What I Did On My Winter Vacation by Sue Bird | The Boneyard

What I Did On My Winter Vacation by Sue Bird

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sue Bird has an eye for basketball talent. Here’s how she’s using it in her NBA role with the Nuggets.

On a January evening, Sue Bird slips into Alaska Airlines Arena about an hour before a Washington men’s basketball game and settles into a seat just a few rows up from the court.

Since joining the Denver Nuggets as a basketball operations associate last November, she’s discovered an affinity for evaluating college and professional players.

However, her status as a Seattle sports legend doesn’t afford the Storm star anonymity and on this night a steady stream of fans congratulate her for winning a third WNBA title last summer.

Bird makes polite small talk before saying “Sorry, but I need to get back to work.”

She then finds another empty seat where she watches the Huskies and USC Trojans participate in pregame warm-ups, keeping an eye out for potential draft talent.

In her new job with the Nuggets, Bird is learning first-hand about the many roles of an NBA front-office executive. She was in the room as Nuggets management discussed trade options before the NBA trade deadline. She’s actively involved in the team’s pre-draft conversations, too."

Let me save you the trouble - oh what a college coach she'd be.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sue is like an onion. On the surface she's got that sweet girl next door looks and great smile. Peal back a layer and her warm personality is there. Go a few layers deeper and you find that tenacious competitor. But being very smart and analytical is a part of the mix. It would have to be for her to be as successful at point as she's been throughout her career. One of my all time favorite Huskies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
How about Sue as Geno's replacement with DT and Penny as her ass't coaches. I'm sure the three of them would be great recruiters. The only question is, would DT have the patience to coach players that didn't pick up what she was trying to teach them right away.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
How about Sue as Geno's replacement with DT and Penny as her ass't coaches. I'm sure the three of them would be great recruiters. The only question is, would DT have the patience to coach players that didn't pick up what she was trying to teach them right away.

UConn Nation is in no hurry to see Geno leave, BUT.........leave he will at some point, then the task of finding his replacement will begin, IF HE has not already found and recruited his successor. I would have no problem with your proposal of Sue, Dee and Penny as his replacements. The pressure and expectations of following a legend is enormous. Expectations few if any have met.

Two things they would all walk in the door with is knowledge of the game and name recognition, both of which would serve them well on the recruiting trail. I don't think they would have a problem teaching college aged players how to play, especially if they were eager to learn and play for them. They could always hire another assistant coach that has prior coaching experience at the D-1 level to help them. I can think of a number of former UConn players that could possibly be good to excellent college coaches.

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I would have no problem with your proposal of Sue, Dee and Penny as his replacements.

Quote you Scoop just because it is concise, and I think you are dead on about if he has his anointed one picked, we salute and get in line .... sorry 5 years of German produces strange syntax when I am tired and hungry. The suggestion of the 3 ... did anyone every her of an expression about the whole being less than the sum of the part. All three of them could HC in a heart beat. DT has been the coach on the floor to 2 at least Olympic teams - not Sue, but Dee. I think Sue would be super but she's said 17000 times, Storrs no way. Penny is a world class basketball brain.

Dee said in her Sr. year of college that she could see herself coaching after her pro career and she has the biggest kind heart, but yeah she could lose her **** on someone, just like Geno.

If the annointed one is Shea I'd do cartwheels too. Spare me the drivel / conventional wisdom of "Why she's never been a HC, even in Div 3/2 like Carla, etc etc ad infinitum.

But hey if you all want to duplicate last years 25 threads about what if Geno retires, knock yourselves out.

I'm too hungry to hang around and entirely too ill tempered right now. Wouldn't you agree!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom