What Current WCBB Players (or recent grads) Will Make Good Coaches? | The Boneyard

What Current WCBB Players (or recent grads) Will Make Good Coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Michaela Mabrey (a.k.a. Mabrey1, Mike, the Long-Range Bomber, %$&*#) received her degree from Notre Dame in May and just recently joined Katie Meier's staff at the University of Miami as a graduate assistant.
Mike was Meier's PG on for USA basketball's U18 team in 2012 (Meier was the head coach.) and played well for her. At ND, besides her long-range bombing, Mike served as a back-up point guard for the Irish (due to injuries, lack of depth at that position) and was a solid -- and vocal -- leader for the team in 2015-2016, which was recognized by players and coaches, alike.

Many people thought Mabrey would either go into communications and/or coaching and this seems like a solid fit, playing for a coach she knows (and who knows her).

Anyways, this got me thinking: What other current WCBB players or recent grads do you think would make good coaches once their playing days are over?

We know (and have been impressed by) UConn's Jen Rizzotti and Shea Ralph and ND's Niele Ivey and Megan Duffy (at Michigan). Whom do you think could roam the sideline and recruit and develop outstanding people and players? Would be fun to hear from the Boneyard contributors far and wide, from UConn and ND, to East Texas (Baylor, UT) and Knoxville, South Carolina and Louisville.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I don't think it's possible to predict someone's capabilities as a coach. Hell I wo thought Magic Johnson would've been great. Not.

And that it's his teammate Michael Cooper who has become the coach? Gotcha. (Along those lines, Bill Laimbeer. Really, who would've thunk?)

But I could see Mike Mabrey doing this, much as Megan Duffy was a coach on the floor when she played PG for Muffet. Just seeing if anyone catches someone's eye.

Reaction Score
Michaela Mabrey (a.k.a. Mabrey1, Mike, the Long-Range Bomber, %$&*#) received her degree from Notre Dame in May and just recently joined Katie Meier's staff at the University of Miami as a graduate assistant.
Mike was Meier's PG on for USA basketball's U18 team in 2012 (Meier was the head coach.) and played well for her. At ND, besides her long-range bombing, Mike served as a back-up point guard for the Irish (due to injuries, lack of depth at that position) and was a solid -- and vocal -- leader for the team in 2015-2016, which was recognized by players and coaches, alike.

Many people thought Mabrey would either go into communications and/or coaching and this seems like a solid fit, playing for a coach she knows (and who knows her).

Anyways, this got me thinking: What other current WCBB players or recent grads do you think would make good coaches once their playing days are over?

We know (and have been impressed by) UConn's Jen Rizzotti and Shea Ralph and ND's Niele Ivey and Megan Duffy (at Michigan). Whom do you think could roam the sideline and recruit and develop outstanding people and players? Would be fun to hear from the Boneyard contributors far and wide, from UConn and ND, to East Texas (Baylor, UT) and Knoxville, South Carolina and Louisville.

Those that come to mind seem to all have been guards . Shea, Jen, Ivey, Duffy
Mabrey--I liked her. Wasn't she a either shooting guard or small fwd at ND??

Good Point Guards have to be the on floor coach/General. So to me that's not a great transition.
I didn't think DT would be a good coach until the Olympic and she led dynamically and effectively.
I always though Sue would be a good coach--that's not a big deal, I think Sue can do anything she wants to do.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Asia Dozier rarely blew away our opponents stats wise but her demeanor and intelligence for the game is very coach like. She comes from a basketball family (the Dozier clan is legendary in SC, her younger brother currently plays for the men's team) and she has a very high overall basketball I.Q. Well spoken, attentive and knows how to get on players. I think she'll make a fine coach one day. She's already getting started also.. currently a graduate assistant at Florida.

Reaction Score
Asia Dozier rarely blew away our opponents stats wise but her demeanor and intelligence for the game is very coach like. She comes from a basketball family (the Dozier clan is legendary in SC, her younger brother currently plays for the men's team) and she has a very high overall basketball I.Q. Well spoken, attentive and knows how to get on players. I think she'll make a fine coach one day. She's already getting started also.. currently a graduate assistant at Florida.

An interesting side not is that : Muffet and Geno never played at very high levels --no Wnba or Nba
Pat Summitt played on an Olympic team or 2--but not Pro teams.
The three may have been ok to good ball players ---yet the 3 were/are the top of Womens College Basketball and have been since at least 2001.

The point is being a high level/outstanding College or Pro player cannot always (even usually) be turned into an extremely successful coach. (I consider a 20 win per year a top coach--at 30 you are extreme)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There is really no telling. Among the Viv players at Rutgers, I know that Katie Adams and Courtney Locke (as well as Usha Gillmore many years ago) went into coaching immediately after their career, Adams at a high school level. None were stars. I think stars have a harder time coaching in many cases because their players can't do what they could. Some, like Dawn Staley, are successful. Others, such as Magic and Swoopes, not so much.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Without having a basis for saying this, my feeling is that Kelly Faris and Sue Bird might just be able to coach up a team with some opportunity to get their feet wet somewhere first.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Tara, Kim, Pat and Dawn were all great guards and are all great coaches. Leon Barmore was an all-conference player at La Tech. Not sure about his position. Muffet McGraw apparently played professionally in the WPBL. Debbie Ryan was a point guard for Ursinus. Sun Guntner was an AAU All-American, though I'm not sure about what position.

Coaches who did not have notable playing careers:

Sherri Coale, Robin Selvig, Linn Dunn, Sylvia Hatchell, Jody Conradt, Geno Auriemma, Andy Landers, CVS, Jim Foster, Kay Yow, Gary Blair.

My point is that there's no real way to tell. It's just as/more than likely that a great coach will not have been a great player. It's just as likely that Heather Buck becomes a school nurse and becomes the school's basketball coach and then eventually becomes a college coach as anything else.

Reaction Score
Of recent UConners,

Stef Dolson, though she'd need someone to enforce dress code, because she sure as heck couldn't! But I think she's got that great leadership thing going and she's a lot of fun, so players would love to play for her.

Kia Nurse likely, for the same reasons above: lots of smarts and energy and fun. (not yet a recent grad....)

Sue Bird, though she's may be too intense for a lot players.

It's not immediately obvious for this purpose, but I believe Maya Moore can succeed at anything she sets out to do.

Reaction Score
There is really no telling. Among the Viv players at Rutgers, I know that Katie Adams and Courtney Locke (as well as Usha Gillmore many years ago) went into coaching immediately after their career, Adams at a high school level. None were stars. I think stars have a harder time coaching in many cases because their players can't do what they could. Some, like Dawn Staley, are successful. Others, such as Magic and Swoopes, not so much.
You missed the most significant WBB Coach who played at Rutgers--CHRISTINE DAILEY--Associate head Coach at Uconn--I'm sure all shall agree that without the Tandem of Geno and Christine Uconn would not have been so successful.
However, she stated, in the recent past, that she has no interest in being a head coach--and that earlier in her career offers were extended to her from top 10 team--and she rejected them..

Reaction Score
Of recent UConners,

Stef Dolson, though she'd need someone to enforce dress code, because she sure as heck couldn't! But I think she's got that great leadership thing going and she's a lot of fun, so players would love to play for her.

Kia Nurse likely, for the same reasons above: lots of smarts and energy and fun. (not yet a recent grad....)

Sue Bird, though she's may be too intense for a lot players.

It's not immediately obvious for this purpose, but I believe Maya Moore can succeed at anything she sets out to do.
\

I respectfully see thinks in different colors. Just a discussion, not argument on opinions.
Starting with Stef is a fun person and any kids playing for her will have fun. But FUN hardly ever translate into top tier programs or wins. It would be wonderful if it did.
Sue Bird--Intense, and knowledgeable and floor coach--Geno is "intense", demanding, and successful. If she can find her own Christine Dailey--wow. (did I say I've loved Sue for years?)

On Kia and Maya every word you wrote--you are so right--I find no differences. (did I say I'm part Canadian (from 1660) and I love Kia and adore Maya my wife loved Maya the first time she spoke)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tara, Kim, Pat and Dawn were all great guards and are all great coaches. Leon Barmore was an all-conference player at La Tech. Not sure about his position. Muffet McGraw apparently played professionally in the WPBL. Debbie Ryan was a point guard for Ursinus. Sun Guntner was an AAU All-American, though I'm not sure about what position.

Coaches who did not have notable playing careers:

Sherri Coale, Robin Selvig, Linn Dunn, Sylvia Hatchell, Jody Conradt, Geno Auriemma, Andy Landers, CVS, Jim Foster, Kay Yow, Gary Blair.

My point is that there's no real way to tell. It's just as/more than likely that a great coach will not have been a great player. It's just as likely that Heather Buck becomes a school nurse and becomes the school's basketball coach and then eventually becomes a college coach as anything else.
I
I agree with your hypothesis, I made the same guestimation/opinion without your facts. Thanks.
Don't be surprised about Heather Buck --Assistant Coaches in Div 1 pay s a lot better than school nurse--I think Heather would do really well in that arena.
Sherri Coale and Debby Ryan (retired) are two of my favorites. Sherri is personal with her fans--nice fan appoach.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Before we can suggest who would make a good coach, first we must define what attributes a good/effective coach should/must possess. Once we do that, then we can surmise (based on what we know about their personality, mental acuity and BB IQ) who would make a good coach. Let's keep the horse in front of the cart.

Reaction Score
I
I agree with your hypothesis, I made the same guestimation/opinion without your facts. Thanks.
Don't be surprised about Heather Buck --Assistant Coaches in Div 1 pay s a lot better than school nurse--I think Heather would do really well in that arena.
Sherri Coale and Debby Ryan (retired) are two of my favorites. Sherri is personal with her fans--nice fan appoach.
BRIA!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Before we can suggest who would make a good coach, first we must define what attributes a good/effective coach should/must possess. Once we do that, then we can surmise (based on what we know about their personality, mental acuity and BB IQ) who would make a good coach. Let's keep the horse in front of the cart.

Years ago I took a course in how to breakdown Job functions etc and what it took to do the job.
That can be done for Coaching--and a course can be set up to fill all the known things the coach should know and do.
Base on that course, or series of courses, a coach may be hired. But just knowing all you should know to coach- may not do it--THIS IS MY OPINION--there is more to being a very good coach than you can learn in a classroom or on a stat sheet.
If I followed Muffet, I think we agree she is a very very very good coach or jeff Walz a good coach, around for 2 months we'd still miss those things they do that makes them a cut above the average.

And there is no value in trying to determine what makes Geno--Geno. We could follow him around for 4 years (especially the last 4) and still not know his secret--I'm willing to bet he does not know either..

Reaction Score
As far as former Tennessee players are concerned, I think Kara Lawson could be a great coach if she should choose to do it. Not only is she a student of the game, but she is an excellent analyst and is capable of making rapid and accurate adjustments--and she HATES losing! She is also a fierce team leader. That said, she currently has a great gig and I don't see her likely to make such a change any time soon.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
As far as former Tennessee players are concerned, I think Kara Lawson could be a great coach if she should choose to do it. Not only is she a student of the game, but she is an excellent analyst and is capable of making rapid and accurate adjustments--and she HATES losing! She is also a fierce team leader. That said, she currently has a great gig and I don't see her likely to make such a change any time soon.

Agree on all fronts. Can only see a few -- well, almost singular -- job positions opening up that would interest her to leave her broadcasting gig(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom