What Happened Last Time A Frosh Started ... | The Boneyard

What Happened Last Time A Frosh Started ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What happened the last time injuries forced Geno to start a frosh? Maya never left the starting lineup. Perhaps Kalena will emulate Maya in that respect. Doty is an excellent leader but if Kalena shows serious game, I hope Geno continues to start Kalena. She has much greater upside. Doty is a good UCONN player but Kalena has excellence written all over her. Perhaps Doty should come off the bench when the team needs leadership to stabilize it. In any case I expect Kalena to play half of Doty's minutes due to physical limitations and Kalena's results.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It worked for Lou Gehrig! :)

Geno has lots of guards to choose from (hopefully CD is healthy) but fewer forwards. We may see KML play some at the 4 spot.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What happened the last time injuries forced Geno to start a frosh? Maya never left the starting lineup. Perhaps Kalena will emulate Maya in that respect. Doty is an excellent leader but if Kalena shows serious game, I hope Geno continues to start Kalena. She has much greater upside. Doty is a good UCONN player but Kalena has excellence written all over her. Perhaps Doty should come off the bench when the team needs leadership to stabilize it. In any case I expect Kalena to play half of Doty's minutes due to physical limitations and Kalena's results.
Geno wants to start Doty. He has said so multiple times. He doesn't want her to warm up pre-game and then sit. Doty will be back, probably for the 2nd exhibition game.

It's not the same situation as when Kalana hurt her knee and was out the year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno will start CD' if she is available for a variety of reasons that he has stated. Most importantly is that it will be better for her to start both halves immediately when she has just warmed up and is loose rather than coming in off the bench when she has tightened up again. Second is that CD' understands the UConn system and will be very good at establishing the rhythm of the game that Geno wants. Not too fast and not too slow. Two years ago when they won the championship with CD' at the PG that was something she learned to do very well and was one of the reason that prevailed. (Yes, I know we had both Tina and Maya but play starts from the point and CD' did that very well.)

Reaction Score
Geno may want to start Doty because he just likes the kid and her attitude and her previous results which were good but not stellar. However, if Kalena lights it up and rebounds and hands out assists and make really good passes, at day's end Geno wants to win the NC and will play (start) the best player. If Kalena does not light it up, well then she sits, watches, and learns. Anyone can see this is not the same situation as Mel and Kalena's knee injuries. There was Maya or Maya or Maya. Those were Geno's choices. Clearly today there is Doty back in two weeks. I am saying if Kalena lights it up, then Doty better contribute to the hgihest level or Geno's desire to start here will evaporate. Geno is about results. As Geno and CD say "we don't hand out minutes, they are earned." On his show he reminded people that Doty has played only 45-50 games. She is basically starting her mid-sophomore year ... not her junior or senior year.

Geno wants to start Doty. He has said so multiple times. He doesn't want her to warm up pre-game and then sit. Doty will be back, probably for the 2nd exhibition game. It's not the same situation as when Kalana hurt her knee and was out the year.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Geno may want to start Doty because he just likes the kid and her attitude and her previous results which were good but not stellar. However, if Kalena lights it up and rebounds and hands out assists and make really good passes, at day's end Geno wants to win the NC and will play (start) the best player. If Kalena does not light it up, well then she sits, watches, and learns. Anyone can see this is not the same situation as Mel and Kalena's knee injuries. There was Maya or Maya or Maya. Those were Geno's choices. Clearly today there is Doty back in two weeks. I am saying if Kalena lights it up, then Doty better contribute to the hgihest level or Geno's desire to start here will evaporate. Geno is about results. As Geno and CD say "we don't hand out minutes, they are earned." On his show he reminded people that Doty has played only 45-50 games. She is basically starting her mid-sophomore year ... not her junior or senior year.
I totally disagree. It's not about Doty earning the starting position. She already did that with her past performances. It's more about what is best for Doty in regards to warming up and sitting again. It's not that he just like the kid and her attitude.

Reaction Score
I tend to disagree (surprise!). Point guard in Geno's system is not the same as say Gonzanga lead by Courtney Vandersloot. Even Geno has made this statement. He does not use the point guard in the traditional sense. In the end I believe Geno will start Doty. However, if she struggles and Kalena is smoking hot, then expect Bria at the point and Kalena at the 2. Conversely, one could make a case for Kalena at the 4 if Kelly does not shoot as well as she has in practice. In this case Kelly still starts. If Kalena has game and shows it, then she probably gets minutes from both Doty and Kelly. Actually outside of Dolson all of the other players have the potential to lose minutes to Kalena.

All I'm saying is Kalena is going to push anyone ahead of her and will get her/their minutes.

(Yes, I know we had both Tina and Maya but play starts from the point and CD' did that very well.)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Doty has played 56 games (and started 55), has never lost, and has a championship ring. Geno has said she is the emotional leader of the team and the best entry-pass guard on the team.... a team that he said is going to revolve around Stef in the middle. If she can play she will play.

And it's Kaleena, not Kalena.

Reaction Score
Her past performance is ancient history ... literally. Geno is about what have you done for me recently. She has to earn it all over. Will he give her the chance? Absolutely, but she still has to earn it. He likes to know what he can get out of a player. With Doty he does not know. He knows what she could do before three knee surgeries, but he does not know what she can do after the three surgeries. Oh, he will start her, but she will have to deliver to remain the starting point guard. Geno is not a fan; he is the coach. He will do what is best for the team. Geno has a feel for the game. If she is on the bench, he can tell her warm up. Perhaps they can have a stationary bike close by.

I totally disagree. It's not about Doty earning the starting position. She already did that with her past performances. It's more about what is best for Doty in regards to warming up and sitting again. It's not that he just like the kid and her attitude.

Reaction Score
If she can play she will play.
And it's Kaleena, not Kalena.

Hallelujah! Something I agree with! Succinctly stated! If she can play both physically and skillwise, then she starts. If not, she does not start.

Thank you! I hate the KML moniker.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i think most will disagree with you, NC... not because you are wrong in that KML will get lots of minutes - she may well get many more minutes than caroline. however, because of warming up just prior to the game and keeping her body warm, if CD is healthy, she will be starting. it's no knock against KML. CD may well end up with only 10-15 minutes per game. i think it will be more like 20 but we will see how healthy she is and how her knees hold up...

Starting a game is not necessarily about putting the 5 best players on the floor to start a game.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Her past performance is ancient history ... literally. Geno is about what have you done for me recently. She has to earn it all over. Will he give her the chance? Absolutely, but she still has to earn it. He likes to know what he can get out of a player. With Doty he does not know. He knows what she could do before three knee surgeries, but he does not know what she can do after the three surgeries. Oh, he will start her, but she will have to deliver to remain the starting point guard. Geno is not a fan; he is the coach. He will do what is best for the team. Geno has a feel for the game. If she is on the bench, he can tell her warm up. Perhaps they can have a stationary bike close by.
You've totally changed your point, from Kaleena starting because a starter got injured (Maya situation) to Kaleena starting because a player is not performing.

There has been ZERO reports about Doty not performing well when she is practicing. In fact, it's been just the opposite with Geno praising Doty before she twisted her ankle.

Sure, if Doty performance is lousy, Geno might change things up. But why even go there?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I tend to disagree (surprise!). Point guard in Geno's system is not the same as say Gonzanga lead by Courtney Vandersloot. Even Geno has made this statement. He does not use the point guard in the traditional sense. In the end I believe Geno will start Doty. However, if she struggles and Kalena is smoking hot, then expect Bria at the point and Kalena at the 2.

Geno doesn't use the Point Guard as in some systems but he certainly does use the Point Guard to manage the game and control tempo. He adapts when he doesn't have that type of leadership in a traditional Point Guard. He has done that from Jen to Sue to Renee. It is a consistent part of his modus operandi.

Geno will give CD' minutes at the Point as a starter because she has earned them and because she is she is exactly the kind of player Geno has always used at the Point, a player who is stubborn and who will exert her will onto the game and who will command her teammates. CD' was almost the dominant voice on the team last year from the bench.

Kaleena will not push CD' for minutes since Kaleena is not any type of Point Guard. Kaleena may displace Bria or Tiff moving Bri over to the Point for some minutes but not as the starter unless something keeps CD' from being game ready.

It is far better to establish the correct tempo at the start of the game than to try and correct it. Once the game tempo has been set it is easier to hand it off to others and that role is one that CD' is best suited to perform.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I definitely see things differently on this point. I think in many cases, and certainly in Caroline's case, Geno has been one to show great faith and loyalty and is not at all the 'what have you done for me lately' type. He is a fan--of Caroline. He also has a long memory, and most of all he knows this team needs leadership more than anything. He is a dyed-in-the-wool believer in Caroline's leadership abilities if nothing else (and there is plenty else). Therefore, not only she will start unless she is physically unable to go, she will be on a long leash. Her minutes will only be managed so that her knee isn't pushed too hard. Aside from that, the coaches will ride her for as long as they can.

Reaction Score
I agree CD's minutes will be limited to physical issues,and KML will provide and surprise people with shooting skills and other talents<but she is not Maya that is ok, she just needs to be KML>
The last time injuries resulted in a FR being a starter is last season Bria due to CDs ACL. Geno is hoping to start CD at the beginning of halfs after she as warmed up and she will be on a short leash for her safety!

Reaction Score
Hallelujah! Something I agree with! Succinctly stated! If she can play both physically and skillwise, then she starts. If not, she does not start.

Thank you! I hate the KML moniker.

I noticed that Geno referred to Kaleena as "Kaleena Lewis" - I am sooo glad, I "blank" EVERY time I see her ""M" name.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If you look at TN the past 3 seasons, theyve had alot of talent and cant win . I have said over and over it was because they didnt have a legit point guard. If Caroline is able to go she will be the point. If she cant most likely Bria will play the point with KML getting a start. Caroline also brings experience, leadership, chemistry and continunity to the team because shes played and practiced with these kids for some time. She also has their respect. When Caroline starts KML will be instant offense off the bench. IMO the most important position on the court is a PG who can lead, direct, and take the pressure off her team mates. Parker got all the credit for TN winning 2 NCs but it is my belief that without Shannon Bobbit leading the team, being the coach on the floor TN might not have won a NC. JMO

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Tony, everyone loves and respects their Grandma.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If you look at TN the past 3 seasons, theyve had alot of talent and cant win . I have said over and over it was because they didnt have a legit point guard. If Caroline is able to go she will be the point. If she cant most likely Bria will play the point with KML getting a start. Caroline also brings experience, leadership, chemistry and continunity to the team because shes played and practiced with these kids for some time. She also has their respect. When Caroline starts KML will be instant offense off the bench. IMO the most important position on the court is a PG who can lead, direct, and take the pressure off her team mates. Parker got all the credit for TN winning 2 NCs but it is my belief that without Shannon Bobbit leading the team, being the coach on the floor TN might not have won a NC. JMO
Is there any way you can talk about UConn and their point guard situation without bringing Tennessee into it? I'm sure there are other examples you can use with either UConn teams of the past or other teams.

Reaction Score
I definitely see things differently on this point. I think in many cases, and certainly in Caroline's case, Geno has been one to show great faith and loyalty and is not at all the 'what have you done for me lately' type. He is a fan--of Caroline. He also has a long memory, and most of all he knows this team needs leadership more than anything. He is a dyed-in-the-wool believer in Caroline's leadership abilities if nothing else (and there is plenty else). Therefore, not only she will start unless she is physically unable to go, she will be on a long leash. Her minutes will only be managed so that her knee isn't pushed too hard. Aside from that, the coaches will ride her for as long as they can.

Tell that to Paige Sauer and Stacey Hansmeyer.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Thanks for yours, Ice. I have been scratching my head over this one. Why does Doty's ankle (she is the point guard, or maybe the 2 sometimes) have something to do with whether or not KML starts? What am I missing? Won't the injury mean more minutes for Banks? We have CD, Hartley, Kelly, Tiff, and Stef to start. If CD is out, Banks comes in...then Geno will be subbing a lot, and KML will be backing up Kelly and Tiff, and others will come in the mix as well. Remember, last year was crazy; we basically had 6 players, and that's why we lost the NC. This year the fine act of mixing and matching will be in constant evidence. Can't wait!!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Isn't last year the last time a Frosh started?

Reaction Score
If anyone sits down for KML, it'll be Kelly if the starting lineup needs points, or Tiffany if she's too inconsistent. Both are unlikely.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Tell that to Paige Sauer and Stacey Hansmeyer.
Totally apples and oranges. Caroline is far more talented and capable as a guard than Stacy was as a forward, and, as fine a person and team mate as Paige was, she was never going to get much pt after Schuie, Swin, Asjha and Tamika W. Came aboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom