What does Montana have against UConn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What does Montana have against UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
RM- any great trout rivers close by? Are you a fly fisherman?

Any great trout rivers close by? Yup, the Gallatin, the Madison, the Boulder and the Yellowstone. I fly fish, but more often it is spin fishing. The biggest Brown I ever landed - longer than my arm (never took him out of the water) was caught in the East Gallatin about 5 miles from my house on a #14 Grizzly Adams dry fly. The so called Lower Madison, from the dam in Ennis to the headwaters of the Missouri is perhaps the most prolific trout waters in the lower 48 with a trout census of several thousand a mile. Travel up to a couple of hours and some other fab waters available : Ruby, North Fork of The Madison, and others.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
RM- you are killing me. My Bucket list is the Missouri River. My friends own and work at Headhunter's Fly shop on the Missouri in Ennis? I think. Pretty soon!

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
It was very interesting to see is the size of the international vote... Over 2300 votes from offshore. I wonder what the country mix was and who all those voters are???

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It was very interesting to see is the size of the international vote... Over 2300 votes from offshore. I wonder what the country mix was and who all those voters are???
Now that you mention it, 18% from abroad is a pretty huge slice. Most likely suspects are ex UConn players who are playing overseas, service men and women abroad who follow the sports scene back in the States closely and want to be part of the action, Canadians who follow Kia, and maybe the same thing for KML who has a lot of family connections to Mexico. We could also point to Geno's Campanian region connections in Italy, and maybe Sveta's and Orly's connections back in Russia and Israel chimed in.

Reaction Score
Now that you mention it, 18% from abroad is a pretty huge slice. Most likely suspects are ex UConn players who are playing overseas, service men and women abroad who follow the sports scene back in the States closely and want to be part of the action, Canadians who follow Kia, and maybe the same thing for KML who has a lot of family connections to Mexico. We could also point to Geno's Campanian region connections in Italy, and maybe Sveta's and Orly's connections back in Russia and Israel chimed in.
Or maybe Stef had nothing to do in the middle of the night in Russia, and stuffed the box for 6 hours with the cookie refresh routine

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
RM- you are killing me. My Bucket list is the Missouri River. My friends own and work at Headhunter's Fly shop on the Missouri in Ennis? I think. Pretty soon!

Headhunters is a big deal on the Missouri. Shop is in Craig to the east of Missoula well north of here. I've never fished the Missouri beyond the first few miles of it here in southwest Montana. It's a big water, so knowing where to fish and with what makes it challenging. We tend to take for granted the wonderful water resources all around us. I've caught (and released) so many beautiful Browns and Rainbows that fishing has become more of a day on the water than anything else.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Oooh, thanks for the softball lob on that one.

We are talking WCBB here, not football or women's softball or golf or tiddly winks. Maybe the Lady Vols fans could chime in about how intense a rivalry the Gamec-c-o-c-ks have had with UTenn, but UTenn is 47-3 against the Game-ones alltime, and 41-1 over the last 35 years. USCar had lost 38 in a row to the Vols before pulling the upset in Feb. 2012, and the Vols have won the last 3. Is that a rivalry? That's like saying UConn had a big rivalry with Seton Hall. Sure back in 1987 they did, but 43 losses in 44 games since then does not make for much of a rivalry, more of an association between a janitor and a mop.

So yeah, the G-c-o-c-ks are maybe a new rival for UTenn, but they definitely have to take care of expected business on Monday or the Vols fans will just be sniffing about another SEC team like Vandy or LSU that tried to challenge UTenn's supremacy in the SEC and ended up falling flat.

There is a lot of bad blood between fans of the schools and few teams in the SEC have a good record against Tennessee in WBB.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Headhunters is a big deal on the Missouri. Shop is in Craig to the east of Missoula well north of here. I've never fished the Missouri beyond the first few miles of it here in southwest Montana. It's a big water, so knowing where to fish and with what makes it challenging. We tend to take for granted the wonderful water resources all around us. I've caught (and released) so many beautiful Browns and Rainbows that fishing has become more of a day on the water than anything else.
Craig - right! If you want to see some of those guys catching Atlantic Salmon on great HD - go to Restigouche Fall on you tube, or Resigouchelodge.com and to the video link. Some phenom footage including yours truly- we did some NBC Sports episodes with Seasons on the Fly! I can't wait to get out there- many thks for the RSVP!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Craig - right! If you want to see some of those guys catching Atlantic Salmon on great HD - go to Restigouche Fall on you tube, or Resigouchelodge.com and to the video link. Some phenom footage including yours truly- we did some NBC Sports episodes with Seasons on the Fly! I can't wait to get out there- many thks for the RSVP!

Born on Cape Briton Island. Fished sea run trout around Cheticamp, NS when I was an early teen. Bought salmon off the boat and steamed it in muslin ... melted butter and salmon with the waves crashing in the background....priceless. I'll look up the links genoista.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
There is a lot of bad blood between fans of the schools and few teams in the SEC have a good record against Tennessee in WBB.
If USCar merged with the Knoxville or Farragut high schools, and Maryville and Cincinnati colleges, they'd have a decent record (yes, Cinci is 3-0 vs. UTenn). But like you say, few SEC teams have done at all well against UTenn, so there's not much of a rivalry at this point. But down the road, who knows?

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Born on Cape Briton Island. Fished sea run trout around Cheticamp, NS when I was an early teen. Bought salmon off the boat and steamed it in muslin ... melted butter and salmon with the waves crashing in the background....priceless. I'll look up the links genoista.
Wow- my first Atlantic was on the Margaree in the 80's! Stayed at the Nirmaway Inn. Did the Cabot trail and went through Cheticamp- that island is magnificent! Unfortunately the salmon runs are almost non existent now there. Breaks my heart.

Reaction Score
Maybe they're in a bad mood because the Dental Floss crop was down a bit this year. It'd been waxing and waning for a while, but this year they were expecting to make a mint.

Frank...you're alive???

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I hadn´t thought about this for a long time, but many, many years ago I used to subscribe to the Hungry Horse News How that came about I have no idea, but I loved reading it, especially the columns by John Tatsey, who is certainly by now long deceased, reporting on the doings of the local Blackfoot population. He was funny as all hell! One line has stuck with me for over fifty years. I paraphrase; "At the races last Saturday, some of the local boys were having themselves a Glacier View race of their own, until Mrs. Big Bear went down and made a scattering." I can see Mrs. Big Bear making the scattering in my mind's eye!

Actually, I just did some googling, and Mr. Tatsey was actually the chief of the Blackfeet local police, and the column was actually his deliberately humorous police reports, printed by the HHN without editing. Here is another I just found;

"Joe Bird RAttler and Joseph Old Chief were doing some singing. Mrs. Bird Rattler told them to shut up, but paid not(sic) attention, so she called the police and poor Joe is serving out some time at the brick motel." Priceless stuff!! I also found out that Mr. Tatsey was born in 1894, so my guess about his demise was undoubtedly correct.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Frank...you're alive???
One of the weirdest songs ever, unless you compare it to the rest of the Zappa anthology. The only relation I can see to UConn is the pygmy pony, which might be a reference to SMU, but still looking for a team that has any connection to either tweezers or dental floss.

Reaction Score
One of the weirdest songs ever, unless you compare it to the rest of the Zappa anthology. The only relation I can see to UConn is the pygmy pony, which might be a reference to SMU, but still looking for a team that has any connection to either tweezers or dental floss.
Watch out where the Huskies go....

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Watch out where the Huskies go....
Um, I hope that the UConn students are aware enough not to use the one-day thaw to slake their thirst with anything that isn't as pure as New York snow. Take it away Kim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom