What do you do when you can't score? | The Boneyard

What do you do when you can't score?

Reaction Score
Katie Lou never quit. Far from her best effort, she fought the entire game. This was an example of do something else to help the team win. If you knew before the game that Lou would not score in double figures for the first time all year, that Kia would go out with an ankle injury and that Napheesa would be in foul trouble and would eventually foul out, would you have said UConn would win. That's right. We have Gabby and you don't. There are no words for the game she played. If she doesn't win the National Player of the Year, it will be a travesty.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Her big offensive rebound, which got her to the foul line for 2 points, was one of the daggers down the stretch. She couldn't do the thing she's known for (pure shotmaking), so instead she does the thing she's not known for (rebounding) to impact the game. And that's just one example.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
SC's game plan was to take Lou out of the game. That they did, to their own detriment.

UConn is not just one player as we saw tonight. The lesson to be learned is obvious but I don't think Dawn and other coaches have learned it yet.

Reaction Score
KLS was getting hacked tonight. She did not do a good job of protecting the ball. To her credit she kept her composure and found other was to contribute.

Reaction Score
SC's game plan was to take Lou out of the game. That they did, to their own detriment.

UConn is not just one player as we saw tonight. The lesson to be learned is obvious but I don't think Dawn and other coaches have learned it yet.
Plan was too close to working. Someone else needs to step up. Gabby and Pheesa were great, but Saniya needs to help out a little more. Especially with Kia on one leg.

Reaction Score

I disagree. They basically had one player in Lou's shorts all night. They only one who got consistent open looks was Nat and she didn't shoot.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou never quit. Far from her best effort, she fought the entire game. This was an example of do something else to help the team win. If you knew before the game that Lou would not score in double figures for the first time all year, that Kia would go out with an ankle injury and that Napheesa would be in foul trouble and would eventually foul out, would you have said UConn would win. That's right. We have Gabby and you don't. There are no words for the game she played. If she doesn't win the National Player of the Year, it will be a travesty.

It was a great effort by Katie, she just did not shoot well. She never put her head down.

Reaction Score
Time for Kia to get some rest, and we're going to have to work on setting better screens for Lou. Lately she's been rushing shots when she does get open. Meghan made that point in an SNY broadcast-that when Lou can square up under control and set her feet it's in. This manhandling of her isn't going to stop. Coaches will tell players to rough her up until it's called several times. If it isn't called like last night it's legal. Then they called her for ticky-tack nonsense.
I've always thought there should be a player of the year award and an MVP award. By any stretch of the imagination Gabby is the MVP this year. Our core 4 is awesome. I don't feel comfortable choosing one over the others as I've seen players stop hitting the open man and getting selfish to be the "outstanding player". If we continue to play unselfish we can't lose. Last night proved that. Kia barely played. KLS had a rough game. Phees fouls out and SC loses double digit. Great game, Gabby! So proud of her and our team.

Reaction Score
I agree the effort was there for KLS, but at the same time one can be disappointed that she cannot impose her will on the opponent like other great players. She reminds me of a freshmen Stewie, lets hope she can learn play through the physical defense and score like she is capable of.

Reaction Score
I agree the effort was there for KLS, but at the same time one can be disappointed that she cannot impose her will on the opponent like other great players. She reminds me of a freshmen Stewie, lets hope she can learn play through the physical defense and score like she is capable of.
What ???? some of her 30 point games came when the rest of the team was off a bit. One poor shooting game and she can't impose her will. Puking into a bucket before and during a great game by her ans another game she was so pale and week and again had a great game . Can't impose her will ??? Please

Reaction Score

Oh brother... I wonder what you would have said in game when Maya was also ineffective scoring for whatever reason.

Reaction Score
Some people are NEVER satisfied! Geeeeesh...give it a break! If UCONN would've lost the game I could easily see why u guys would be sour grapes. Damnnnnn...even with a well fought win no satisfaction from some people. No Lou didn't have the best game but the goal of winning the game was achieved!! GET OVER IT!! UGGGGGGGGGHHHH! This one game won't make or break her status of being one of "UCONN'S Greats". Some people just don't know when to leave well enough alone! Keep shining Lou....even if some days aren't as bright as others! Forget the never-satisfied haters!

Reaction Score
Like Stewie, Katie Lou has to get stronger. Then she'll be able to play through contact. However, she did contribute, which is what you do when you're not scoring.

Reaction Score

I agree. That was the game plan...to take out the offense from Katie Lou. And, defensively, SC executed that tactic pretty well. But they must have not heard about Gabby. And what you say is right; on this UCONN team, anyone can step up at any time. Often it would be Kia, but she was pretty much disabled early with that ankle. The bench players of Crystal and Nat helped a lot. And Nat went in just at the right time. SC was getting frustrated, and her size, energy, and willingness to fight frustrated them even more. Does anyone think Crystal is operating at even a higher level of speed and energy than the other UCONN players? A whirlwind. I wonder, though, if that speed, while it opens up amazing assist possibilities, hinders her shooting just a tad. Nonetheless, in sports, speed kills.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom