What does it take for Boatright to be made a Husky of Honor? | The Boneyard

What does it take for Boatright to be made a Husky of Honor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Or is he already there? I feel like some have made "leading the team to a national championship" as the criteria for becoming a Husky of Honor. But that's not what it should be. It should be about Leadership, maturation, and impact on the program's legacy. I think Boat falls into this category already. He stayed with the program in the darkest times of its existence, and without him we would not have just won a national championship.

If you ask me, when Boatright graduates in May, his number should go right next to Shabazz's on the Gampel wall.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Tough to put him up there right now when guys like El-Amin and Gordon aren't.

Fortunately for Boatright, he still has another year to earn his spot.
El-Amin is.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Tough to put him up there right now when guys like El-Amin and Gordon aren't.

Fortunately for Boatright, he still has another year to earn his spot.
And Gordon should be.

Reaction Score
We're going to run out of numbers to give to players! ;)

Reaction Score
Durks07 said:
We're going to run out of numbers to give to players! ;)

I don't believe numbers are retired when you earn this distinction. So we should be good!

Reaction Score
If he's an all-American, he should make it.

That is my thought as well. He has had a really good career but not a great one yet. Obviously Ben Gordon should be in but I would probably put in Adrien, Thabeet and KFree over Boat right now.

Reaction Score
Per Kyle Muncy. Being an All-American is absolutely necessary to be in the conversation.

Reaction Score
Per Kyle Muncy. Being an All-American is absolutely necessary to be in the conversation.

I don't know if I like that rule. Sometimes deserving players get squeezed - Rudy made an All-American team, but I don't think any Husky fans think he had a better career than BG.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yeah he has to go AA and make a deep run. Only shot he has.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I mean AA is pretty much the baseline criterion, no?
For the women, not for the men.

I think Boat gets on if he leads the team to another NC. Kinda going out a limb but that's how I feel.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Boat unfortunately is working with a one year window. Not due to injury, court time or transfer. He is a victim of timing which could impact his AA status. I can't vote, but deferring to Bazz for 3 years should count for something. Bazz was not a one man team, and if Boat would have not 'restrained' himself who knows? I have a feeling that Boat feels he's just as good as Bazz.

Therefore if he can get us to Conference Champions (rank and title game), and a FF run, put his jersey on that wall!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For the women, not for the men.

I think Boat gets on if he leads the team to another NC. Kinda going out a limb but that's how I feel.
If he leads the team to another NC, he's right there with Shabazz.

Reaction Score
I'd agree if Boat had to first lead a team though a year of being banned. And while Boat doesn't have seasoned vets Neils Kromah and DD alongside, he does arguably have more talented options this year. IF we win again, it will be an interesting conversation to have.

Reaction Score
This might sound sacrilegious, but if Boat leads us to back to back championships, after what the did last year during our run, he would probably surpass Bazz. Sounds wild typing that out but I think that's only fair.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I like Boat - a lot. That being said, he needs to put in an excellent senior year to be considered for Husky of Honor status.

Reaction Score
joober jones said:
I like Boat - a lot. That being said, he needs to put in an excellent senior year to be considered for Husky of Honor status.

There's Husky of Honor status (formal, with capital H's, hanging on the wall) and Husky of honor status (informal, lower case h), which we can say means beloved/fondly remembered by our fan base. There are a lot of guys in both categories, of course, but there are the Ricky Moores, Kevin Freemans, Rashad Andersons, Nadav Henefelds, Lyman DePriests, etc who will always be in the lower case h category. Ricky doesn't have to be on no stinkin' wall after 1999. I think Boat earned his lower case h last year (following the Ricky path of being maligned for a while - then playing his way into beloved status).

There's a risk of playing your way out, which has happened to a few guys like Boone and Oriakhi - perhaps Lamb and Burrell (his senior year). Sticks maybe went in as a junior and out as his senior year unravelled. Donyell unfairly lost his lower case h with a lot of people in a span of 10 seconds. MW fairly lost his with many in June.

I think Boat will stay in as long as he plays with the same heart and leaves it all out there trying to repeat, but there's a risk. If we have a bad year where we feel rudderless, it'll fall on him and he'll be held to the Kemba/Bazz legacy standard. I'd like to think time will allow him to keep his lower case h no matter what - he stuck with the program through dark times, transformed into Ricky to get us #4 (and transformed into Khalid on a big possession), really matured before our eyes, etc. But we are a fickle lot.

Reaction Score
Think Boat needs to have an All-American type season in order to be considered for the Huskies of Honor.

Personally, and I may have already said this, I'm most interested in where Boat lands on the all-time scoring list at UConn. He has some serious potential to land in the top 10. He's currently at 1194 (playing in 94 of a total 104 games).

He's the top ten scorers in UConn history:

Chris Smith - 2,145
Richard Hamilton - 2,036
Tony Hanson - 1,990
Shabazz Napier - 1,959
Ray Allen - 1,922
Corny Thompson - 1,810
Ben Gordon - 1,795
Kemba Walker - 1,783
Wes Bialosuknia - 1,673
Cliff Robinson - 1,664

Boat has scored 260, 462 and 472 each season at UConn. He definitely has a chance to pass Cliff and Wes this season for 9th place (only needs 470 points), which would be quite an accomplishment for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom