What do we need to see this week to feel better about the team's direction? | The Boneyard

What do we need to see this week to feel better about the team's direction?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think UConn fans are justified in their anger this week. Mostly because we were led to believe that Edsall needed time to fix what he inherited. So we endured 3 horrific....historically bad years plus a covid year...all for the good of the future.

And all of this waiting and being told to be patient resulted in getting destroyed 45-0 by a slightly above average team. 4 years of waiting resulted in the worst offensive performance of any UConn team. 4 years of waiting resulted in yet another unwatchable game.

Yes...there are excuses....it truly was incredibly hot. Yes they were slipping out there. Yes they had to travel 3000 miles. Yes it's hard to simulate a real game in practice. But....good coaches address that before the game...and don't make excuses after.

So...Edsall gets one Mulligan this year...and he has used it. The team is home this week...it won't be 120 degrees...and the opponent has a roster of players that should be inferior to UConn's roster. Good coaches and good teams take advantage of this situation and make a statement with a convincing victory.

Winning won't be enough...they need to dominate. How they play is more important than the score. The offense needs to be competent. Jack Zergiotis needs to complete passes that aren't slants. They need to run effectively.

We had to wait four years because the roster was filled with FCS players. Now is the time to show the fans that this team can easily beat a roster of FCS players.

Put up or shut up week. If UConn fails this week that means the past four years of pain has been for nothing. I didn't expect Edsall to get us back into the top 25, but I did expect him to be competent. If they have a close win..look sloppy...or God forbid lose...that means we are in the same horrible place we were when Edsall got here.

I really hope they roll HC.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
108 total yards of offense or more, an improvement on the Fresno St game. 537 yards or less given up by the D, also an improvement. :eek: Progress baby!

Reaction Score
For me, win by two touchdowns and have control of the game. Defense has to long strong like they did in the first quarter Saturday. Offense needs to prove they can sustain a drive (more than 1, actually)

Reaction Score
UConn needs to win this week and win five other games this season. Can it be done with Randy in charge?
I think winning 6 games is a higher bar than 90% of the Boneyard had prior to the season. Don’t forget the Vegas line was 2.5! Personally, 4-5 would seem like progress to me, provided we competed better than Saturday in most of the others.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Covering the -2.5 would be a good start
Is that really the spread? Don't you get 3 points for home field? Wow.

Edit....just saw the other thread.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Obviously need improvement along the offensive line and secondary, which were question marks going in. Need sustained drives. We should be able to show improvement against Holy Cross, probably the weakest team on the schedule.

Reaction Score
He should see an athletic advantage then open up the offense abit like he promised and see where it goes. If he plays like he did against Wagner. Then its lost.

Reaction Score
Win by a wide margin. Show that the team is bigger, faster and can at least beat them HC on a physical basis.

It’s one thing to have crappy play calling and an untalented QB. But if we aren’t improving physically in a way that we can capitalize on then that will be telling.

Reaction Score
Jack Zergiotis hitting wide open receivers. Carter, Burns and Mensah combine for over 200 yards rushing. DL creating gaps for LB blitzes. Secondary not playing 10 yards of receivers.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Win by at least 3 TDs, bully them in the trenches all game and have Jack Zergiotis look like a competent FBS QB
My answer was going to be the first part of this. We won't see it but that's what we need to see to feel better about the program going forward.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Win by a wide margin. Show that the team is bigger, faster and can at least beat them HC on a physical basis.

It’s one thing to have crappy play calling and an untalented QB. But if we aren’t improving physically in a way that we can capitalize on then that will be telling.
Good point. I can handle poor QB play as long as they dominate the lines.

Reaction Score
A win is the bare minimum for me to give up one more second of my fall afternoons this year to watch this team.

A two touchdown win would give slight hope to get back on track this season. We need to be physically dominant against a team like this. Clearly this isn’t the crisp football team that we hoped for, but there’s no excuse not to be able to control the lines of scrimmage and limit their big plays on Saturday at a minimum.

Reaction Score
Honestly there really isn’t anything this week other than they should beat an FCS squad handily. If they do I don’t think there is much you can take from it. It’s the next FBS game that will show somethjng

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom