was truly a magical game and I truly believe it had mostly to do with XXXXXX inspiring our team. Every time he caught a pass or ran the ball, our team gave it a little extra. XXXXXXXX loves the game of football. This love is what drove him to survive each practice, each drill, each hit. This love is what made him successful in his only (real) action during a game. His love taught me, reminded me, of my aspirations as a teenager. He inspired us all during our last game and touched me forever. XXXXXXXXX may have played his last game (the Varsity team cuts players) at the high school level, but because of his desire, commitment and team play, he will always remember scoring that touchdown and winning his last game. I know he is prepared to successfully continue his life after football and continue to strive for his dreams.

Now the question is, are you?

author: MaurelliJF@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My passion?

Cold beer given to me for free from strangers.

I figure anyone willing to share their cold beer with me must be a good person. Its an eternal search that's taken me to every continent except Antartica.

That's my passion. Along with boating along sugar white beaches, family, being able to control fades and draws with long irons, a full round of perfectly read putts, threesome? and Uconn sports.

Reaction Score
Sailing. Will and have given up early season FB games for a two day sailboat race. I prefer awful weather days for games until Columbus Day and then the decision to go to the game and not waste 12 hours going nowhere fast at great expense while getting wet is way easier. I have turned down business because the due date interferes with Block Island Race week. I am more depressed when there is no wind then when there is a devastating football loss until the end of October. Once the boat is pulled, then it is football.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So you are saying that McCombs is too big...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sweet jesus I read most of it - it's more of your fiction. A regular Clair Bee you are.

We had to play him because the other running backs were hurt - but he did a great job blocking for the other running backs.

Fishy don't forget the royalties - this one is going viral!

Reaction Score
Granted I couldn't read more than half that but a couple of points.

A: It's ridiculous that you plan what you post
B: You excluded the school but included his email address.
C: You are the rare person in the northeast who believes people can be defined by high school football.

That's a bit harsh. That was basically Rudy 2.0. Still, it was enjoyable and made me consider that my best effort reaps rewards in all areas of my life. Sometimes we forget that.

Carl can be a little zany or beat a silly point to death now and then but he's a good guy who made a positive post. Nothing to see here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's a bit harsh. That was basically Rudy 2.0. Still, it was enjoyable and made me consider that my best effort reaps rewards in all areas of my life. Sometimes we forget that.

Carl can be a little zany or beat a silly point to death now and then but he's a good guy who made a positive post. Nothing to see here.

Yeah the coach had a 100 lb player that was so small he told him to throw himself on the ground in practice if he got near the defense This was his
'scout team'. And said coach left this player at the running back position. And in the big rivalry game everyone was hurt and this kid inspired them to a 40 point win.

He's a jackass troll who is passing of his fiction as reality. It is Rudy. It isn't even original fiction.

Penthouse letters would reject crap like this.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
My passion? I don't have the words. Wait a minute, actually I do:

Reaction Score
THe only fiction is the ex-navy seal. I put that in to grab attention, because his real career isn't as sexy. Joe Maurelli served in the navy, but he wasnt a seal, he was a nuclear engineer. He is the current chair of the board of trustees at Marymount. He built submarines at Newport News, VA, and developed a major operation that was run out of General Dynamics in New London, and he coached JV football at Fauquier High School, in VA, and he did have a student, that he wrote this story about. After he stopped building subs, he served as the chief designer of the Ticoderoga class of guided missle cruisers In civilian life, he built a multimillion dollar company from scratch. And he coached JV football,and he wrote this story.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
THe only fiction is the ex-navy seal. I put that in to grab attention, because his real career isn't as sexy. Joe Maurelli served in the navy, but he wasnt a seal, he was a nuclear engineer. He is the current chair of the board of trustees at Marymount. He built submarines at Newport News, VA, and developed a major operation that was run out of General Dynamics in New London, and he coached JV football at Fauquier High School, in VA, and he did have a student, that he wrote this story about. After he stopped building subs, he served as the chief designer of the Ticoderoga class of guided missle cruisers In civilian life, he built a multimillion dollar company from scratch. And he coached JV football,and he wrote this story.

All of this may be true. The fictional story is ridiculous. Thank you for helping me find my passion - pointing out how ridiculous you are.

Any yeah this background wouldn't be 'sexy'.

Edit: google shows you in two seconds that it isn't true, but whatever.

Reaction Score
All of this may be true. The fictional story is ridiculous. Thank you for helping me find my passion - pointing out how ridiculous you are.

Any yeah this background wouldn't be 'sexy'.

You must live a sad life in whatever cubicle you've got at Cigna, or the Hartford, or wherever you work. If this is what your passion is, so be it. Incredibly pathetic, but if it makes you happy, that's what matters.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You must live a sad life in whatever cubicle you've got at Cigna, or the Hartford, or wherever you work. If this is what your passion is, so be it. Incredibly pathetic, but if it makes you happy, that's what matters.

Insurance blows - it pays though and that is what matters. Pointing out your bs isn't really my passion. I just enjoy when blowhards like you are easily refuted.

On a board that is in theory about UConn football, you posted a fictional story about a high school football player as fact, lied about the background of the person who wrote it - and then afterwards misrepresented his credentials. You'll have to forgive me if I don't see the point. Other than to do Fishy a solid and drive traffic!

For someone who blathers on and on about things like honor and the Navy you sure play it fast and loose with facts.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry offended you whaler, and I'm not up to your standards of quality control when it comes to inspiration and stories of success.

You must be right though, a guy like Joe Maurelli couldn't possibly have found an incredible source of inspiration in a small kid, playing football, with a heart bigger than you clearly, can possibly imagine can exist.

And I must be a fool, for actually having a positive outlook on life.

Reaction Score
Interests:
Hiking large Mountains Washington Redskins Washington Capitals Washington Nationals Washington Wizards Coaching Football

? How do people highlight stuff when you post - I'd love to highlight the "coachign football" part - taking off the follwoing link.

Contact him whaler - maybe it wil change your life.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/joe-maurelli/5/5a4/a6

Reaction Score
Sailing. Will and have given up early season FB games for a two day sailboat race. I prefer awful weather days for games until Columbus Day and then the decision to go to the game and not waste 12 hours going nowhere fast at great expense while getting wet is way easier. I have turned down business because the due date interferes with Block Island Race week. I am more depressed when there is no wind then when there is a devastating football loss until the end of October. Once the boat is pulled, then it is football.

Someday, when enough energy suckers have sucked out my will to keep writing, I'll find you and I will race you out to the block, and we'll have a great time drinking in salt pond, and maybe wake up to go fishing in the morning.

Reaction Score
Hey Ellington zip code, I was up in Newport for the America's cup this summer. Have you seen the catamaran's? I"ve got some pics on my phone, can't load now, but if I remember tomorrow I will. Those things were unbelievable fast in the water.

Reaction Score
I read a quote once, it went something like: "2,000 SEALs served in Vietnam and I have met 20,000 of them."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm sorry offended you whaler, and I'm not up to your standards of quality control when it comes to inspiration and stories of success.

You must be right though, a guy like Joe Maurelli couldn't possibly have found an incredible source of inspiration in a small kid, playing football, with a heart bigger than you clearly, can possibly imagine can exist.

And I must be a fool, for actually having a positive outlook on life.

Having a positive outlook on life and being completely full of are two different things. I like how you draw conclusions about me because I know you are full of . Attack me all you like, deflect the reality of what I'm saying. You are a pompous ass who is totally and completely full of .

You post fiction treat it as fact. Preach nonsense out of your ass and pretend that most of us are idiots and you are providing a service educating us. Stupid horse - why won't you drink up a story about a fictional JV football game - it's so relevant to UConn!

I was thinking about what I was going to write this week... Asshat this isn't a church and you aren't the pastor.

Reaction Score
Working with inspiring people and being part of inspired groups. Working towards a worthy goal.

It's one of the things I find so compelling about college football.

Reaction Score
Sweet jesus I read most of it - it's more of your fiction. A regular Clair Bee you are.

We had to play him because the other running backs were hurt - but he did a great job blocking for the other running backs.

Fishy don't forget the royalties - this one is going viral!

Wow -- a Clair Bee reference. I'm blown away. I thought I was the only person alive who remembered reading all his books.

On the other hand, I'm not sure Clair Bee, having been as innovative as he was as a coach, would be thrilled with the comparison.

Reaction Score
I like the sensation I get when I bite into a York Peppermint Pattie

Reaction Score
Having a positive outlook on life and being completely full of **** are two different things. I like how you draw conclusions about me because I know you are full of ****. Attack me all you like, deflect the reality of what I'm saying. You are a pompous ass who is totally and completely full of ****.

You post fiction treat it as fact. Preach nonsense out of your ass and pretend that most of us are idiots and you are providing a service educating us. Stupid horse - why won't you drink up a story about a fictional JV football game - it's so relevant to UConn!

I was thinking about what I was going to write this week... Asshat this isn't a church and you aren't the pastor.

The only pompous i see here is you Whaler - grow up. So someone writes something you don't agree with - who cares? How does it feel going through life pissed off at the world all the time - must be fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom