• 4yrs $11.5mm

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • 5yrs $15mm

Votes: 48 44.9%
  • 6yrs $19.5mm

Votes: 19 17.8%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Essentially, yes. I hope they go to $2M or more and get the guy they want. But all evidence is that the university and athletic department has tried to hold the line on spending for football. They didn't even have enough money to renovate locker rooms at burton. Randy raised that money himself.

Unless they have the money in donations, it's going to be tough to increase the budget athletically in any material way. We'll see, but you will know fairly quickly how much they are going to pay by the names that appear. If you start hearing MAC and FCS, we are talking in the 900K-$1.5M range.
If we can't offer over $1mm for the head coach than we shouldn't even be playing

Reaction Score
Essentially, yes. I hope they go to $2M or more and get the guy they want. But all evidence is that the university and athletic department has tried to hold the line on spending for football. They didn't even have enough money to renovate locker rooms at burton. Randy raised that money himself.

Unless they have the money in donations, it's going to be tough to increase the budget athletically in any material way. We'll see, but you will know fairly quickly how much they are going to pay by the names that appear. If you start hearing MAC and FCS, we are talking in the 900K-$1.5M range.

“If you start hearing MAC and FCS, we are talking in the 900K-$1.5M range.”

At that point if they’re not taking UConn football seriously then why are we? I would be happy if we offered Sean Lewis $1.5m if Herman or Moorhead turned down $3m a year. That would at least send a message that we tried, but if those guys aren’t at least offered because they want to save money for basketball then I don’t have high hopes for UConn football moving forward.

Reaction Score
They don’t need to pay more than 1.5 unless that candidate is perfect fit(morehead) and in high demand. RE only got 1 because that is what he was worth and he was willing to accept that.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
They don’t need to pay more than 1.5 unless that candidate is perfect fit(morehead) and in high demand. RE only got 1 because that is what he was worth and he was willing to accept that.
Edsall might have been willing to accept that but whether or not he was worth that is a different story.

Reaction Score
…Could UConn afford the money? I think so. Will UConn do it? I don't think they can politically or PR-wise.
That’s the issue. We have to spend the money right now if we are serious about being not sucky at the FBS level. Find the money somewhere. Politics and PR be d*mned. If not, our state culture finally kills the program, and with it enventually cripples the while entire athletic department (including the sacred cow bball programs, which I love). The whole top 25 public university thing will be left in the rubble as well.

Reaction Score

Exactly. But I understand those that say the current trajectory is unsustainable too. That long term it is not possible to keep the budget the same and expect the program to be around in another 5 years. So something has to give.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that while they were paying Randy they were also paying off Diaco. So they actually were paying $4.3M. They could pay 3 million to a new coach and still come out over 1 million ahead.
? Diaco was off the books in 2017. He was paid out 60 days after getting whacked.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that while they were paying Randy they were also paying off Diaco. So they actually were paying $4.3M. They could pay 3 million to a new coach and still come out over 1 million ahead.

Exactly, but his opinion is that the BoT won’t pay that for a great candidate. Let’s hope he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
? Diaco was off the books in 2017. He was paid out 60 days after getting whacked.
Just checked. I think you are right.

Reaction Score

That same year you pointed out UConn had to pay Diaco $3.4m on top of paying Edsall $1m, which totals $4.4m in 2017 alone

Reaction Score
People act like we were double dip paying. We weren’t.
The money was paid to diaco. We accounted for that money up until now for accounting purposes.

that does not mean the money is now freed up.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
1. Moorhead can do better than UConn

2. Schools that are better will outbid us

Short of blackmail Moorhead isn’t happening
"Short of blackmail Moorhead isn't happening"
Will this help?
hef-moorehead.jpg

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
People act like we were double dip paying. We weren’t.
The money was paid to diaco. We accounted for that money up until now for accounting purposes.

that does not mean the money is now freed up.
No, but it does show the school is capable of paying $4.3 million for the head-coaching position. That’s probably an easy visual for those who imagine that you can’t can’t afford to do it.

Reaction Score
I still believe Moorhead is and should be the number 1 target for UConn. He's had probably the most successive stint as OC, made Fordham into a contender at the FCS level, had one of the nations top offenses at PSU, wasn't given a proper chance as MSU and just made OSU's defense look stupid. He's seen success as coordinator and HC in the northeast. I'm under no delusion he'll come here as he'll most will have better offers if Oregon makes it to the playoffs, but the school needs to try.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom