What Does UConn do Well? | The Boneyard

What Does UConn do Well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here is what UConn does well:

Special Teams:

Blocked Kicks Allowed: 1st (tied at zero)
Blocked Kicks: 18th (tied)
Blocked Punts Allowed: 1st (tied at zero))
Field Goal % Made: 30th (tied)
Extra Point % Made: 1st (tied at 100%)
Kickoff Return Defense: 17th

I was surprised, UConn's special teams have actually performed well this year, although the return game needs to improve. UConn is not losing games due to special teams.

Offense:

Time of Possession: 27th
4th Down Conversions: 55th
Fumbles Lost: 48th (tied)
Turnovers Lost: 37th (tied)

The offense is controlling the ball and does a decent job of not turning the ball over, but the run game has really hurt the offense this year.

Defense:

Rushing Defense: 26th
Red Zone Defense: 19th

Our defense is built to stop the run and to tighten up in the red zone which is what it has done this year. Unfortunately, the passing defense has really hurt and it's due to a lack of pass rush and soft cushions. I believe most of the problem is the scheme as we have played more passing oriented teams. Also, the defense isn't generating turnovers, in my opinion, also due to the scheme.

Other:

Penalties/Game: 3rd
Penatly Yards/Game: 3rd

The team is disciplined, but maybe more aggressiveness wouldn't be a bad thing.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
They always Win at eating breakfast, Balis has them working out at a P5-level and dare I say, their practices are National Championship caliber. It's just a matter of converting all that into the games...

Reaction Score
I take this to mean...we are #1 in time spent with offensive players starring at the sidelines waiting for a play call to come in.:rolleyes:
Yup... which completely shows the ineptitude at the QB position.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
We have 2 who have a shot at playing on Sunday next year who play ST. A great kicker and a great punter. They have been great and we will miss them immensely.
We do this well. Thanks Justin and Bobby P for your years here.
2 of the best.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
To answer the question, UConn is good at discounting tickets.

Reaction Score
Head coach giving the fans 45 minutes of explanation at a presser. This for the two sentences at the previous one...Head bang

Reaction Score
Noel Thomas is good. Erik Campbell is good - has himself another 1000yd receiver under his belt.

Reaction Score
Here is what UConn does well:

Defense:

Rushing Defense: 26th
Red Zone Defense: 19th

Our defense is built to stop the run and to tighten up in the red zone which is what it has done this year. Unfortunately, the passing defense has really hurt and it's due to a lack of pass rush and soft cushions. I believe most of the problem is the scheme as we have played more passing oriented teams. Also, the defense isn't generating turnovers, in my opinion, also due to the scheme.

It occurred to me yesterday that our defense is built to stop OUR OFFENSE !
The unfortunate thing is that NO ONE else runs an unimaginative, risk averse offense like ours.
Good times

Reaction Score
27th in time of possession? This kind of blows a hole in the story that the defense has struggled this year due to spending to much time on the field. A good way to rest the defense is to force the other team into three and outs.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
We have 2 who have a shot at playing on Sunday next year who play ST. A great kicker and a great punter. They have been great and we will miss them immensely.
We do this well. Thanks Justin and Bobby P for your years here.
2 of the best.

I agree, and isn't it ironic that the two players on the team that are the least affected by coaching are the two players that consistently excel at what they do. What does that say about the entire coaching staff?

Reaction Score
Defend the A and B gaps well. That's about it. Puyol has come a long way from the first time I saw him kick. I would trust him to make a big kick over Wain.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think the defense would actually be pretty good, if only the offense could muster just a couple a few first downs every drive. The D is pretty solid in the first quarter, but are gassed by the middle of the second, because they get about 80 seconds of real time to catch their breath as the O goes 3 and out, "drive" after "drive."

The other thing a few first downs do is put the opponents' defense on their heels a little bit.

At the end of the the day though, I think the play calling matters very little if the plays are not executed as intended. One read is fine if the QB has the confidence his first read will catch the ball. UConn's current starter lacks the confidence unless the receiver is wide open. They cannot get wide open in .73 seconds if the DBs are pressing like they do...and they should, they rightfully have no respect for Shirreffs' throwing ability, let alone his down field throwing ability.

Reaction Score
Feel like Wain struggles most when we need a big boot to flip the field and help the D. He's great with deadening the ball inside the 20.

Reaction Score
They frustrate and thin out their fan base very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom