What happens if the season starts, and after 5 or more games the season is abruptly halted. | The Boneyard

What happens if the season starts, and after 5 or more games the season is abruptly halted.

Reaction Score
I was trying to digest the tenuous NCAA Football season which is quickly approaching. It would appear the options are not perfect, but their are options. I'll work from the premise that an NCAA Football season will begin on time, and attempted to play through the entire season.

What if the season starts, and after 5 or more games the season is abruptly halted. That would leave some questions regarding eligibility, and draft eligibility. Let's suppose this is year 3 out of high school for a red shirt sophomore or a junior. The NCAA legislated a red shirt isn't burned for any player appearing in 4 games or fewer, so does a 5 game 2020-21 season mean that every player advances a year in terms of used eligibility that played in all 5 of those games? Does it now mean that the red shirt sophomores and 3 year juniors are now eligible for the NFL draft?

Not sure if special circumstances would require special legislation, or is the 4 game rule already dealing with this potential scenario? Would love to hear some thoughts. Have a safe 4th!

Reaction Score
Most Trolls do not make their first post such a ridiculously convoluted and complex scenario so my thought is you are special. Have a safe 4th!

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
There are a lot of variables like this.

What if we play in the Spring. Does that mean we roll right into camp for the next Fall season or are we going to play in the Spring for at least 2-3 years before they can figure out how to safely get back to normal and to allow time for recruiting?

Reaction Score
I was trying to digest the tenuous NCAA Football season which is quickly approaching. It would appear the options are not perfect, but their are options. I'll work from the premise that an NCAA Football season will begin on time, and attempted to play through the entire season.

What if the season starts, and after 5 or more games the season is abruptly halted. That would leave some questions regarding eligibility, and draft eligibility. Let's suppose this is year 3 out of high school for a red shirt sophomore or a junior. The NCAA legislated a red shirt isn't burned for any player appearing in 4 games or fewer, so does a 5 game 2020-21 season mean that every player advances a year in terms of used eligibility that played in all 5 of those games? Does it now mean that the red shirt sophomores and 3 year juniors are now eligible for the NFL draft?

Not sure if special circumstances would require special legislation, or is the 4 game rule already dealing with this potential scenario? Would love to hear some thoughts. Have a safe 4th!

If the season ends after 5 weeks then UCF will declare themselves champion.

Reaction Score
Since money makes the world go round would the media companies pro-rate their payouts to the conferences? One of the big concerns with no season is bankrupt athletic departments at the big schools. A 5 game season with no bowls and playoffs would be a big hit financially. Fans reimbursed for tickets as well unless they signed off on it as a donation. The big football states are not helping their teams have a season right now with the covid spikes there. And then if the college campuses blow up with cases there goes basketball. Stinks

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We don't go to any more games till the next season
Right?
What do I win????

Reaction Score
More time to recruit for 2021? Less injuries?

Reaction Score
Geez ?? I thought it was a legit question.

Thanks huskymedic. I'm not impacted by responses, pretty thick skinned. It's an open forum so all responses are valid, it's easy to skip through some.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Its obvious. We're 5-0 and Declare ourselves National Champions.

Reaction Score
I'd imagine something similar to spring sports getting the extra year of eligibility would happen, and seniors given the option to return

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It will just end. Eligibility will be determined by consensus of the CFB power brokers and since most NFL eligible players will just leave, it is likely that the ordinary redshirt rules would apply after 4 games.

In the trenches, a lot of 4th/5th yr seniors will find themselves in the transfer portal without a scholarship.

The NCAA tournament was cancelled, no eligibility relief was given because every school had commits ready to come aboard. Contrast that to the non-revenue spring sports which did receive relief but the schools didn't offer it to everyone nor did every student request it.

Essentially, people got on with their lives. CFB will be no different.

Reaction Score
The NCAA tournament was cancelled, no eligibility relief was given because every school had commits ready to come aboard.

... the difference is the regular season had essentially ended for CBB.

Reaction Score
I give it a 0.0% chance that here's a college football season this fall. Too much risk to everyone and no nationwide player testing apparatus in place. I don't see a scenario where it happens.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the schools weren't so freaking greedy, they would pull off an 8 game schedule where they split college football up into 5 team leagues for 2020. Do home and homes against 4 other teams that are drivable to each of the schools, and have several weeks off between games to effectively be a quarantine. That could work.

But college football can't help itself and will go for the cash grab, which has a 5000% chance of failure.

Reaction Score
If the schools weren't so freaking greedy, they would pull off an 8 game schedule where they split college football up into 5 team leagues for 2020. Do home and homes against 4 other teams that are drivable to each of the schools, and have several weeks off between games to effectively be a quarantine. That could work.

But college football can't help itself and will go for the cash grab, which has a 5000% chance of failure.
I agree with you but would do 9 team groups. 4 him 4 away. Home team gets tv rights to its league. But I actually expect the whole thing to collapse. Too many obstacles. How does Clemson travel to BC if there is a quarantine. Or how does Syracuse travel to Clemson for that matter. LA Mayor says no games in the coliseum or Rose Bowl. So does USC or UCLA play all road games? Does ANYBODY want to have anything to do with the Arizona schools now? And we are still in phase 1.

College football became a blatant money grab a few years ago. This is the corrective perhaps.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree with you but would do 9 team groups. 4 him 4 away. Home team gets tv rights to its league. But I actually expect the whole thing to collapse. Too many obstacles. How does Clemson travel to BC if there is a quarantine. Or how does Syracuse travel to Clemson for that matter. LA Mayor says no games in the coliseum or Rose Bowl. So does USC or UCLA play all road games? Does ANYBODY want to have anything to do with the Arizona schools now? And we are still in phase 1.

College football became a blatant money grab a few years ago. This is the corrective perhaps.

The travel is one problem. The number of opponents is another. Look at this sample ACC schedule

Week 3

Boston College at Clemson
NC STate at Duke
Virginia at Georgia Tech
Florida State at UNC
Syracuse at VTech
Wake at Pitt
Miami at Louisville

Week 4

Duke at BC
GTech at NC State
UNC at Virginia
VTech at FSU
Pitt at Syracuse
Louisville at Wake
Clemson at Miami

Then, on Tuesday after Week 4, there is an outbreak on Virginia's team. That would take out Virginia, Georgia Tech, UNC and NC State, because it will be impossible to know when the exposure happened. The league would have to cancel Week 5 games for all of them, which would blow a hole in the schedules for 4 more teams.

For a schedule to work in Covid, there needs to be fewer opponents, and more breaks in the schedule. Or the schools can go for the cash grab and see where that takes them.

Reaction Score
Same as baseball. Eligibilty will hold. Chris Winkle will play next season.

Reaction Score
If we play at all it could be the best scenario for UCONN football going forward!
Practice time with limited number of games would be a plus to develop young talent.

Reaction Score
Keep an eye on what happened today with Major League Soccer (MLS). A game was cancelled (technically postponed) 30 minutes before kickoff because of a positive test. And MLS is in a bubble at Disney world. MLS has only been running for half a week. This could get ugly.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom