What if....Benedict to Hurley: “We’ll be in ACC by the final year of your contract” | Page 7 | The Boneyard

What if....Benedict to Hurley: “We’ll be in ACC by the final year of your contract”

Reaction Score
One-loss Domers could miss the playoffs...

They might make the decision on their own.

Especially if its to a 2 loss, second place SEC team whose schedule is a lot weaker than ND's...

Reaction Score
Especially if its to a 2 loss, second place SEC team whose schedule is a lot weaker than ND's...
This year's partial football schedule for ND of ACC schools is favorable to them. If they get by Stanford this week i would expect no more than 1 ND football loss beyond. It would be interesting to see how far the brand would carry them if both ND and Clemson run the table.

Reaction Score
This year's partial football schedule for ND of ACC schools is favorable to them. If they get by Stanford this week i would expect no more than 1 ND football loss beyond. It would be interesting to see how far the brand would carry them if both ND and Clemson run the table.

If Clemson wins out in the ACC, I think they are in. If Ohio St goes undefeated and wins the B10, they are in. An undefeated XII champion in Oklahoma, due to their tight win over Army (or West Virginia should they win head-to-head) or an undefeated Penn St. out of the B10 are less secure. A really interesting scenario is if Penn St. beats Ohio St; but, then loses to at Michigan. Penn St then wins the B10 title game. Who goes to the playoffs - the conference champ Penn St, the higher ranked Ohio St team, or no one? Out West, I also think a 1-loss, PAC champ in Washington would be in the mix, too, as a 5-point loss to solid Auburn team at a so-called neutral location that is 100 miles from Jordan-Hare will look good compared to any other 1-loss team outside of the SEC.

As for the SEC, which is the apple of the selection committee's eye, they can easily get 2 teams teams in. Let's say Georgia loses to Auburn and LSU; but, still finishes first in the SEC East and then upsets Alabama in the SEC Championship. Or Georgia looses to Alabama while LSU ends-up with only 1 loss all season, to Alabama. I can see Alabama and Georgia/LSU taking two slots.

So, in summary, this is what I see as of today for the playoffs (not in order by rank)

1) Clemson
2) Ohio State
3) Alabama
4) Georgia/LSU/Oklahoma/West Virginia/Washington/ND

If an 1-loss of undefeated ND gets shut-out, there will be heck to pay. If Oklahoma/West Virginia are undefeated and shut-out, the XII will panic again. If an undefeated and conference champion Penn St is shut-out, the B10 may declare war and look to destroy the XII and/or ACC.

Reaction Score
It would be great to see ND left out. Join a conference full time (like everyone else), win the conference championship game (something they don't have to contend with right now). College football has got to stop allowing ND special circumstances.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It would be great to see ND left out. Join a conference full time (like everyone else), win the conference championship game (something they don't have to contend with right now). College football has got to stop allowing ND special circumstances.
That is our Hail Mary shot at getting back into the P5. Of course they'll probably end up taking Tulsa as ND's partner at the last minute.

Reaction Score
Root for 6 undefeated teams. People will be screaming for playoff expansion. Anything that shakes the status quo is good for UCONN.

Even better root for a scenario that results in the SEC being left out of the tournament.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Root for 6 undefeated teams. People will be screaming for playoff expansion. Anything that shakes the status quo is good for UCONN.

Even better root for a scenario that results in the SEC being left out of the tournament.

Playoff expansion would not affect realignment.

Really, everything revolves around Oklahoma in a few years.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I always root for Notre Dame to finish in that 5-10th spot. Good enough to be in the playoff discussion but not good enough to beat out the 2nd place SEC team that always gets in no matter what. The more of those types of finishes they have and the more they hear about needing a 13th data point to crack the top 4, the better chance for us. Once their alumni/fanbase finally realizes that independence is hurting their playoff chance, they'll bemoan to their administrators enough to consider joining the ACC. Of course, we can't sport an absolute train wreck football program and postseason-less hoops program whenever that time comes. Especially the latter.

Reaction Score
Playoff expansion would not affect realignment.

I agree, but if they went to 8 a school like UCF would have a real shot at getting in which is why they don't want to go to 8.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom