What do the 'experts' think of the TN-UConn game? | The Boneyard

What do the 'experts' think of the TN-UConn game?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Buried in the SC / Miss ST game and whether SC is a #1, is the analysis of the Conn / TN game

I am a bit surprised that Voepel, Hays and Creme are still strongly favoring UConn and have not seriously taken into account our less than stellar play or the improvements TN is going through.

But all favor hyping this game to the max

Reaction Score
I think we will struggle with tall teams. We did with Baylor and UCF. Tennessee is another tall team. I expect they will give us a hard fought battle.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
We're going to lose some games this season and that might be one if things don't turn around. REALLY need Christyn to shoot better... that might get us most of the way there. She's doing so well in other parts of her game.

Reaction Score
Uconn had better not lose this game.If we had played the voles for the last ten years Uconn would easily been 10-0 against them and the powers that be have chosen this one particular year to renew an old rivalry? Sue Bird says they are just in a funk right now. As far as i am concerned this is the worst segment of the schedule for that to happen.This the one team i would not like to get a loss to.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Voepel: OK, I'll say it: Whatever the outcome, I hope UConn coach Geno Auriemma doesn't denigrate the series starting again in that pessimistically sarcastic way he's known for. We all know it's not the same thing as it was before; the other main protagonist, Pat Summitt, is gone. Thirteen years have passed since they last met. It can't be exactly the same.

Translation: Geno doesn't get to have an opinion about who his team plays. :rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not overly concerned. We have one more game to get our heads on straight (Tulsa) before Tennessee. We just have so much more talent than they do and are better coached.

Against hapless Florida, they played 10 or so with 3 bench players getting 15+ minutes or so. But against an average Georgia team, Burrell played 20 and Kushkituah played 11 minutes. I think UCONN is a little better than Georgia. In the loss to Kentucky, they got almost no bench support from anyone not named Rae Burrell so...

So it will come down to starters. Lou Brown seems no better than Irwin. Davis is by far their best player so it will be interesting to see if she's matched up against Walker, and who comes out on top.

Massengill has SIZE over Danger, but is not as skilled IMHO. Horston, the freshan, will have her hands full with Williams. I think a lot of it will come down to ONO vs. Key/Kushkituah. If Olivia is able to stay out of foul trouble, she's more than a match for them, even if neither center scores much.

Tennessee actually does attempt to run decent offense, but more often than not it breaks down after 3-4 passes and devolves into a mosh pit - toss up a shot, and scrum for the rebound. They are bigger and longer than UCONN and will get into passing lanes on defense. UCONN has been sloppy with the ball of late and way too much standing around on offense.

If UCONN gets a much needed jolt of confidence, I don't see this as a close game. But if they play like they did vs. UCF and Memphis, and Tennessee plays well, we could lose. It will all depend on which UCONN team shows up - the one who looked good before and during most of the Baylor game, or the crap team I don't recognize that has stumbled thru the past 2 games...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Will Tennessee play a zone, as UCF and Memphis did? I don't think that is the orange folks' tendency. I would expect UConn's offense to look much better against a man-to-man defense.

If TN does play a zone and plays it well, the game could be quite close.

Reaction Score
In late December I would have said UConn by 10-15. Now I think Tennessee might have a chance to win. If UConn can't get their offense going, every game against mediocre teams will be close instead of the usual blow out.

Reaction Score
it depends which two teams show up...................if the good UConn team shows up they win fairly easily...............if the UConn team of the past two games shows up and Tenn plays well, UConn could suffer an embarrassing loss..............,.do not underestimate Tennessee's height and their athleticism especially from Davis, Horston and Burrell..................they have a deep roster and are fully capable of causing UConn problems and they do seem to be playing harder and smarter under their new coach........

Reaction Score
Tennessee's physicality and athleticism make them a very tough match-up for UConn. They will be a very tough team to rebound with and their speed and size makes them a good defensive team. I have a bad feeling about this game!

Reaction Score
I think we will struggle with tall teams. We did with Baylor and UCF. Tennessee is another tall team. I expect they will give us a hard fought battle.
Yes our team rebounding is weak .. not everybody is 'boxing' out as I have seen...

Reaction Score
If Tennessee wins. The next game is the USA Team and that means 2 losses in a row! I know it won't count but still it can happen this year.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
No contest! Uconn by 30.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If Tennessee wins. The next game is the USA Team and that means 2 losses in a row! I know it won't count but still it can happen this year.

TN (MCBB) already screwed up another incredible streak. Vandy had a 3pt basket in 1080 consecutive games until last night)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom