What has to happen for us to win? | The Boneyard

What has to happen for us to win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would think we will need help from Houston in the form of TOs and bad penalties to produce a victory.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
+3 in turnovers and four quarters of offense that looks like they did against Navy in the second 1/2. Also need to get in the endzone when in the redzone.

Reaction Score
1) a major mistake from Houston on offense or specials that hands us a touchdown -- pick 6, snap over the punter's head, something like that . . .

2) at least one freakishly big play on offense for us -- Thomas breaks a tackle on a slant and runs forever (like Easley against WVU in 2009) for example

3) the best linebacker play we've seen in years

4) 3 or more Houston turnovers

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Every player on Houston has become academically ineligible.
Ha, I think when you are in the south, that just means you have to sit out the first series.

Reaction Score
Upsets in games like this are normally the result of 3 things.
Turnovers by the favored team especially that result in scores
A stout defensive effort by the underdog
Some panic/frustration by the favorite leading to late mistakes

All 3 happen and we win for sure
2 of 3 and and we have a better than even chance
Only 1 and we probably lose but it is closer than expected

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Success running the football. You know they won't go away from it. They should but they won't. If and I realize it's a bigger if than me becoming Governor, but if.....they run the football successfully, watch out. The confidence will be through the roof.
Need a timely TO as well. Been waiting for a bit for this.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely you(or the majority of teams) will run on them. They play 7 in the box alternating, and dare you to throw the ball. If you're going to beat them, you have to get a very strong and turnover free game from your qb. Cincy was there into the 4th qtr, and the qb play got sloppy. You have to beat them down field and do your best to contain Ward.

Reaction Score
Maybe the NCAA makes a statement like the Arch Diocese in NJ made. ( not a direct word for word quote, but ..... Any player that disrespects the country during the National anthem, especially since so many have shed blood for everyone's liberty's,) will be suspended from the game and team up to two weeks.

Houston's whole team takes a knee during the N.Anthem

If NCAA had any guts, UConn has a "very slight" chance to win by default.

Reaction Score
I think if we play Maine again instead we could surprise some people.

Reaction Score
Score more points than Houston...Fool-proof

Example: UConn 24 - Houston 17

Reaction Score
An act of God
1bhjg5.jpg

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Kidnap everyone in the stadium and replay last year's game on TV.

{I claim the mantle of the smart ass in this thread}

This is a good ticker check game. They have no business winning, given the short week, the travel, the motivated top 10 opponent but let's see how hard they fight.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was thinking things like a giant meter hitting the sideline, but the image of God from MP&HG pushed such morbid thoughts away.

I came up with this. Ice. About 3 inches of Ice. Equip our Canadians and northerners with skates, put huge spiked cleats on the linemen and go to town. I'm thinking 1000 yards rushing easy.

Reaction Score
+3 in turnovers and four quarters of offense that looks like they did against Navy in the second 1/2. Also need to get in the endzone when in the redzone.

+6 in turnovers, with at least 3 returned for td's. Then we have a chance to cover.

Reaction Score
They have no business winning, given the short week, the travel, the motivated top 10 opponent but let's see how hard they fight.
$5 says this is how BD starts the post game presser (win or lose) -

This was a great game by Uconn. I'm proud of the players and the program. Given the short week, the travel, the motivated top 10 opponent, we came out and played hard..........

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Realistically?

We need some luck in the turnover department. Force a couple early turnovers and get some momentum early in the game. We haven't done this one time this entire season. Take care of the ball on our end and take advantage of our opportunities when they come. There will be some oppies- gotta make the most of them.

Win the field position battle. Special teams will be crucial tonight. Need to catch every punt so as to not lose any yards and need to pin them deep when we can.

Don't give up big plays. This, to me, is so crucial. Every coach defines them differently but I usually think of them as 15 yards on running plays and 20 yards on passing plays. All about making UH have to go 10-12 plays if they want to score.

Finally, bend but for God's sake don't break. If we can hold them to FG's and stick around, they will start to get frustrated.

UH has one of the best run defenses in the country. Ed Oliver is going to an absolute beast tonight and I am extremely worried about him. If at all possible, I'd like to see us run some read type running plays where we key him and leave him unblocked as the "read" defender.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have a feeling this plays out like ECU Bobbys first year. Ranked opponent on the road. Hang around most of the game. Capitalize on some mistakes. Eventually we don't have the fire power to pull it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom