What Happens to the Other Sports? | The Boneyard

What Happens to the Other Sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This question has to be asked. How does this awful season by the football team affect UCONN's other sports notably the basketball and soccer programs?

Reaction Score
Uh, I don't know do you? Probably not much. If you're talking long term CR wise, well we have to get this turned around REAL FAST. No time to go out there and get curb stomped week after week with so much at stake. FB is killing our perception right now, but short term our other sports aren't going to be affected by this.

Reaction Score
I heard the NCAA offered uconn to call the football season over if they count the losses towards the basketball team. They will count the remaining games as 31-30 losses in football. I personally thought it was an option since no way we get that close in our remaining games.

Reaction Score
This question has to be asked. How does this awful season by the football team affect UCONN's other sports notably the basketball and soccer programs?
Obviously there will be NCAA sanctions levied at all the other programs because the football team had a bad year. Looking at the cause and affect I would have to say out of sympathay coach Ollie will only require the mens bb team have "seven toes in".
As for the woman I am sure Geno will ask out of respect for our football team, I want us to become The Washington Generals who continuly play hard but lose to the Harlem Globetrotters night in and night out.
As for the soccer teams...They just may boycott anything that may have to do with the football team, this because all foreign recruits believe they are playing football.
Hockey is the big worry, going into a new conference and all...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If a basketball recruit chooses Penn State over UCONN because they have a better football program, then God bless him. Football only affects conference realignment and, even then, that's more of a complete body of work thing. Make no mistake, football needs to be competitive again but the football program will have zero impact on whether or not we lose to Memphis or Louisville in basketball.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Is this thread a joke? Come on buddy.....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes I'm also curious how this will impact the soccer team.

Reaction Score

why does this question have to be asked? what does one have to do with the other.
I think the bigger question is "is there really no such thing as stupid questions?"

Reaction Score
I think the OP was actually touching on a larger issue. If the BBall team gets off to a slow start, there will be more talk of how far UConn has fallen. The recent gender lawsuits, the horrible football program, the downward trajectory of other sports due to our conference affiliation etc. This media driven tale of malaise has a way of permeating the place. Instead, the stories need to be about our thriving BBall program and the brighter football promise born of our new HC. Our success at BBall is critically important this season. For the psyche of the University, its students, faculty, donors, legislative benefactors and fans, we need KO (and Geno) and the teams to excel. Bottom line, we badly need the yin to stop and the yang to flourish.

Reaction Score
Football is having a terrible effect on women's field hockey. Like Nostical and Jimmy Carter say, "it's the malaise."

Reaction Score
If a basketball recruit chooses Penn State over UCONN because they have a better football program, then God bless him. Football only affects conference realignment and, even then, that's more of a complete body of work thing. Make no mistake, football needs to be competitive again but the football program will have zero impact on whether or not we lose to Memphis or Louisville in basketball.

Over the long term, it could be argued that beyond conference realignment, that a poor football team may reduce funds available to other UConn sport programs due to a reduction on fundraising because the alumni are upset or due to football needing additional funding to right their ship. Hopefully, Warde and company will make the right hire in the off season for the football program so that there is no long-term impact.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think the OP was actually touching on a larger issue. If the BBall team gets off to a slow start, there will be more talk of how far UConn has fallen. The recent gender lawsuits, the horrible football program, the downward trajectory of other sports due to our conference affiliation etc. This media driven tale of malaise has a way of permeating the place. Instead, the stories need to be about our thriving BBall program and the brighter football promise born of our new HC. Our success at BBall is critically important this season. For the psyche of the University, its students, faculty, donors, legislative benefactors and fans, we need KO (and Geno) and the teams to excel. Bottom line, we badly need the yin to stop and the yang to flourish.

It feels like we've been getting the yang since the Fiesta Bowl... :oops:

Reaction Score
Football is having a terrible effect on women's field hockey. Like Nostical and Jimmy Carter say, "it's the malaise."

Speaking of Jimmy Carter there are 4 schools that were the alma maters of both a US President and a Super Bowl MVP QB. Name them.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Jimmy Carter there are 4 schools that were the alma maters of both a US President and a Super Bowl MVP QB. Name them.

Navy - Staubach/Carter
Michigan - Brady/Ford

Recent history. Now - what president went to Stanford?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know the fourth is Miami Oh. But don't remember the pres. Harrison?

Reaction Score
Was Shalala the president, or was she the lead in The Hobbit, I get the two confused.

Reaction Score
Yes its Miami Ohio. Ben Roethlessberger and Benjamin Harrison, who, as the grandson of Pres William Henry Harrison and the President who served between the two non consectutive Grover Cleveland terms, is a trivia question unto himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom