What happened to Nolan? | The Boneyard

What happened to Nolan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He is a good defensive player. He has played on a national champion. He protects the basket and gets back on defense. This is the second game with no minutes. Zero.

Not even saying he would made a difference. Just wondering why he has been nailed to the bench.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Was thinking the same thing. Seems reminiscent of certain players disappearing from the rotation come tournament time in 2014.

Reaction Score
Yes, maybe his foot is acting up. It was obvious that KO wasn't going to SE in the second half so why not PN to give AB a rest. It wasn't like KF was tearing it up inside.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Honestly it's a really sad thing to see. I feel bad for the kid.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
We had a hard time keeping with our guys defensively, especially around screens. Nolan is a GREAT defensive screener. I'm a bit surprised we didn't see him for at least a little bit.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Great kid, terrible basketball player. Feel bad for him as well, but he adds nothing to the team other than 5 fouls.

Crap, I must have been seeing things during the Tourney run in 2014
Who was that masked Nolan?????

Reaction Score
Defensively, Nolan is much much better than Enoch.
Completely true. I don't like it when people say he gives nothing more than 5 fouls. He's our best hedge defender and can (usually) keep his man from getting deep position. He's also IMO our best screen setter on the other side of the ball.

Reaction Score
I kinda think he's getting screwed.

The guy is not a lottery pick big, but he doesn't warrant being buried on the bench like he has been unless he's injured. See the points above as to why he should see some more time - plus our bigs are not really kids who can dominate games in any consistent fashion if at all - so give the kid some run.

it's been a real wacky year in the talent management department and that's being generous.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I think Phil has been injured all year and is playing through it. If I were to place a bet on it I would say it is his back rather than foot. I based this on watching him have zero lift but no limp. I also think it is a transient thing (good days and bad) which happens with backs. I hope he has some good days ahead!

Reaction Score
Kid's got a ring, played on a team with an AA and Husky of Honor, didn't pay for a college education, traveled all over the country and to Germany and the Islands, played against 'now' NBA players and probably had a student experience that many can and never will have.

He's fortunate and blessed if you will. No need to feel sorry or sad for him. He contributed so he earned his stay. Its been a great run for Phil and we should celebrate him even if PT is diminished. I don't hear him complaining.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to feel that bad for him, he was the starter on a national championship team in 2014.... did he have any business being in that role? Not much... so I think it evens out. It's unfortunate that he's riding the pine a bit as a senior, but at the end of the day the opportunities he got as a youngster were all about the personnel we had, and so is this.

If he's not coach's best option to put out on the floor he's not likely to get minutes, but I think a lot of UConn fans love the guy, and even those that don't respect what he did for the program. No matter how foolish some of his play has been, we don't get that championship without him playing some of the best basketball he possibly could 2 years back

No matter what happens tonight and in the next few weeks, I'll raise a glass to Phil and Omar, 2 guys with problematic and strange UConn careers

Reaction Score
I'm not going to feel that bad for him, he was the starter on a national championship team in 2014.... did he have any business being in that role? Not much... so I think it evens out. It's unfortunate that he's riding the pine a bit as a senior, but at the end of the day the opportunities he got as a youngster were all about the personnel we had, and so is this.

If he's not coach's best option to put out on the floor he's not likely to get minutes, but I think a lot of UConn fans love the guy, and even those that don't respect what he did for the program. No matter how foolish some of his play has been, we don't get that championship without him playing some of the best basketball he possibly could 2 years back

No matter what happens tonight and in the next few weeks, I'll raise a glass to Phil and Omar, 2 guys with problematic and strange UConn careers
Well said. Phil seems like a great kid and was a big part of the 2014 Championship run. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for those guys. I haven't always been his biggest fan but greatly appreciate his effort and contribution. I still feel KO is a little too in love with Brimah, and Enoch and Phil pay the price for it. Phil did play his best ball of the year while Amida was out.

Reaction Score
Nolan provides defense but our offense runs horribly with him on the floor as he is incapable of doing anything on that end, specifically catching the ball or making a layup, and it is basically playing 5 on 4 because no one is concerned about defending him. Sans the Houston game our defensive has been terrific of late even without him out there so his presence is not really needed. With that being said, I am surprised that he has not gotten any run the last two games, Enoch must be showing a lot more than him in practice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He air balled a layup by himself under the basket. Theres a Gif somehwere out there, please watch it. For me that was it. He doesnt rebound or block shots. He takes charges and is somewhat decent in a pick and roll situations. Our defense for the most part is not our weakness, our offense is. Enoch is light years ahead of Phil on that end. I'd rather go small with Dham at the 4 and Miller at the 5 then see Phil.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He air balled a layup by himself under the basket. Theres a Gif somehwere out there, please watch it. For me that was it. He doesnt rebound or block shots. He takes charges and is somewhat decent in a pick and roll situations. Our defense for the most part is not our weakness, our offense is. Enoch is light years ahead of Phil on that end. I'd rather go small with Dham at the 4 and Miller at the 5 then see Phil.

In his defense he was pretty far under the basket and had less than a second to catch and shoot before the shot clock was going to expire. Not a great play no matter how you slice it, but it was a bit more than just a simple layup that he airballed.

Reaction Score
In his defense he was pretty far under the basket and had less than a second to catch and shoot before the shot clock was going to expire. Not a great play no matter how you slice it, but it was a bit more than just a simple layup that he airballed.

Phil's air ball on that layup was one of the more impressive feats I have ever seen. It could not have been any more simple.

This was not an isolated incident either. He's struggled with layups/dunks/scoring/offensive basketball his entire career

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
He's a senior. Doing that senior floating-through-my-last-year thing. Oh well.

Reaction Score
I'm not usually into conspiracy theories, but was this thread started with good intentions and foresight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom