What incoming freshmen are you most excited to watch? | The Boneyard

What incoming freshmen are you most excited to watch?

Reaction Score
And which do you think have the most impact? As we enter another year, we have another class of talented kids making their way into college basketball. Its always exciting to see what new kids can bring to the table for the next 4 years.

Most excited to watch:

-Jordan Horston (Tennessee)
-Rickea Jackson (Miss St)
-Haley Jones (Stanford)
-Aliyah Boston (South Carolina)
-Maori Davenport (Rutgers)
-Diamond Miller (Maryland)
-Aubrey Griffin (UCONN)

Most impactful?

Rickea Jackson and Maori Davenport stand out as they will be relied on heavily from the start. We got to see a glimpse of Rickea this summer, and she essentially carried the team. I expect both kids to have good years.

I think Horston will be fun to watch and be a terrific player for Tennessee.

Curious to see how Samantha Brunelle does for ND. A lot of production to replace from last year so she should have a lot of opportunities.

As an LSU fan I will definitely be watching for tiara young and if she can provide production with her shooting from the outside. We don't have enough pure shooters on our team so hopefully she can provide some of that for us.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Honestly haven't seen any of the incoming freshman play, but based on the threads here... Boston, Jones, and Horston.

As a Duke fan..... Jennifer Ezeh. Duke doesnt have post depth... and she's the only freshman we have with size to battle on the interior. At the local level.... Callie Scheier at High Point. Its rare that the co-North Carolina Player of the year commits to a Big South School. Probably first time in history.

Reaction Score
Out of South Carolina’s class I’m most curious about:
Laeticia Amihere
Brea Beal

Freshman across country I’m intrigued to see their transition into the college game:
Jordan Horston
Rickea Jackson
Kierstan Bell
Haley Jones
Maori Davenport
Fran Belibi
Samantha Brunelle

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And which do you think have the most impact? As we enter another year, we have another class of talented kids making their way into college basketball. Its always exciting to see what new kids can bring to the table for the next 4 years.

Most excited to watch:

-Haley Jones (Stanford)
-Aubrey Griffin (UCONN)

Most impactful?

Rickea Jackson and Maori Davenport stand out as they will be relied on heavily from the start. We got to see a glimpse of Rickea this summer, and she essentially carried the team. I expect both kids to have good years.

Curious to see how Samantha Brunelle does for ND. A lot of production to replace from last year so she should have a lot of opportunities.

As an LSU fan I will definitely be watching for tiara young and if she can provide production with her shooting from the outside. We don't have enough pure shooters on our team so hopefully she can provide some of that for us.
I'm intrigued to see D.Davis as well. Watching her tape, she's the real deal.

Outside of LSU. I really want to see Hortson, Zia, Amihere, Rickea, The Duo at Stanford. I would mention Olivier from Baylor, but I highly doubt she'll have immediate impact.

Reaction Score
I'm intrigued to see D.Davis as well. Watching her tape, she's the real deal.

Outside of LSU. I really want to see Hortson, Zia, Amihere, Rickea, The Duo at Stanford. I would mention Olivier from Baylor, but I highly doubt she'll have immediate impact.
And the most impact, I would say Horston. Or even her Teammate Key.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Anaya Peoples for me. I think she's probably the better suited of ND's two freshman to make an immediate contribution. With her defensive activity and handle, I'm honestly think she would have played big minutes if she had been a freshman last year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The 3 true Fr. and one RS Fr. bigs at Oregon St. Would like to think some combination of those 4 players will give them better post play than what they had last year.

Reaction Score
I am looking forward to a few players.

Zia Cooke, South Carolina. Lots of great PG material but of all the positions to gain a college foothold I think PG is toughest.

Sam Brunelle, Notre Dame. I’m not sure she will live up to the top billing she has gotten in prep hoops. As mentioned above her lower ranked teammate might have an impact sooner.

Brea Beal, South Carolina. Also skeptical as to her ability to keep up with the speed of the college game.

Jordan Hoarston, Tennessee. Chose to stay with the Vols, makes me think they promised to lean on her from the start. She would be my potential freshman POY

Owens and Osborne, UCLA. Is there enough talent there to help these guards have a good season? I’m just not sure, and I don’t think these guards are good enough to make an impact without it

Kennedy Brown, Oregon State. You can’t teach height. But sometimes bigs take longer to develop. But OSU is going to be a literal mountain for opponents to climb.

Rickea Jackson, Mississippi State. Seems like she will be the go to on a well coached and decent team. Gives her tons of potential to be the most impactful freshman.

Aubrey Griffin, UConn. Can she get to the strength and speed needed to be an impact player as a freshman on the biggest stage in the country. The cupboard is as bare as it’s ever been so she will get every opportunity

Most impactful freshman
Hoarston
Jackson
Haley Jones/Fran Belibi, Stanford
Aliyah Boston, South Carolina

Reaction Score
Shemera Williams at Virginia. She'll get the playing time. She is very dynamic. Wish we would have gotten her at DePaul.

Kierstan Bell at Ohio State too.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Most excited to watch:

-Haley Jones (Stanford)
-Aubrey Griffin (UCONN)

Most impactful?

Jackson
Out of South Carolina’s class I’m most curious about:
Laeticia Amihere
Brea Beal

Freshman across country I’m intrigued to see their transition into the college game:
Jordan Horston
Rickea Jackson
Kierstan Bell
Haley Jones
Maori Davenport
Fran Belibi
Samantha Brunelle

My list is similar, would add in Cook too. All of the freshmen above are entering the college ranks in a position to make a massive impact from day 1. Jackson could be a go to player from day 1, same with Brunelle and Jones. Horston at PG is intriguing.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Maori Davenport will be special. I believe Rutgers will be better than a lot of people think this year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Maori Davenport will be special. I believe Rutgers will be better than a lot of people think this year.
I think once they get Alexis Morris available, their ceiling is high.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Keeping it simple

-Aubrey Griffin (UCONN)
-Fran Belibi (Stanford)

Reaction Score
I am looking forward to a few players.

Zia Cooke, South Carolina. Lots of great PG material but of all the positions to gain a college foothold I think PG is toughest.

Sam Brunelle, Notre Dame. I’m not sure she will live up to the top billing she has gotten in prep hoops. As mentioned above her lower ranked teammate might have an impact sooner.

Brea Beal, South Carolina. Also skeptical as to her ability to keep up with the speed of the college game.

Jordan Hoarston, Tennessee. Chose to stay with the Vols, makes me think they promised to lean on her from the start. She would be my potential freshman POY

Owens and Osborne, UCLA. Is there enough talent there to help these guards have a good season? I’m just not sure, and I don’t think these guards are good enough to make an impact without it

Kennedy Brown, Oregon State. You can’t teach height. But sometimes bigs take longer to develop. But OSU is going to be a literal mountain for opponents to climb.

Rickea Jackson, Mississippi State. Seems like she will be the go to on a well coached and decent team. Gives her tons of potential to be the most impactful freshman.

Aubrey Griffin, UConn. Can she get to the strength and speed needed to be an impact player as a freshman on the biggest stage in the country. The cupboard is as bare as it’s ever been so she will get every opportunity

Most impactful freshman
Hoarston
Jackson
Haley Jones/Fran Belibi, Stanford
Aliyah Boston, South Carolina

I see that you were quite critical of all of the players you listed but might I ask why you think Beal in particular may struggle with the speed of the College game? She’s actually one freshman who I think won’t need to adjust much at all and already has a body and skill built for the next level.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I always look forward to seeing which under-the-radar recruits burst onto the scene with outstanding freshman campaigns -- the ones we don't see coming and everyone asks, "Where did she come from?"

From this past year Rhyne Howard, Naz Hillmon and Elissa Cunane come to mind.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
With CVS as coach, I will gladly take that bet that they won’t be better. She’s hanging on far too long.

Reaction Score
I see that you were quite critical of all of the players you listed but might I ask why you think Beal in particular may struggle with the speed of the College game? She’s actually one freshman who I think won’t need to adjust much at all and already has a body and skill built for the next level.

Hmmm, well to be precise I named 12 girls and 6 were in a positive light. 7 if you count my comments about Kennedy Brown.

Having watched Brea a lot I never thought her quick/fast enough to play with the D1 guards and not big enough to play with the D1 bigs. But I truly hope I’m proven wrong. But of that entire SC recruiting class she’s my vote to not finish strong. Odds are at least 1-2 of the high ranked girls in that recruiting class don’t last. Who would you pick?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. Ashley Owusu (Maryland)
2. Rickea Jackson
3. UConn freshman

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Nyara Sabally (Oregon). (I assume she counts even though she's actually a redshirt freshman due to missing all of last year.) The word from "experts" in Europe is that she has a higher upside than her sister. Maybe so, maybe not, but it's a nice compliment, and she's apparently now an inch taller (6'5") and much more physical than Satou.

Reaction Score
This is a bit out of the spotlight, but Holly Winterburn, incoming freshman at Oregon from England. Now, England doesn’t produce a lot of women’s basketball talent. But, playing in Great Britain’s professional league as a 17 and 18 year old the last two years she has been incredible, including making the equivalent of All Pro as a 18 year old. She made 13 threes in a game during their season. She may be a bust but it will be fun to watch her journey.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Nyara Sabally (Oregon). (I assume she counts even though she's actually a redshirt freshman due to missing all of last year.) The word from "experts" in Europe is that she has a higher upside than her sister. Maybe so, maybe not, but it's a nice compliment, and she's apparently now an inch taller (6'5") and much more physical than Satou.

From footage I've seen she looks like a more post oriented player than Satou. Oregon is going to be loaded for years to come if she is close to being as good as her sister.

Reaction Score
Hmmm, well to be precise I named 12 girls and 6 were in a positive light. 7 if you count my comments about Kennedy Brown.

Having watched Brea a lot I never thought her quick/fast enough to play with the D1 guards and not big enough to play with the D1 bigs. But I truly hope I’m proven wrong. But of that entire SC recruiting class she’s my vote to not finish strong. Odds are at least 1-2 of the high ranked girls in that recruiting class don’t last. Who would you pick?

Well for starters I actually think all the freshmen have at least one thing they need to work on to be successful at the next level. I also heard someone else say the same thing about Brea not being quick to play on the perimeter. It’s something to watch for but with her defending and going against Cooke, Henderson, and Harris in practice everyday I doubt that will be a problem. I’ve too watched Brea since her sophomore year and I watched her dominate these same D1 players that she’ll be playing against rather they were bigger or smaller. Her size and rebounding ability from the perimeter is something that will set her apart from everyone else IMO. Few players bigger or smaller and faster will be able to match up with her.

But if I have to be critical of SC’s freshman I will say Boston needs to work on her finishing a lot to be a high percentage shooter in College. Cooke needs to work on game management as far as when to shoot or when to pass and which shot is a good one. Beal needs to continue to work on her three point shot and become much more consistent from range, and Amihere at this point just needs to stay healthy. While I don’t feel like any are not going to pan out or be busts I do feel like they need to perfect these particular things to take the next step in their respective games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom