What Diaco Changes Would Bring You Back? | The Boneyard

What Diaco Changes Would Bring You Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Alright. Now that the Verducci news is in, there is a 99.99% chance that Diaco is staying. I can't even fathom how I'm going to muster up any hope for 2017, so I figured I'd try this thread. Because the Boneyard is famous for its uplifting messages. :confused:

So here's what I think I need to even have a glimmer of hope that next year could be successful:

1) Cummings HAS to go - there's no doubt about this at all. He had a relatively veteran line with multiple years of his "instruction", and they were putrid. We need a quality line, otherwise, nothing else works. No run game. No QB. Nothing. Enjoy being the worst offense in the nation.

2) We need a new DC - and / or we need Diaco to keep his passive philosophy away from the current one. We cannot continue to rush 3 and 4 people with 12 yards cushions on the corners. No more of this crap.

3) We need a serious recruiter - Verducci as recruiting coordinator??? Does this give anyone the warm fuzzies? Yes, he may have held that position at Iowa, but...wow. And I don't think that it's lost on anyone here that the last couple of recruiting years have been lackluster. Diaco was supposed to be the great salesman on the trail. Instead, he was just a great salesman to Warde.

Even if all three of the above happen, I'm still not sure we can be successful. But without it, there is almost no chance that we can be. I hope that Benedict understands this and help to enforce this.

What else do you guys think can be done now?

Reaction Score
I meant during the off-season...unless you mean winning the blue-white game...;)

I mean even those usually look like losses.

I don't know man I don't think anything this offseason is going to make me feel okay about it. I'll probably go to Holy Cross cause it'll be cheap and warm and I can tailgate and maybe we'll look awesome and destroy them and I'll feel good about it.

But I doubt it.

Reaction Score
I'll be back.

But drastic changes on the offensive side have to be priority one. New OC, new playbook, new OL coach, a QB coach who can develop DWilliams into even a competent QB.

Is Bobby Puyol back next year? He was one of the very few bright spots this season. We'll need points any way we can get 'em.

Reaction Score
I meant during the off-season...unless you mean winning the blue-white game...;)

I read recently of a paralyzed man volunteering for a controversial and dangerous body transplant or was it a head transplant. I can't remember. Anyways I will settle for Diaco getting a brain transplant.

Reaction Score
Oh, and as it stands right now, I will be buying single game tickets to the opening game and go from there. Season tickets for this mess? No way, no more paying without seeing some tangible progress. This coach's rhetoric has worn me the out.

Reaction Score
If he gets Malik Zaire to play for UConn next season, I will gladly buy tickets to the first game. Without that, it'll be wait and see. I have no faith in any changes he will make.

Reaction Score
He'd have to change literally everything. I hate his coaching, I hate his personality and I hate his excuses.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'd prefer that Benedict have veto power over any suggested offensive coordinators and then I'd have to be promised that Diaco would not have the power to meddle on the offensive side of the ball.

And I'd also like Benedict to explain to Diaco that we're leaving hundreds of yards on the table yearly because he's too freaking dumb to understand a punt return.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what can be done while Disastro is still the guy calling the shots. He may genuinely be a crazy person, no offense to all of the ones that regularly read this board. WTF is Benedict actually able to do? Stand on the sidelines of every game with a headset on listening to make sure he doesn't meddle with the OC's play calling? Benedict-"We're not running a fake field goal again. Please return to your designated area away from the team and continue clapping."

In a perfect world Uconn would tell him we won't fire you on Jan 1 2016 as long as you agree to two conditions. 1)At every press conference or social engagement you are to hold up a card that says you have laryngitis and won't be speaking today. Every. Single. Time. 2) On Game day you will be allowed on the sidelines but you are not allowed to speak to any players directly, and your headset will actually be an old radio that only receives broadcasts of NPR. If you comply with these terms you can collect your year's salary, and severance in 2017.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bob has all the leverage - if Benedict makes the hire or doesn't let him coach the team the way he wants it will actually get worse.

They all but publically stated they can't afford to fire him - so once you do that you can't control him in any way.

Let's face it - nobody with a bright future is stepping into this mess. Unless you've got a quarterback to bring with you who can start day 1 - how in the world can you even be successful.

Reaction Score
1. Leave all game day decisions in the hands of new experienced OC.

2. HIRE an OC with HC experience .

3. change defensive philosophy. Looks like the bend but not break idea sucks.
It sacked at ND when you were there but you cannot get it to work because the offense is terrible.

4. The president and Board of Trustees need to change admission standards for 10 individuals per year to admit into the school players who can make a difference on the field.

5. Recruit some speed please...

6. change your punt return philosophy

7. hire back Coach Foley and put him in charge of OL.

Those are 7 items... could keep going but need to get back to work...

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
My take is there is no hope for 2017. Of course I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. The only change that would have satisfied me didn't happen, so I'll be watching from home. For now I'm chalking up 2017 as a lost season. My assumption (because anything else would drive me batty) is that all avenues to fund The Music Man's release have been exhausted.

I honestly don't see how the author of so much dysfunction can be the solution to it. I truly hope Diaco can change, but I've known others like him, and they generally don't.

Of course I'll be watching on TV. If there really is a sea change in the program it will be evident by the end of September. From there on I'll decide whether or not to attend games.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I want to hide the full length mirror that Diaco uses to practice running out on the field clapping after yet another disaster.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
The only Diaco change that would bring me back is if he goes full Costanza and does the opposite of all of his instincts.
Awesome. Thanks for the laugh.
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAUPAAAAJDAwZDZhYmRjLWMyMWEtNGNkZi1iNDQ3LTUxOTYxNzIyY2Q1NQ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member