What is UConn's TV rights worth to the Big 12? | The Boneyard

What is UConn's TV rights worth to the Big 12?

How much is UConn worth to the Big 12?

• Total voters

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Many have mentioned that UConn would hurt the pro-rata TV deal for the Big 12 should they be invited if Pac-12 schools don't make the plunge. But what really is UConn worth?

Here is my math:

UConn currently gets around 4 million per year from the Big East and 500k from football.

Some would say they are worth 4.5 million. But I would argue they are worth a whole lot more to the Big 12.

Firstly, the Big East contract was created before UConn joined the league. The league is expected to get a bump to anywhere between 6-10 million per year. My guess: 7 million per year (a conservative estimate).

Secondly, not everyone is worth the same. UConn is the most valuable program in the Big East (Nova is 2nd). Seeing how USC/UCLA were worth 40% of the Pac-12, one can assume a similar dynamic in the Big East (with one less school).

I would argue the split is somewhere near 23/17 UConn/Nova as the former also has an excellent women's basketball program.

23% of 77 million is around 17 million.

To the football side, UConn only gets paid for its home games. It also plays a hybrid P5/G5 schedule. In a P5 league, it would be playing a P5 schedule. For those reasons alone, I believe their football would be worth about 3-5 million: let's settle at 4 million.

That totals to 21 million (10+ million shy of the rest of the Big 12).

What do you think?

Reaction Score
Many have mentioned that UConn would hurt the pro-rata TV deal for the Big 12 should they be invited if Pac-12 schools don't make the plunge. But what really is UConn worth?

Here is my math:

UConn currently gets around 4 million per year from the Big East and 500k from football.

Some would say they are worth 4.5 million. But I would argue they are worth a whole lot more to the Big 12.

Firstly, the Big East contract was created before UConn joined the league. The league is expected to get a bump to anywhere between 6-10 million per year. My guess: 7 million per year (a conservative estimate).

Secondly, not everyone is worth the same. UConn is the most valuable program in the Big East (Nova is 2nd). Seeing how USC/UCLA were worth 40% of the Pac-12, one can assume a similar dynamic in the Big East (with one less school).

I would argue the split is somewhere near 23/17 UConn/Nova as the former also has an excellent women's basketball program.

To the football side, UConn only gets paid for its home games. It also plays a hybrid P5/G5 schedule. In a P5 league, it would be playing a P5 schedule. For those reasons alone, I believe their football would be worth about 3-5 million: let's settle at 4 million.

What do you think?
Rule 1

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure there is a real good way to put this together. Had it been Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers or Louisville left behind their back of the napkin math would look no worse... The fallacy may be in thinking that schools are added have to in of themselves meet or increase the payout.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure there is a real good way to put this together. Had it been Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers or Louisville left behind their back of the napkin math would look no worse... The fallacy may be in thinking that schools are added have to in of themselves meet or increase the payout.
This. Only a very small handful of schools accomplish that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Here is my math:

What do you think?
I think you're missing a decent sized part of the equation.

How much would having UConn in the B-12 increase viewership of B-12 men's hoops games in the northeast (more affluent and more densely populated than the remainder of the conference)? This won't lead directly to dollars to the conference until the next set of media rights (2031) but, it would be a sizable factor.

Reaction Score
What our actual number is, I have no idea. However, I do know we are worth more than BCU, Rutgers, or Wake for starters. So thats our floor. We are in a Top 30 DMA. Add in Fairfield County and its 21/22. I know carriage fees are going away to some degree, but thats sill a lot of people and households. No matter where I end up living, I will also pay to stream UConn sports.

Reaction Score
Only 2 of the P5 are in the Northeast. UConn is the Big 12's ticket to the Northeast, and all things considered, the best ticket based on past success and future potential. WVU is no longer on an island with Cincy joining and UConn brings an additional presence in the Eastern Time Zone. Coming to the northeast could also offer Big 12 programs other OOC scheduling opportunities in this area - football, NYC hoops - (I'm just spit-balling but I think it makes sense). So I think the value of UConn is much higher than just looking at it in traditional terms.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Only 2 of the P5 are in the Northeast. UConn is the Big 12's ticket to the Northeast, and all things considered, the best ticket based on past success and future potential. WVU is no longer on an island with Cincy joining and UConn brings an additional presence in the Eastern Time Zone. Coming to the northeast could also offer Big 12 programs other OOC scheduling opportunities in this area - football, NYC hoops - (I'm just spit-balling but I think it makes sense). So I think the value of UConn is much higher than just looking at it in traditional terms.
Now you've done it, reignited the great "what constitutes the northeast" debate of 2023. Smooth move Potsie.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Reaction Score
Now you've done it, reignited the great "what constitutes the northeast" debate of 2023. Smooth move Potsie.
New England, tri-state, PA.

Reaction Score
New England, tri-state, PA.
Boston College, Syracuse, Rutgers, Penn State, Pittsburgh. That's five...

Unless the ACC doesn't fall under your definition of P5?

Reaction Score
Boston College, Syracuse, Rutgers, Penn State, Pittsburgh. That's five...

Unless the ACC doesn't fall under your definition of P5?
ACC, B1G. That's 2. The Big 12 would be #3. I see my post could have been more precise.

Reaction Score

Here is my math:

What do you think?
I think that anyone on this board who participates is just guessing.

Reaction Score
I'm sure this is somewhere on the yard.... but the Big 12 TV partners (Fox - ESPN) are reportedly willing to accept certain "G-5" schools as a P-5 addition.

Reaction Score
The B12 and ACC have similar TV values, $32M to $36M payout per school, and have a strong balance between hoops and football. One rule of thumb is 20% value for hoops, or $6-$7M for hoops.

The Big East contract is end of cycle. We are top tier basketball in better TV markets. Expect to increase from $5M to more than $7M but less than $10M. I’d guess $8M.

UConn on the fence with the B12 while the Big East is negotiating its next TV deal is unfortunate for the Big East.

For the B12, is UConn football worth $24M? Only if their TV deal will increase its pay for the addition and not dilute the existing members. It’s likely a 3-way discussion including TV.

Then there is the $30M exit fee.

It’s within reasonable value for the B12. That’s why they are talking.

Reaction Score
The B12 and ACC have similar TV values, $32M to $36M payout per school, and have a strong balance between hoops and football. One rule of thumb is 20% value for hoops, or $6-$7M for hoops.

The Big East contract is end of cycle. We are top tier basketball in better TV markets. Expect to increase from $5M to more than $7M but less than $10M. I’d guess $8M.

UConn on the fence with the B12 while the Big East is negotiating its next TV deal is unfortunate for the Big East.

For the B12, is UConn football worth $24M? Only if their TV deal will increase its pay for the addition and not dilute the existing members. It’s likely a 3-way discussion including TV.

Then there is the $30M exit fee.

It’s within reasonable value for the B12. That’s why they are talking.
And UConn's women's basketball brings a lot of tv value as well and the Big12 has made it clear they value both men's and women's basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom