OT: What is Going On With Syracuse And the Carrier Dome? | The Boneyard

OT: What is Going On With Syracuse And the Carrier Dome?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Thought this was interesting...

The school gave naming rights “in perpetuity” to the air-conditioning company (according to a company spokesperson) in 1980 after they gave nearly $3 million to the university’s construction effort.

WNBF, an upstate New York radio station, reported on Tuesday that the season ticket holder packaging for the upcoming college football season didn’t include the name of the stadium. Like, at all. The return address on the envelops is merely “Dome Box Office” and the included materials mention it only as Syracuse University Stadium.

Kind of weird, right? It gets weirder. In the football media guide, the university doesn’t call it the Carrier Dome a single time, according to CollegeAD.

Reaction Score
Obsolescence

And don’t think NYS is gonna step up with much infrastructure dollars for any improvement desired

Reaction Score
Naming rights in perpetuity for $10.6 million (today's value). :eek::eek:

the school's agreement with Carrier on naming rights for the building costs the university millions of dollars of revenue annually

They should pay Carrier $10M, and put the naming rights on the market.

Archaic Concrete ... that’s the right phrase

The innards. When you walk around the Carrier Dome in free moments, you feel transported to late 1960s Concrete “she’s a Brickhouse” days. Think Phone company switching station. A few office buildings. Just a bunch of schools of all generations. Not good. And the concessions are squeezed in wherever they can.

So ... I don’t think the roof nor the lighting nor a high tech scoreboard changes my distaste. It’s fun to watch a big hoop Game with 32000 others. But you’re left with that overwhelming feeling: Not nice.

Reaction Score
The situation is kind of comical but I can’t bash the dome because I actually think it’s cool. It’s literally right there on campus. Wish we had that even if it’s a piece of crap. Not afraid to say it even though I despise the fruit.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
The innards. When you walk around the Carrier Dome in free moments, you feel transported to late 1960s Concrete “she’s a Brickhouse” days. Think Phone company switching station. A few office buildings. Just a bunch of schools of all generations. Not good. And the concessions are squeezed in wherever they can.

Look, not every place can be the Rent.

If they're stuck on the deal with the building itself, why don't they just sell the naming rights to the field? They already have "Jim Boeheim Court" -- would Carrier really stand in the way of them having "Corning Glass Field" or whatever craptastic industry they have near that god-forsaken hell-hole of a city?

Maybe "Wegmans Field?" Imagine how awesome the concessions would be if they played at "Wegmans Field at the Carrier Dome."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Naming rights in perpetuity for $10.6 million (today's value). :eek::eek:

the school's agreement with Carrier on naming rights for the building costs the university millions of dollars of revenue annually

They should pay Carrier $10M, and put the naming rights on the market.
When asked if the changes could alter the school's agreement with Carrier on naming rights for the building, an agreement that costs the university millions of dollars of revenue annually when compared to its peers, Rahnamay-Azar said: "Our investment of $118 million has nothing to do with our relationship with Carrier. We're doing this because this is the right thing to do."
"... of course we will never use the name Carrier dome again if they don't pony up more cash. Because not honoring your agreements is the right thing to do too."

Last edited:

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
the State of Connecticut should buy naming rights - would love to see
ConnDome splashed all over the building and in the media

Maybe the boneyard should buy the Carrier Dome instead of the pizza place. We could rebrand it the “Syracuse Sucks Dome.”

Reaction Score
the State of Connecticut should buy naming rights - would love to see
ConnDome splashed all over the building and in the media

Not bad...maybe Trojan as a partner...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Carrier’s HQ is in Florida now so maybe they just no longer want to be associated with a dumpy school like Cuse.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Carrier’s HQ is in Florida now so maybe they just no longer want to be associated with a dumpy school like Cuse.
FAU is right down the road if they want to be the sponsor of a new stadium. I can easily picture Lane Kiffen doing Carrier A/C commercials.

No truth to the rumor OTIS has hired Ray Rice as their new spokesman though.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
FAU is right down the road if they want to be the sponsor of a new stadium. I can easily picture Lane Kiffen doing Carrier A/C commercials.

No truth to the rumor OTIS has hired Ray Rice as their new spokesman though.

Yeah, if I'm an air conditioning company, not sure I want Syracuse as the place my brand screams the loudest. So Fla would be a great place for them.

Plus, with UTC looking to spin off Carrier and Otis and then merge their aerospace units with Raytheon, I'd almost bet a nickel SU can weasel out of it by saying original agreements corporate structure is no longer valid and re-open naming rights.

Reaction Score
The Dino Dome? In honor of the only thing good about that town. Dinosaur bbq

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom