What is the Plan Now | The Boneyard

What is the Plan Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Recruiting wise so much is now set, we need something to discuss.

2017-2018 we have a full 13 man roster.

2018-2019 we have a full 13 man roster assuming Larrier exits to pursue his future. 14 if he were to stay.
Jalen is part of that 13 man roster, and we are very solid in 2018-2019 if he were to stay for his senior year.
If Jalen goes, that will be a spring decision. I would assume our most likely course of action would be a 5th year grad transfer for 2018-2019 with focus on a high caliber 2019 guard. Obviously, there could be a great, (clearly eligible), 2018 decommit available in the spring as a result of college basketball scandals and what schools are being hit. If we took such a player, 2019 would be a 1 recruit year.

But, the clear case at the moment, is that we only have 2 scholarships to recruit for in the 2019 class. A guard to replace Jalen Adams, and a big to replace Eric Cobb. With our expected returnees, it would seem we should be going 'all in' on the best difference makers we can to fill these schollies. I think we generally agree that we waited for Diallo and missed out on good players who might have committed, BUT, I can see repeating that strategy as being the preferred strategy in 2019 with just 1 recruit to seek in the back court and 1 in the front court. Thoughts?

If a transfer occurs then we likely can find a player of similar ability to whomever is leaving.

In 2020 we again have only 2 recruit openings. 1 in the back court for Vital, and 1 in the frontcourt replacing Williams at a Wing/Forward.

Who are our best targets and most likely possibilities to focus on at this point?

Reaction Score
For 2019, I'd be looking for a SG and PF/C. All set with Gilbert/Akinjo at PG and Wilson/Polley at SF.

Reaction Score
Delaire is a must get. CT kid with a crazy ceiling.

Akok Akok would keep the PSA pipeline alive and he’s a great rim protector, which will be lacking.

Charles Coleman is another local guy which I’d prefer to just lock down now. Wills a NY G who is big and versatile. Another guy we’d be lucky to secure.

For a 5* reach: Lecque

Reaction Score

2018-2019 we have a full 13 man roster assuming Larrier exits to pursue his future. 14 if he were to stay.
Jalen is part of that 13 man roster, and we are very solid in 2018-2019 if he were to stay for his senior year.
If Jalen goes, that will be a spring decision. I would assume our most likely course of action would be a 5th year grad transfer for 2018-2019 with focus on a high caliber 2019 guard. Obviously, there could be a great, (clearly eligible), 2018 decommit available in the spring as a result of college basketball scandals and what schools are being hit. If we took such a player, 2019 would be a 1 recruit year.

But, the clear case at the moment, is that we only have 2 scholarships to recruit for in the 2019 class. A guard to replace Jalen Adams, and a big to replace Eric Cobb. With our expected returnees, it would seem we should be going 'all in' on the best difference makers we can to fill these schollies. I think we generally agree that we waited for Diallo and missed out on good players who might have committed, BUT, I can see repeating that strategy as being the preferred strategy in 2019 with just 1 recruit to seek in the back court and 1 in the front court. Thoughts?

If a transfer occurs then we likely can find a player of similar ability to whomever is leaving.

In 2020 we again have only 2 recruit openings. 1 in the back court for Vital, and 1 in the frontcourt replacing Williams at a Wing/Forward.

Who are our best targets and most likely possibilities to focus on at this point?

I know it's early but I feel like the following guys are of top priority for 2019 that are within reason of landing:

PG Jalen Lecque
SG Josh Nickelberry
C Kofi Cockburn
SG Bryce Wills
PF Akok Akok
SF Jaiden Delaire
C Charles Coleman

That's not inside info, that's just based on the amount of times I've seen on twitter UConn visiting or reaching out or whatever. I probably am missing a couple guys but this should be a good start.

By 2019 we presumably would still have Gilbert, Akinjo, and Vital in the fold so not sure if Lecque would commit similar to what we saw with Jalen Carey. 247 actually lists him as a CG so maybe someone who actually has seen him play can chime in about which position he actually plays. We are also in on other top guys like Cole Anthony and Ashton Hagans but I'm drawing the line at Lecque as realistic options just on gut feeling and an educated guess. Then again we have Chill now so I guess expect the unexpected.

C

Chief00

I wouldn’t spend a lot of time worrying about only two scholarships for 2019. I guarantee that won’t be the case.

Reaction Score
I know it's early but I feel like the following guys are of top priority for 2019 that are within reason of landing:

PG Jalen Lecque
SG Josh Nickelberry
C Kofi Cockburn
SG Bryce Wills
PF Akok Akok
SF Jaiden Delaire
C Charles Coleman

That's not inside info, that's just based on the amount of times I've seen on twitter UConn visiting or reaching out or whatever. I probably am missing a couple guys but this should be a good start.

By 2019 we presumably would still have Gilbert, Akinjo, and Vital in the fold so not sure if Lecque would commit similar to what we saw with Jalen Carey. 247 actually lists him as a CG so maybe someone who actually has seen him play can chime in about which position he actually plays. We are also in on other top guys like Cole Anthony and Ashton Hagans but I'm drawing the line at Lecque as realistic options just on gut feeling and an educated guess. Then again we have Chill now so I guess expect the unexpected.
I do agree, and I think we have a real shot with most of these guys on this list. I don't have inside info here either, although just look at what we've recruited over the past month or so. A couple borderlineish top 100-150 guys coming off a Losing campaign of 16-17 in the season 2016-2017 haha. Thought that was funny... anyway, I think that does point to the coaching staff and how they have us trending upwards now. However this means nothing if it doesn't translate onto the court, so I believe the targets in this class will be heavily impacted by the quality of season we have this year. I remember reading a poster (not sure who, and this isn't a shot at you if your reading it) who said something along the lines of "UConn isn't viewed as it used to be," and this is true, although we're not exactly irrelevant lol (@syracuse) . Were still viewed as UConn, and with the 2019 class, they still remember the Kemba tournament run although most of them were 9-10-11 years old at the time. But they most definitely remember the 2014 tournament run, with the magical guard play and so on. We're not viewed in the same class as the kentuckys and dukes of the world to these kids, but were still a big name program in their eyes. Hopefully it will pan out, on and off, the court!

Reaction Score
Were still viewed as UConn, and with the 2019 class, they still remember the Kemba tournament run although most of them were 9-10-11 years old at the time. But they most definitely remember the 2014 tournament run, with the magical guard play and so on

My guess is Lecque being from the Bronx is going to hear a lot about Kemba and the kids the next two years

C

Chief00

Taelon Martin too. Worked with him and some friends/teammates at a camp. He seemed pretty enthusiastic about uconn.

Edit: hes 2020, nevermind.

What’s his game like?

Reaction Score
Taelon Martin too. Worked with him and some friends/teammates at a camp. He seemed pretty enthusiastic about uconn.

yep, know he loves UCONN. Glad he reclassify to 2020 n got to a boarding school in CT. There is a chance he could go back to 19 if he blows up n gets his grades up. UCONN to lose, he likes UMASS also

Reaction Score
What’s his game like?

It can be hard to tell because camps are competitive games. But..

Explosive athlete. Dunks hard. Great in transition. Strong and powerful for his size. Decent shot.

Not a floor general. Handle is flashy more than practical in the half court. Loves to score in transition and the chasedown block like jalen adams did in hs.

Nice kid though.

Like most 2020 recruits hes just potential at this point based on athleticism. His future will be based on how he capitalizes on this year at a nepsac school.

The masters school is lower level, but the coach has done some nice things lately and could develop some nice talent, i think.

pj

Reaction Score
I'd say:
1. Even if we have only two scholarships, I wouldn't count out the possibility of using both on perimeter players. A normal roster would have 5 guards and 3 wings (for KO maybe 4 distributors and 4 wings), we'll have Akinjo, Gilbert, Vital. Polley, Matthews, Wilson -- 2 distributors and 4 wings. Key need is a distributor with size -- 6'2" or more. Jalen Lecque and Cole Anthony should be top targets, not sure if they are attainable.
2. Among big men we'll have the usual 5 roster spots filled, but will still be lacking in length. I'm not aware that anybody on the roster has a standing reach above 8'9", which is the average for NBA small forwards. Expect them to focus on 7 footers or bigs with exceptionally long arms. Charles Coleman and Dimon Carrigan would be top targets.
3. Many ways a 3rd scholarship could open up. Kwintin Williams will be 25 so after two years of development he'll have to seriously consider turning pro. The raft of 6'7" to 6'9" forwards may have stratified and someone may leave for playing time. They can afford to go for best available player.

Reaction Score
I hope kofi Cockburn is not our main big man option. He has Steve Enoch written all over him. Let's get Dimon from CC

Reaction Score

Kamiri Smith is in major play for 2020 as well. He is UConn's to lose.

C

Chief00

actually Dimon Carrigan could be our first player in 19. Depends on grades again.

I would like him. Hopefully, grades can be overcome by improved study habits, of course.

C

Chief00

Akok Akok would keep the PSA pipeline alive and he’s a great rim protector, which will be lacking.

Charles Coleman is another local guy which I’d prefer to just lock down now. Wills a NY G who is big and versatile. Another guy we’d be lucky to secure.

I think Cooley’s Assistant (PC) and Moore (URI) will be the main competition for Delaire.

Reaction Score
Kamiri Smith is in major play for 2020 as well. He is UConn's to lose.

Never seen him, but I remember thinking from videos his shot was deeply broken. Like worse than lonzo broken.

Ill pass unless that shapes up

Reaction Score

I absolutely love this kids game and think he is a perfect fit for UConn's system. He runs the floor well, is a great shot blocker, can step out and knock down a jump shot, and has nice soft hands. He is basically what we all wanted Brimah to be. Some say he is a wing but I see him as a 4. He is a little undersized but he has a knack for blocking shots.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Never seen him, but I remember thinking from videos his shot was deeply broken. Like worse than lonzo broken.

Ill pass unless that shapes up

Yeah, he shoots it from his chest or slightly below. In college, his current shot would get blocked every time. For 2019, my priorities would be Taelon Martin and Akok Akok.

Reaction Score
Yeah, he shoots it from his chest or slightly below. In college, his current shot would get blocked every time. For 2019, my priorities would be Taelon Martin and Akok Akok.
Martin is 2020 now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky