What do they talk about? | The Boneyard

What do they talk about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Two themes come to mind from the old days: the refs would sometimes set some sportsmanship expectations....set a tone for now the teams should conduct themselves. Don't know if that happens today.
The other area often addressed dealt with any quirks of the home gym that might impact the game, along with rules about how any such impact would be handled...one vivid example that i recall had to do with a high school gym that had an overhead track around it (pretty sure it was Blair), and they talked about what should be done if a shot hit the bottom of the track. All I can recall about themes at this point, but another example of the second sort that the Huskies might encounter could be excessive moisture on a gym floor and what would be done if it became a problem ....Boston Garden also comes to mind in that regard with ice underneath the court.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Two themes come to mind from the old days: the refs would sometimes set some sportsmanship expectations....set a tone for now the teams should conduct themselves. Don't know if that happens today.
The other area often addressed dealt with any quirks of the home gym that might impact the game, along with rules about how any such impact would be handled...one vivid example that i recall had to do with a high school gym that had an overhead track around it (pretty sure it was Blair), and they talked about what should be done if a shot hit the bottom of the track. All I can recall about themes at this point, but another example of the second sort that the Huskies might encounter could be excessive moisture on a gym floor and what would be done if it became a problem ....Boston Garden also comes to mind in that regard with ice underneath the court.
I imagine they decide or tell the direction the teams are going.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I imagine they decide or tell the direction the teams are going.
Is there any choice in college? I don't think I've ever seen a college game where the home team's basket isn't by the home team bench in the 2nd half.

Conversely, the pros favor the opposite - although, it was "home coach's choice" in the WNBA and may still be, for all I know.

Just curious and not ambitious enough to look it up.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Two themes come to mind from the old days: the refs would sometimes set some sportsmanship expectations....set a tone for now the teams should conduct themselves. Don't know if that happens today. The other area often addressed dealt with any quirks of the home gym that might impact the game, along with rules about how any such impact would be handled...one vivid example that i recall had to do with a high school gym that had an overhead track around it (pretty sure it was Blair), and they talked about what should be done if a shot hit the bottom of the track. All I can recall about themes at this point, but another example of the second sort that the Huskies might encounter could be excessive moisture on a gym floor and what would be done if it became a problem ....Boston Garden also comes to mind in that regard with ice underneath the court.
Blair's new gym as of 2009? does not have a track around it, Might also have been Lawrenceville.

Reaction Score
COCO: way, way, way prior to that, kinda sad to say. (Actually was a member of the first team to compete in the then-brand-spanking-new Lavino Field House at Lawrenceville,.....it did have a wonderful indoor track, but at ground level and in a different section of the field house from the court. )
Feel as close to positive as I can get these days that the elevated track I referenced was indeed Blairs,,,,stayed with me because the refs did explain that a shot hitting the underside of the floor would cause a stoppage of play; then, it DID actually happen toward the end of a bitter struggle against a top-ranked and very big Blair team up there at their court; we were smart enough to know what the refs had told us, and stopped play immediately; major problemo... we were also dumb enough not to imagine that the .refs would allow Blair to pick the damn ball up and lay it in as we watched.....lesson learned....we were playing without our high scorer that afternoon (illness), and we lost by a couple for one of our three losses.
Revenge at States though :):cool:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Many years ago referees in NY State were required by law to conclude their pre-boxing bout remarks to the combatants with the following admonition:

"Remember to protect yourself at all times."

Any way to paraphrase this for current use on a court? :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is there any choice in college? I don't think I've ever seen a college game where the home team's basket isn't by the home team bench in the 2nd half.

Conversely, the pros favor the opposite - although, it was "home coach's choice" in the WNBA and may still be, for all I know.

Just curious and not ambitious enough to look it up.
I don't know. That's why I put decide or tell. You just want to make sure they are on the side where the scorekeepers know which way the arrow is going, etc. Seems like if there isn't a choice, you'd at least want to verify it with the players. ???

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Sure - could have given your more sixty years ago
I know the feeling.
upload_2016-12-1_16-43-26.png

Reaction Score
KIB --- way too many to list, and note fit for print.
MEYER: have witnessed your struggles re "which way is up," but this bit of horizontal confusion is brand new news.
OLD B: Good chuckle here on both your message and on the cartoon

Reaction Score
How about if you call the shot, over the rafters, off the wall, hits the scorers table nothing but net. This should definetly count.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So I figure in UConn's case the conversation is about autographs for the refs' kids after the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom