OT- What happened to John A's Blog? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- What happened to John A's Blog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
7-10 years ago reading the newspaper basically became obsolete for me. On anything I cared enough about to see on the Internet, by the time I'd see it in the paper it seemed like it was 3 days old. Now TV is starting to get that way. I haven't subscribed to an actual physical newspaper in at least 7 years. But today I had a 4-1/2 hour flight with no wireless and I read a USA today cover-to-cover - very relaxing.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Superficial is the new '20'. Chatty news shows offering up the opinions of their "talent" rather than hard core in depth news. Specialty channels such as the weather channels are bringing in news segments and sports segments often thinly connected to the weather, trying to broaden the scope of their content, and trying to get folks to only watch their channel and no others.

I must say, we already have offerings of news, weather, and sports on the local channels, which focus on broader content, mostly local stories, true, and most times the content is better quality, less about Justin Bieber, more about what is really going on in politics, the area and so on. I have gone back to depending upon their weather broadcasts, rather than the hit and miss crap of the weather channel.

I do miss the old courant. I am not a fan of the new website.

I find wunderground.com very useful for weather info, especially since their recent site redesign.

Just type your city/zip code into the search box at the top and get a page of well-organized data. With no ads. Wonder how they manage that?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I once said I would never tweet yet finally jumped in. No regrets. You have a bunch of writers tweeting the same thing. Its good for news and breaking reports.

Plus, now I have a massive right forefinger.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Seems there is very little up to date news from John A although the other UConn writers have info posted. I know he is around as I have seen an article or two in the Courant . The link in the forum here just brings me to the Courant page. Perhaps he has been re-assigned? semi retired?
as posted in this thread... here's the link to the blog

John A Blog

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
7-10 years ago reading the newspaper basically became obsolete for me. On anything I cared enough about to see on the Internet, by the time I'd see it in the paper it seemed like it was 3 days old. Now TV is starting to get that way. I haven't subscribed to an actual physical newspaper in at least 7 years. But today I had a 4-1/2 hour flight with no wireless and I read a USA today cover-to-cover - very relaxing.

I used to do the same thing on business trips...and it was relaxing. Every morning I would eat breakfast in my room while reading a complementary USA today - no rushing, no dog..it was a nice change. I even got the USA today when I was working in Europe!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I find wunderground.com very useful for weather info, especially since their recent site redesign.

Just type your city/zip code into the search box at the top and get a page of well-organized data. With no ads. Wonder how they manage that?

It's odd...mine has ads...but then again, my internet isn't quite healthy yet.....

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I read the local paper - I just started recently, we had been getting it for my aged mother but her eyes don't permit reading any longer. My wife has always looked through the paper for local news.

As several said above, it is actually an enjoyable experience. Of course I don't try and read every article, but I look at every page and read what I feel like.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I read the local paper - I just started recently, we had been getting it for my aged mother but her eyes don't permit reading any longer. My wife has always looked through the paper for local news.

As several said above, it is actually an enjoyable experience. Of course I don't try and read every article, but I look at every page and read what I feel like.
Im in the same boat... I got a 75 yr old with me so the physical paper is a must. Personally Im good with the online version if its going to save me a few bucks. I think I pay over 200.00 for the year. (cant recall since its just taken out of my acct or I actually pay when they stop delivering it)

Reaction Score
Clicked on the "John A Blog" listed above and was transferred to the Courant home page.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Clicked on the "John A Blog" listed above and was transferred to the Courant home page.
I clicked on my link in this thread and it took me to his blog

Reaction Score
I have adjusted to email, but I do not text and I am damned if I will tweet. Or follow tweeters. If any of you find anything inteesting out there, please bring it back to the Boneyard. Incidentally, i am thinking of starting a group called curmudgeons anonymous, the idea being not to try to cure folks of curmudgeonry, but to enable and encourage them in this attitude. Whoddaya think?

Where do I sign up?

Reaction Score
Superficial is the new '20'. Chatty news shows offering up the opinions of their "talent" rather than hard core in depth news. Specialty channels such as the weather channels are bringing in news segments and sports segments often thinly connected to the weather, trying to broaden the scope of their content, and trying to get folks to only watch their channel and no others.

I must say, we already have offerings of news, weather, and sports on the local channels, which focus on broader content, mostly local stories, true, and most times the content is better quality, less about Justin Bieber, more about what is really going on in politics, the area and so on. I have gone back to depending upon their weather broadcasts, rather than the hit and miss crap of the weather channel.

I do miss the old courant. I am not a fan of the new website.

You are so right about this. Except living in northeast CT it is the Norwich Bulletin and not the Courant that is our local paper. It has gotten progressively smaller as readership & advertising have fallen. I use the internet to keep up to date but for in depth information I rely on blogs, TV and the papers, not necessarily in that order.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
It's odd...mine has ads...but then again, my internet isn't quite healthy yet.....

Oops! Sorry. Forgot I have the AdBlock Plus Firefox plugin installed on this computer.

Recommended.

You can put in exceptions for those sites you want to allow to show ads (like the Boneyard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom