What does the investigation mean for the NCAA? | The Boneyard

What does the investigation mean for the NCAA?

Reaction Score
Though this deserved its own thread as this topic would get lost in the threads following Pitino or the daily developments.

Jay Williams said he believes this will lead to the unraveling of the NCAA. At best, they look asleep at the switch. At worse they look absolutely out of touch and incompetent. Helpless to try and control a multi-billion dollar empire.

They have already lost most of their power over college football. Is their even really a role for the NCAA? Market forces now control college athletics. Would you trust the NCAA with billions of dollars that you are earning?

Unraveling takes a long time. But it look like the FBI just started tugging the thread.

Reaction Score
Though this deserved its own thread as this topic would get lost in the threads following Pitino or the daily developments.

Jay Williams said he believes this will lead to the unraveling of the NCAA. At best, they look asleep at the switch. At worse they look absolutely out of touch and incompetent. Helpless to try and control a multi-billion dollar empire.

They have already lost most of their power over college football. Is their even really a role for the NCAA? Market forces now control college athletics. Would you trust the NCAA with billions of dollars that you are earning?

Unraveling takes a long time. But it look like the FBI just started tugging the thread.
I agree but will you trust the cartel instead? I would start by looking at ending any tax exempt status.

Reaction Score
I think there are 2 possible outcome and they are largely dependent on the breadth of this scandal. If it involves UL, Miami and Kentucky and 1or 2 others who have histories of sleaze buying players, it probably won't be that big a deal for everyone else and things will go on more or less as before , albeit without much of a role for the guys in trouble. If it turns out that only BC and Wagner are not implicated, you will see a wholesale change. But what that would be is interesting because here's the thing. You still need some national entity to oversee things as basic as rules of the game but lots of other stuff as well. The pro leagues have owners and a commissioner for that but they are all less than 40 teams. There are 120 football schools in D1 and over 300 hoop schools. On the football side the P5 might prevail but basketball is different and I am going to guess that nobody is paying big bucks for a tourney that includes bad teams from p,5 leagues but not UConn, Cincinatti, Villanova and Gonzaga never mind the small schools that make the early rounds so much fun.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The Federal investigation involves Arizona, Louisville, Miami, Auburn, Ok State and USC. The FBI will not allow the NCAA to muck up their case against these programs. They are currently interviewing ole Merle and turning him into plaintiffs witness as we speak. The NCAA doesn't want to to say anything more because there may be other programs involved. We have known for a long time that the NCAA is a weak and maybe corrupt organization. Whether the FBI investigation brings that to light in a way to make any change remains to be seen.

Sadly, I'm concerned that this will do for CBB what Lance's doping did for the Tour de France.

Reaction Score
I think its naive for anyone to think this is isolated to the schools that were busted. The NCAA is using all their might and resources to control their product, and that product is the players. Furthermore the NCAA is not an ethically model organization, they are about the money. Any threat to that will be met with, like a cartel.

A kid gets hurt and loses his scholly with no real resources to pay for his/her ed. Also the subsequent medical bills are his own to pay. He then gets replaced and forgotten.

Just saying the NCAA will sooner or later be systematically torn down. The recent attempt to unionize college players is the start. They will sooner or later have to consider upping the compensation beyond books, dorm and meals (which Bazz stated is inadequate).

Until then players, coaches, agents will continue to game the system. The players are too vulnerable, green and easy to manipulate by unscrupulous people.

Reaction Score
@temery @Fishy @whoeverelse

Can/Should we (you) create a new forum for this? It's likely to last years and the new threads (not taking shots @Palatine or anyone else) could really clog up the board with the season right around the corner.

Just a question/suggestion FWIW

temery

What?
Reaction Score
@temery @Fishy @whoeverelse

Can/Should we (you) create a new forum for this? It's likely to last years and the new threads (not taking shots @Palatine or anyone else) could really clog up the board with the season right around the corner.

Just a question/suggestion FWIW

It'll run its course. I've merged a couple redundant threads, and people can click ignore thread if the threads are too much of a distraction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom